Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
When we received our new radiator it was apparent that we needed two more bushings as the old radiator only needed two. I also wanted new bushings.
Through Burk Morgan I found out that the bushings were supplied by Trelleborg Automotive
South Haven, MI 49090, but they will not sell to us or Cummins. This caused another week delay as we had to go through their distributor
Mission Sales & Supply in Mansfield Texas,
http://www.missionsupplyonline.com/t...g/parts/eh.php
The bushing is`part #20-02796-01
FS Mount 45
Drawing # 55/1196

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
When we received our new radiator it was apparent that we needed two more bushings as the old radiator only needed two. I also wanted new bushings.
Through Burk Morgan I found out that the bushings were supplied by Trelleborg Automotive
South Haven, MI 49090, but they will not sell to us or Cummins. This caused another week delay as we had to go through their distributor
Mission Sales & Supply in Mansfield Texas,
http://www.missionsupplyonline.com/t...g/parts/eh.php
The bushing is`part #20-02796-01
FS Mount 45
Drawing # 55/1196

40' MD Apex
Old 11-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #3

During the gear head session at the Branson rally the leaking radiator problem came up. Paul Sullivan talked about the bushing update on the newer radiators. Having already paid to replace my radiator once, I wanted to find out if a retrofit was possible. After looking at Paul's radiator it appears to me all 05-06 units without lower bushing would benefit. Check the piece of all thread bolt attaching the lower part of the radiator to the frame. If it does not have rubber bushing add some. It could be as simple as buying some large rubber stoppers at Lowes and drilling a hole in them and putting one on each side of the lower bracket and backing them with large fender washers..
I was lucky when WRV replaced my radiator they put the new style in.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #4

Wayne, I am confused. Will the bushings that Sully points to in his post work on an original 06 radiator, or do we need to go the "Lowes" route?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 04:03 PM   #5

Ken,
Yes Sully's bushings will work or should I say appear that they will. Some drilling may be required if it is a stepped bushing that totally isolates the all thread rod.
I still may add more bushings to the other end of the all thread that attaches to the frame to further isolate the radiator. I am not convinced the bushing will totally stop the problems but they should delay it.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:15 PM   #6

Thanks Wayne.

Sully, Your link points to 6 different mounts and none of the part numbers match any you have listed. Can you be more specific as to the correct mount from Mission?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #7

Wayne,

I took my first look at the radiator assembly mounting. It appears that the coolant radiator is hung from the top. There are bolts going through a gusset, large rubber bushings and then into the chassis. The gusset is welded to the upper sides of the radiator. On the bottom, are the two 3/8? threaded rods that are hard bolted to the bottom of the each side of the radiator.

I have not seen the "new" radiator setup. Can you tell me if the top mount is the same? and what is different on the bottom mounts. I suspect there are rubber bushings on both sides of the radiator where it connects to the threaded rods. Anything else?

Thanks Wayne. I am trying to be proactive and at least delay a radiator problem.

I also noticed the cheesy bracket that WRV installed on the bottm rear of the radiator, to hold the large hydraulic line, was broken, apparently from vibration. I will be replacing that.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:08 PM   #8

Retiredfields

On our our '06 replacement the old radiator had the hard bolted 3'8" threaded rods on the bottom mouunts. The new radiator from Radiator Specialties had large rubber bushings on the bottom mounts. Same 3/8" threaded rods, just added the large rubber bushings around the mount to the radiator to reduce the vibration.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #9

Ken,

Mine is the same as OldForester's. One bushing on each side of the bracket. Preferably one bushing would be stepped to engage the hole in the bracket.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Sully,
I'm confused (easily). You mention a part number but when I go to the link provided, I can't find that part number. All the part numbers on that webpage begin EH have 4 numbers and end with an A or B. Have they renumbered the parts?
Old 11-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #11

Bump to Sully
Old 11-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I used the part # on the pkg they came in. Louie Burch and Duncan Bellinger just got the bushings from Mission Supply (817) 453-1900 (I spoke with Bruce) using those #'s and the application.

I spoke with Mark Harrah and he said that it would definitely be advisable to add the bushings
to units that are still hard mounted.

40' MD Apex
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 AM   #13

Does anyone know what is the process for removing the radiator? Is the complete assembly removed including the AC condenser coil, the transmission cooler, and the charge air cooler? Or can it be removed from between the intercooler and the fan shroud and exit down?
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Will,

It all comes out as one big, and heavy, package!

40' MD Apex