Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhumphrey View Post
Funny, I was just wondering where I might get a new bar. I just want the engraving on it, as there isn't anything wrong with the handles. So maybe that can be done locally!? DrHK
Fleming Sales says the acrylic plastic part of the handle assy. is part# E5500D and sells for $21.95 plus shipping. This is for non-engraved handle only. Priced on Feb 7, 2012
Chuck Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #114

Slide Lock

Posted comments on a dated discussion on overall site, but not here.

Anyone use a slide lock, put in place when travelling, on the front slide? Have a couple of items I am planning to use, but just wonder if anyone else with an Alpine is using an added slide lock?

Noted noises and such when driving and riding, also some slight movement, just due to road, so hoping adding this item will help stabilize this situation.

Need to put reminder on slide mech, to make sure I remove before deploying, but otherwise, seems like a good addition. Can't reach the back portion of the front room/kitchen slide, but assume the lock would add the needed stability to decrease such minor movement.

Comments? Bedroom has pre-installed scissor lock.

DrHk
drhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Don’t believe alpine every used them because all the slides are hydraulic in nature, we have the 40 MDTS, and they squeak a lot when driving, but unless the extend solenoid was to leak a little they stay in all the time. Search the forum for slide extensions while traveling down the road and read comments of those members who have experienced that.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #116

Alpine Owners Club
Dr:

Creeping slides and movement are how we find out that there is a leak somewhere. When it gets intolerable, we make the repair.

The hydraulic system is actually holding the slide shut. So if all is well, the slide stays closed during travel.

TBS, I had to fashion a block when my bed slide hydraulics leaked and the slide came out just as I was approaching the Golden Gate Bridge toll booth. Yup, there I was, right in front of San Francisco City Hall, trying to figure a way to convert my parking blocks into slide locks. Lovely.......

Now that all is repaired, no squeaks, no creeps, no problems.

The only thing I've actually seen slide locks do, is tweak things or burn gears/motors when the Owner forgot to remove them during deployment. BTW, they spent lots more than I did on their repairs.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #117

Thanks, but I am only talking about the small irritation that you mentioned, the squeking slight movement thing. I figure the lock, and I am jeririgging a couple of ideas, to see if this addition will stop that issue.

I am pretty sure the slide isnt going out (leaking hydraulics), just want it to be tight, that's all. DrH
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #118

Pride: I believe you mentioned that little trip and the slide to me before....

But what I posted to Renipladlo, was just relating to the "slight" movement. They do sell locks on ebay, for example, but I found one that is actually intended to put across a pick up bed, to hold things forward and in place. It has an actual rachet on it, and nice pad feet. I need to cut the sliding pipes down a bit, and then reassemble. I was also at an RV show (just for kicks) a few weeks ago, and purchased a unit that looks like two parts of a broom handle. You slide it out, twist and lock in place. The guy made them to put on brake pedal, and against seat, so one can check brakes on car or tow car, without other help.

I think it needs bigger pads on each end, but it would work, too. Don't have to size alter it. Thought I could maybe make the other one and then advertise it for RV mags. Never see them there.

Anyway, I got them both, will still see if these help, and try not to forget it is in place!! Suggest a note be placed on the H system, as to remind the person before engaging....
Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #119

Here is a thread with a great upgrade for those Alpines that have engine access thru a hinged bed and want to make it easier & safer to get access to the engine or storage under the bed. See posts #4 & 5 for write-up & photos.

Its an adaptation of a kit from iRV2 supporter, HatchLift.com, and reduces back strain from lifting the bed & trying to wrestle some support under it to do work in the engine bay or get at the available storage area under the bed. It takes some strain to get this installed, you will be working in odd positions for a while. But the end result is worth it.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #120

New to the site great info guys, I have 04 34' Alpine and have a couple questions please, those that have upgraded from the large TV that comes with the unit with a flat screen what size fits the best and what accessories where needed. Question 2 is there any upgrades to help with cooling the main motor, seems to overheat in higher altitudes. thanks in advance.
donrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #121

Alpine Owners Club
donrod:

Welcome to the forum. You can do a search from the main forum page and will find various threads discussing TV upgrades, some with photos.

My 2003 came with the old CRT television and I changed it to a 26" LCD flat screen, That size just fit between my side cabinet doors. However, I would recommend an LED television instead (not available then).

My next upgrade will be to a larger TV, which will require cabinet modification. I'll likely change the amplification and switching systems at the same time.

The accessories and parts you will need will depend on what supporting electronics you'll want. At this point HDMI cable to everything is leading edge. But, new WiFi systems are working to make that obsolete.

My "Plan" has been through several evolutions in the last five years and I suspect it will not resemble the final outcome once I throw my BSWM at it.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #122

thanks for the reply
donrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #123

Alpine Owners Club
Its been quite a while since anyone has added anything to this discussion so I'll see if I can get it going again.

I have always had an issue with my front AC unit not draining thru the internal tubing and then I have water dripping down the side of the coach.

I just finished replacing both AC units and figured out how the drains are supposed to work so with all new stuff on the roof, I figured I finally understood how the system is supposed to work. When I replaced the front AC, I decided to tackle the drain issue so I connected a garden hose to the drain tube and turned on the faucet a little at a time. There was some green goo that washed out of the drain hose and I figured I had found the culprit. Not so much. The next time out I had water running down the windows again so I have come to the conclusion that there must be a low spot somewhere in the path of the drain hose that prevents gravity from doing its job.

Sooo, after some internet research I found a "Mini Condensate Pump" which is made for a remote wall mount Home or Commercial AC unit. It is a very small 120V pump unit that has a little reservoir which senses the water and starts & stops the pump as needed. This little pump easily installed up in the ceiling cavity and was very easy to wire directly into the AC 120 supply voltage. The only slight challenge was finding the proper tubing adapters but after several hardware & big box store visits I had the fittings to connect the inlet & outlet plumbing to the little pump.

Here is a picture of the pump and the specs. The pump I chose is made by a company called Refco. Everything seems to work great.

So, there's my solution to the drain that won't drain.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sahara Pump.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	45021  
Old 08-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #124

Thanks for the good advice I have a question about the seals on the slides can you recomend some type of lub to put on them so they dont stick mine where out for about a month and when I brought them in they where sticking to the wall 37ftfd 400hp ILS greenie 11
bslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #125

Newmar Owners Club
"Protect-All" or someone makes a slide seal cleaner/lubricant, it comes in a can, and you should use it every six months or so. Good luck on the top seal in the big slide if you have toppers, you cannot get into there all the way. Do the outside seal, and the wipe seal on all of them. They don't get bad if the slides are in, only when they are extended for months at a time. Don't use any petroleum based product on them, mild soap on a sponge to clean them if really dirty is a good idea, like after a major dust storm in the SW area.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #126

Alpine Owners Club
Dear take pride; Have you had any front axle or steering parts work done on your 2003. We have a 2003 MDTS. Recently told I need lots of work done. I need part numbers and any other info I can get.
Phil5944 is offline   Reply With Quote