Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:04 PM   #1

Radiator Replacement Follow Up

Hi All,
Thanks to everyone for their input on my radiator situation. (Posted February 13) Special thanks to Engineer Mike for steering me in the proper direction to find a new radiator. Another big thanks to Burk Morgan in Washington for his fast shipping of a new radiator. OEM that he had several of. He bought a number of items at the Western RV liquidation auction.
If anyone finds themselves needing to replace their radiator, drop me a PM. I can give you LOTS of info that I learned the hard, expensive way that might save you some time, trouble, and money.
My coach is an '05 and it seems that Alpines in that age bracket had an inferior radiator and vibration isolation grommets. Being an aluminum radiator, I have been told that repairs can be "iffy" and replacement with new is the way to go. Also, my local Cummins shop had quoted me 16 hours for R and R so I didn't want to risk a repair that might fail. I was also told that the radiators were tending to fail at around 50K miles. Mine had 49K. Ah, well.
Hope everyone has a great travel season.
Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #2

Consider yourself lucky, many of the aluminum radiators in the '05 and '06 coaches failed much earlier. Mine went at about 12,000 and that was considered about average at the time.* The problems with the aluminum radiators were not only that of Alpine Coaches, but several other manufacturers as well. My choice was to not replace with another aluminum unit but to go to the old reliable steel and brass designed and built to OEM specifications by Mac's Radiators in Portland, OR.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:59 PM   #3

Thumbs up radiator

Mine 2 yrs. ago with around 45 to 50,000 miles had to cough up about 6,000 dollars to have one made. This one is made out of copper and steel was told it would last along time. Mine is a 2005 it split at a seam. Just hope this one last awhile.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #4

Mine died at 11,000 miles and I replaced it with steel and copper based on the OEM specs. Vibration kills the aluminum joints--nothing worse than seeing a puddle of green fluid sitting below the radiator when prepping for a trip with the coach!
Old 03-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #5

Just to be clear--the basic problem with the circa 05-06 radiators was that the manufacturer used an epoxy-based sealing technique vs welding/brazing. Aluminum has been and continues to be an appropriate material for radiators. Is steel and copper better? Probably. .....and more expensive too, I would imagine....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Did all the 2006 have the aluminium radiators?
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #7

Pretty sure every Alpine ever made had an OEM aluminum radiator, even the "new and improved" radiators used in later Alpines were aluminum....again, the problem was the epoxy seams...not the aluminum.....I would be curious to know the difference in cost between a replacement aluminum radiator vs the steel and copper being advocated in this thread?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are not alone. Country Coach and I believe Monaco had radiator problems during the late 2003 - mid 2007 model years. As noted it was due to the method (epoxy) used to bond the core to the tanks that resulted in failures. I have one and it is still holding up at 52K miles so holding my breath.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
2002 Monaco Diplomat

Just found during inspection a small leak in the radiator (aluminum) was found. Cummins wants to pull radiator out and send to radiator repair to see if it can be fixed. If not, must come up with a plan B. In meantime, husband located a source for 2 tested radiators (one alum and one steel) that will fit our Monaco. We are stumped in what to do. I keep hearing aluminum can't be repaired or re-cored. We don't want to put tons of money in labor between Cummins and a radiator shop to tell us we need a rebuild or they can't fix it.

Any input appreciated. CAN aluminum radiators be repaired. We don't know where the leak is at this point.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #10

We had a small leak in our radiator years ago and the shop wanted 6000 plus to replace it as they couldn't recore it. I went next door to Walmart and bought some radiator leak stop stuff and put that in and after a couple of miles of driving it set and no more leak. This lasted for another 5 years and was still good when we sold the unit. I've heard some truckers have used egg whites and pepper to do the same.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:59 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Radiator

We do have an extended warranty and the radiator is covered, but insurance companies all play the this is how much we will give for labor and material game so we don't know how this will end up yet. That is why I am looking for more information about the radiator issue.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #12

My understanding is that aluminum radiators can be repaired but the problem with these particular radiators is that the manufacturer "experimented" with using an "epoxy-based" seal for the seams vs the std weld/braze. These epoxy radiators can not be repaired. In terms of warranty reimbursement, I see a lot of discussion about copper/steel radiators vs aluminum. Seeing that aluminum is otherwise a perfectly good material for radiators, I suspect many warranty companies might not spring for full reimbursement of what is probably a more expensive steel/copper replacement.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:15 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
No repair -- must replace

Just got the dreaded phone call...radiator cannot be repair, must be replaced. Cummins contacting warranty company. It is an aluminum radiator on a 2002 Monaco Dip.

Must cancel vacation to Florida trip, don't know what the cost is going to be yet. There is nothing fun about this right now.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #14

Call Source One Engineering. They have the radiator replacement for your Monaco with perfect fit and finish and heavy duty. Jim at 1-541-343-0293, I do know the radiator is vastly improved over the original. I called regarding my radiator on my 2004 Diplomat and gave him the information on my data card (can get your data card info emailed from Monaco Tech support) 1-877-466-6226, I had a Transpo radiator according to my data sheet. I had to send Jim a picture to make sure. He verified my radiator was one that Monaco did not have problems with however they did have problems with the radiators shortly before my build date. They run $2500 plus shipping plus installation. I thought I had over heating issues but my radiator required a thorough cleaning several times.

Tags
radiator, replace, replacement