Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #1

Radiator Replacement

After the annual service, Cummins noted a crack in the radiator. Since mine is an '06, it came as a disappointment but not a surprise. Because of the cost of replacement, I delayed getting fixed for 2 trips. But, after the last trip, it took 2 gallons of liquid and still did not reach the 'window', I thought I better get going even though it never over-heated.

Today, I picked up the coach with its brand new radiator. During the procedure, they also found a crack in the air to air cooler. Now we're back in business and look forward to a few trouble-free miles.

Mac's Radiator in Portland did the work. We'll see how good a job they did, but was fine in the 10 miles drive back to storage!!
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
If you don't mind answering, what did Mac's charge for the complete job. We had ours replaced with an OEM aluminum radiator for a bit over $5000.00. If I had had a choice I would have had Mac's build a new radiator. Since our extended warranty paid for the work I did what they requested.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:40 PM   #3

Jerry,

The total cost was $3950 for a complete new copper, brass with steel tank unit. Also included was the rebuilding of the air to air cooler and a gallon of transven (sp?) transmission fluid and anti freeze. They first had quoted $5000 for the whole job without the cooler so I was a little ?happy? about it coming in less. The cooler gasket set, alone, was $250 which seem high but I don't have a clue what it is.

There have been several Alpines there for similar repairs. I asked about repairing instead. He said that the aluminum just won't hold up and I would be back. That's why I didn't consider that path.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry or Lundy,
Where is Mac's?
Jerry,
So far mine survived a 3month 9k mile trip, although Leal's had left the air charge fitting on the engine loose (easy enough for me to fix). By the way, I was there today and Kory asked how you were doing.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:02 PM   #5

Mac's Radiator is in Portland, Oregon
503 777 4706

macsradiator.com

They have several locations in the Pacific NW.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
My new radiator has about 3k and six months on it. Have a long trip scheduled for October. Hopefully the new mounting system will lengthen the life a bit over the factory installed unit. The new radiator was built by the same company that built the original WRV units so I will be surprised if it doesn't fail in 3-4 years. Again, if it had been up to me I would have gone to Mac's.

Hello Matt. Kory is a good guy. He really helped with the insurance people.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #7

Jerry- if you got the new design, it has substantially better mounts, and should have been installed w/large rubber bushings for the stand-offs from the frame. That feature oughta hold. Can't say anything about the tank seams where several folks had leaks except if those were due to vibration, the bushings oughta help that too.

The Mac's Radiator replacement design is posted on the Alpine Tech Library here under Chassis & Brakes for those who want to study it; Mac's contact info is on the drawing.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
All knowing EM,

Mine, indeed, has the new mounting bushings. I've got my fingers and radiator cap crossed in the hopes that the new design is better. I was the one that sent you the design drawings from Mac's. Alas, I couldn't use em.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:56 PM   #9

"All knowing EM"
More like All Forgetting EM. Ask EngineerAnnie.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry & I got same new radiator & same installation at Leal's in San Jose. That is why we check up on each other...and so far so good!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinom View Post
Jerry & I got same new radiator & same installation at Leal's in San Jose. That is why we check up on each other...and so far so good!
Looks like I'll be next?
Zinom, is your new unit aluminum or Brass and Copper?

Dan
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Dan & Patty,
Aluminum & like Jerry Said: the "new" design from the OEM and Leals mounts it with plenty of rubber gaskets. I'll be in miramar if you get there you can take a look. Or, call & come by some day.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
If you don't mind answering, what did Mac's charge for the complete job. We had ours replaced with an OEM aluminum radiator for a bit over $5000.00. If I had had a choice I would have had Mac's build a new radiator. Since our extended warranty paid for the work I did what they requested.
Jerry/Judy,
Who do you use for extended warranty that covered the radiator. I'm looking to switch plans and that's seems like a good coverage.
Shar

2016 Newmar Ventana
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fly,

When we purchased our coach from Guaranty in Junction City we purchased an extended warranty from the dealer. The warranty company is United States Warranty.800-233-9878

In order to get the radiator repaired through them we had to jump through many hoops. If we hadn't had supporting documents showing that we followed the mfg's service procedures EXACTLY they would not have paid a dime. As it was, we were forced to replace the old radiator with an exact OEM unit and the shop that did the work spent a great deal of time with the insurance rep trying to get everything ok'ed.

I will say this, we recovered every cent we spent on the policy so it turned out to be a good deal for us. We have since had our refrigerator repaired and they covered all costs with no problem.