Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Radiator Filter

I have a 2005 34 ft. Alpine with the ISL engine. I have 2 questions. (1) Is there a coolant filter and if so where is it. (2) I believe that the anti-freeze is a regular automotive antifreeze and if it is how do I flush the system and what type of antifreeze should I replace it with? Thanks for any advise. --Tom--

TomJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

If you have red antifreeze there should be a filter. Also if you have red you should flush and change to good old fashion green.
In 2001 we bought 2 brand new international grain trucks. They had red in them because we were told its better. I dont know why but a few years went by and we got a letter from the dealer to brig them both in to get the red flushed out because of problems with it. This summer we blew the engine in one of the trucks. An International DT 466 engine cost $18,000. The red antifreeze had eaten the gaskets and got the water and oil mixed together.
The dealer immediately took our other truck and put a filter on it to try and save that engine.

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #3

In using the red, it's my understanding that the green need to be flushed every 2-maybe three years. No testing involved just change it at least every three years. The red is suppose to last 5 maybe 6 but during that time a chemical sensitive strip should be exposed to your coolant to determine if it has the proper chemical balance. If it has gone acidly-- it needs to be taken out even if it hasn't been the number of year expected. It if is getting close then chemicals can be added to keep mixture properly balanced. So if red has been in longer than 5 or six years -- problems are bound to happen in fact perhaps a certainty. Also in heavy diesel engines like those in mh there is usually a coolant filter that has a slow release chemical package in it, so to keep the balance just right or close for the next year ---till you check it again. That again should be done at least yearly. By no means should the coolant never be checked for ten years and then believe the product is bad, the preventative maint was weak.

Hope this helps

Loren
Old 10-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJames View Post
I have a 2005 34 ft. Alpine with the ISL engine. I have 2 questions. (1) Is there a coolant filter and if so where is it. (2) I believe that the anti-freeze is a regular automotive antifreeze and if it is how do I flush the system and what type of antifreeze should I replace it with? Thanks for any advise. --Tom--
Coolant is actually a complex subject. Unless you bought the coach new you Most likely don't know what you have now or how long it has been in there. The coolant is not standard automotive coolant. It's most likely a heavy duty, low silicate coolant formulated for heavy duty diesels. It must have an additive package called SCA or DCA which is checked with a test strip and replenished annually.

I just finished this job and I refilled with Fleetguard ES Compleat EG which is fully formulated with the proper DCA level. This coolant is available either concentrated or mixed 50/50 with water.

If your current coolant looks good with no cloudy or rusty appearance you should be able to flush with tap water and refill. I followed the following procedure:
1. Warmed engine to running temp so thermostat would be open.
2. Removed pressure cap at surge tank.
3. Open lower radiator petcock.
4. Caught old coolant.
5. Refilled with tap water
6. Warmed to running temp.
7. Repeated dump & refill until color of coolant was nearly gone.
8. During all of the above the heater control should be at full hot.
9. No matter how you do it, there will be a significant residual of water remaining in the system. If you know the approximate volume of coolant in your system that's a good thing.
10. If you know your coolant volume, then add 1/2 of that total of concentrated coolant to the system. Then add distilled water until full.
11. Run until engine reached running temp. Pull a small sample and use a test strip to check DCA level and freeze temp.

You are shooting for a coolant concentration level of approx 50/50 coolant to water. If you get higher it starts impacting heat transfer within the engine.

No question I was lucky. My coolant system design did not cause any air lock while doing this procedure and I ended up not having to add any coolant after my first trip.

There is a product called OAT coolant that does not require annual DCA replenishment. If you use one of those then the process of draining and flushing is much more exacting. It also is much more important to top up with the same product or you can compromise your cavitation protection.

If you are not checking your DCA level at least annually you should start. If your DCA is not maintained at the correct level then cavitation can cause serious engine damage..
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

The ISL engine does not have a coolant filter and uses ES Compleat coolant. If you don't know when this was last replaced it would be a good idea to do that now. You can get more info here. Personally I use Zerex coolant. Do NOT use regular automotive antifreeze. You can use that in the generator however.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

John, do you have to use any SCA or DCA additive or do use a paper coolant filter with the Zerex coolant your using? I'm looking to change to OAT coolant for ease of future changes.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

Jim, these OAT coolants do not use any additives so you don't have to us those test strips any more. You add a bottle of "extender" after 3 years and then replace at the end of 6 years. Also since Zerex is a hybrid OAT it will mix with any existing coolant left in the system so you don't have to do a complete flush before changing over. I recently added the extender to mine so am now in to my 4th year. I assume you have the ISC so you just need to replace the coolant filter with a blank one. Mine is a WF2077. I bought the Zerex from NAPA but had to go to Grainger to get the bottle of extender.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Jim, these OAT coolants do not use any additives so you don't have to us those test strips any more. You add a bottle of "extender" after 3 years and then replace at the end of 6 years. Also since Zerex is a hybrid OAT it will mix with any existing coolant left in the system so you don't have to do a complete flush before changing over. I recently added the extender to mine so am now in to my 4th year. I assume you have the ISC so you just need to replace the coolant filter with a blank one. Mine is a WF2077. I bought the Zerex from NAPA but had to go to Grainger to get the bottle of extender.
Thanks John. That's the direction I'm looking to go to on my next coolant change this spring.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #9

I could not find any filter. It appears that not all 2005 alpines have a coolant filter - mine does not.
TomJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #10

The ISL does not have a coolant filter but the ISC does.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #11

As a general rule the ISL won't have a Coolant filter (which is not really a filter, just looks like a spin on filter, is an SCA recharge device leaching SCA into the Coolant to maintain SCA at the proper level. This was a convenience offered with the ISC, but to offer a more competitive price on the ISL they eliminated it in favor of specified Coolant changes. You can check your Coolant & add SCA when needed. Or you can change Coolant per recommended interval.

I open the petcock &let Coolant drain till it stops. This drops ~7.5 gallons, not a full Coolant change. Then add 1/2 Fleetguard concentrate & 0.5 distilled water. Then do a test. This has worked well for me at 2 year intervals.

Another option is to buy the "filter" kit & install it, then follow directions as for an ISC w/SCA cartridge.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:01 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Some of the 400 ISL motors have the coolant filter but not all. I had a 2002 Alpine with the 400 ISL 400, it had the filter. I now have a 2006 Apex with the 400 ISL and it also has the coolant filter. They are mounted high on the motor, drivers side by the flywheel. I have cut the filters open after use to inspect and I am always surprised how much stuff it catches. The filters can be ordered with different levels of SCA points to correct a low level condition.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #13

Its interesting how many opinions there are on this issue. My early 03 with the ISL 400 engine has a coolant filter--I was under the impression that the filter option went away with the advent of the Pegasus engine in 05 but that may not be true based on Gary's observations. Based on recommendation from my Cummins service manager, I recently changed out the filter with a "0" DCA-charge model and monitor the DCA levels with strips. According to Cummins, the green fleetguard stuff remains pretty stable over time so as long as you manage the DCA additive levels and dont introduce any contaminates like tap water or engine oil, the age limits for this coolant is almost unlimited. Just like engine oil, filters or tranny fluid, I think we tend to changes things out too early--expensive but then again, "peace of mind" is priceless.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
several of the 05s were delivered with no coolant filters but without the Fleetguard (SCA) Compleat coolant. Cummins advised that was a recipe for disaster and I had mine replaced 90,000 mile ago with no problems. Cummins had test strips that you can usually "mooch" for free to test the SCA additive concentration. If it is low it is possible to just add a bit of the concentrate to bring it up to speck. It has worked for me. Good luck!

zinom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator