Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #15

Did you hit it w/the infrared gun to verify that the readings are correct?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #16

Dale, makes me wonder if you have an obstruction in your coolant flow, or if the radiator has some tubes that aren't open, preventing total coolant flow. Other than that, a hydraulic fan motor that doesn't turn like it should, or something like a stuck thermostat, I don't have any suggestions. Hopefully Cummins computer will tell you something.

On a side note, there's a 40' Beaver parked next to me in my storage area that has two electric fans between the grille and the outside of the radiator assembly. I don't know if this is standard Beaver or a supplement, but it looks professionally done. They are a couple inches thick and IIRC, about 15"x15" and look like they came from some automobile. It looks like they're supplemental fans. If you can't solve your problem, maybe this would help. I can take a picture and send you if you become interested.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:28 AM   #17

Per the CC Yahoo group, the "dual fan" is the cooling fan replacement for the hydraulic powered fan, and the owner's of these rigs are way unhappy w/the poor cooling.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Mike,

I was going to check with IR gun, but after the engine warning light came on at 234-235 degrees and that is the correct temp, I figured why bother. I couldn't find the dual fan info on the CC yahoo group. I don't think that there is enough room to add electric fans. I have also thought of water spray into radiator. That all said, I would like to find out if something is wrong.

Oldforester,

The fan speed was checked, but this was before it and the fluid was replaced. If I get it out on the road again, before I get it in to Cummins and if it starts getting too hot I will disconnect the fan controller to make the fan run at full speed as a test.

What I would really like to know is how hot can it be run safely and obviously, if there is a problem.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #19

Dale, another thought for what it's worth -- where is your transmission fluid temperature running during the high radiator temps? Reason I ask is I learned a couple years ago that if I'm in warm weather and sitting at a long stop light with my foot on the brake and the transmission in gear both radiator and tranny will heat up; twice I had the tranny temp go over 250 and had the warning light come on. I found that if I put the tranny in neutral at these long stop lights, it doesn't heat up. It just has trouble with torque on the tranny from the engine and the brakes on.

So I was wondering if perhaps you have a transmission cooling issue, causing the heat exchanger from the transmission to heat up and potentially transferring this heat to the radiator, in turn cause it to heat up. It's a thought from left field but might be something else to look at if nothing else turns up.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
The Trans temp is fine, is definitely an engine problem. Fan speed, air flow, coolant flow, etc?
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Dale,

We are having the same problem. In addition to the over heating, the brake failure light came on, the power steering reduced and the transmission over temp light came on. All of this while going up three different grades.

The coach is at Redlands Truck. They found metal savings in the hydraulic fluid. The fluid smelled like it was burnt. The pump pressure was under 1,000 psi when dead headed. They are continuing to test, but feel the pump has gone bad.

Does anyone know what the pump dead head and operating pressure should be?

Has anyone else had this problem?
1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #22

Dale- if the tranny isn't involved, that's sounding more like an engine issue exclusively. I haven't looked at the older radiator sandwich in a while, but iirc the tranny cooler covers most of the engine radiator? if so then same airflow covers both. When my 06 overheated due to no fan in 1st gear (controller defective), both tranny & engine went to 240+, 242 iirc. Cummins said, "No sweat G.I.," couldn't hurt it w/that.