Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #1

I have a question for others relative to the amount of coolant expansion that's normal. We have about 13,000 miles on our '06, I added coolant at about 5000 miles to get the level in the radiator expansion tank sight glass up to the 1/2 way mark when it was cold. Since that time, every time I stop the engine when it's warm, I get a few drops of overflow on the ground from the expansion tank.

When the engine's warm, the coolant sight glass is full. When it's cold, I can barely see any coolant in the glass (it's as low as it can go and still see some coolant).

If I keep the engine running when I stop, I often don't get any overflow, or at the most a drop or two. But if I shut the engine down, I get about a 2" diameter spot of coolant on the ground. We just made a 2600 mile trip in the last 3 weeks and it did this every time I stopped; rest area, end of day, etc.

The engine runs around 195 degrees, +/-3 or 4 degrees, so that's normal.

I'm wondering if I need a new cap on the expansion tank--I have re-tightened it several times and it makes no difference. Perhaps the cap isn't allowing the system to pressurize properly? Or do others have the same situation as me and should I just let it keep going until the coolant gets low enough it won't do this.

Any ideas would be welcome.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2007, 11:22 AM   #2

I have a question for others relative to the amount of coolant expansion that's normal. We have about 13,000 miles on our '06, I added coolant at about 5000 miles to get the level in the radiator expansion tank sight glass up to the 1/2 way mark when it was cold. Since that time, every time I stop the engine when it's warm, I get a few drops of overflow on the ground from the expansion tank.

When the engine's warm, the coolant sight glass is full. When it's cold, I can barely see any coolant in the glass (it's as low as it can go and still see some coolant).

If I keep the engine running when I stop, I often don't get any overflow, or at the most a drop or two. But if I shut the engine down, I get about a 2" diameter spot of coolant on the ground. We just made a 2600 mile trip in the last 3 weeks and it did this every time I stopped; rest area, end of day, etc.

The engine runs around 195 degrees, +/-3 or 4 degrees, so that's normal.

I'm wondering if I need a new cap on the expansion tank--I have re-tightened it several times and it makes no difference. Perhaps the cap isn't allowing the system to pressurize properly? Or do others have the same situation as me and should I just let it keep going until the coolant gets low enough it won't do this.

Any ideas would be welcome.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:06 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I TOO HAD THIS PROBLEM AND JUST LET THE LIQUID LEVEL GET ABOUT A 1/2" LOW AND IT STOPPED.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:15 AM   #4

I believe the correct method for checking coolant is to check it when engine is hot and running--correct level is half way up glass view window. Under these conditions, makes it hard to judge the correct amount to add.
As for leaks, need to check all the small hoses, I ended up double clamping all of the heater hoses [connection at top rear of engine block is a problem]. Also check the prongs on the pressure cap--they get bent out and wont let the internal spring-loaded gasket seal correctly.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #5

OldForester:
You may find this of some interest. I've had my tank in for over a year and not added coolant in 20,000 miles.
http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9686094452/m/9211038661/p/1

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:30 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies on the coolant. I think I'll try letting it go down to 1/2 way on the sight glass when hot and see if it stops overflowing, as VAGABONDMAN did. I think I'll also get the cap pressure tested.

If those don't work, the plastic milk jug to recover the coolant will be my next try.

You gave me some good ideas, and that's what this forum is supposed to be about.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I purchased a coolant recovery system and a radiator cap to stop the overflow. First I replaced my Radiator Cap and the overflow stopped and the coolant recovery system is still in the garage.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Try putting the over flow tube in a plastic jug.It fixed mt coolent loss.
APEXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote