Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Since I now have an anti-freeze puddle under my coach I have begun the search for a replacement. Mark Harrah had mentioned that someone bought WRV's stock of new radiators at the auction. Does anyone know who that person is and his contact?

Thanks,

Sully
2006 40'MD Apex

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Since I now have an anti-freeze puddle under my coach I have begun the search for a replacement. Mark Harrah had mentioned that someone bought WRV's stock of new radiators at the auction. Does anyone know who that person is and his contact?

Thanks,

Sully
2006 40'MD Apex

40' MD Apex
Old 09-25-2008, 08:46 PM   #3

Sully,

I didn't see a lot of the older style radiators at the auction, just several for the newer SE's with the 425 engine. I got one of the last Radiator Specialties radiators replacement radiators from WRV for my coach, along with the rubber bushings that reduce vibration are necessary to properly mount the new design. That said, there may be one or two of the aluminum replacements made by Radiator Specialties in Sacramento hanging around.

If you can't get a new one from Radiator Specilaties, along with the bushings from somebody, I would suggest you have a new one made by Macs Radiator in Portland, OR at http://www.macsradiator.com/.

They have made a number of radiators for Alpines, and make them out of copper, brass, and steel, instead of aluminum so they will last longer with fewer vibration problems. They might want your old radiator to make the new one fit just right, but they might be able to use one of the previous patterns.

Hope that helps; Macs is very helpful if the alternatives don't work.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 AM   #4

Sully,

Please state your year vehicle and mileage. I'm trying to forecast when I should expect the "puddle".

Thanks
Old 09-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #5

Onan Indiana in Elkhart IN replaced my leaky radiator last summer. They ordered a replacment from Radiator Specialites in CA. Delivery was about 3 weeks. After radiator delivery, I took coach in and ONAN IN replaced the radiator in about 8 hours.
They are a Cummings Coach Care service center and the shop has their own Alpine RV that they use for various RV shows when displaying their generators & services. They are aware of the need for the vibration mounts to ward off future problems with RS radiators.
BTF
05 40FDQS
Old 09-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #6

Retired Fields:

Our '06' radiator failed in March after owning the coach for 1 1/2 years and 26,000 miles of driving. Our coach was built in October 2005, so that should help with your timing question. Others have failed earlier, and later, but it seems the '06's and the late 05's have had the most issues.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 AM   #7

Mine is a early 05 purchased in Sept. of 04. Replaced mine in july of this year. Had customed built by Gary Brott at Akron Radiator (100 miles east of Denver) Steel, Brass & Copper, inc. new brass oil cooler, He thoroughly knows his business. Was about $2600. He will need your old radiator to match up mount, I used a slightly smaller tube size with 5 core. Went over the Rockies in Aug in very hot weather and engine ran considerably cooler than old radiator. Highly recommend. I can be reached at 702-994-6300 if any questions. Larry
Old 09-27-2008, 01:45 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Paul & Dale:

I hope you are both well. I was watching World of Trucks on TV and one of the advertisers was Ace Radiators, 1-877-223-7237 and they indicated that they can repair or rebuild radiators for big trucks. Why don't you contact them and they be able to assist. They have shops in Missouri, Indiana, Georgia & California.

Good luck on having the Radiator repaired.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Found the radiator and charge air cooler bought at the WRV auction through Burke Morgan in Yakima. He saved my warranty carrier $1,000.00 and Dale & I a 4 weeks wait if ordered through J B Radiator Specialties in Sacramento. We hope to get the new radiator by Sat. and on the road again by Monday.

Thanks to all for your help.

40' MD Apex
Old 09-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #10

Sully,

Who is your extended warranty carrier that covers the radiator? What has been your experience with them?
Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
We bought a contract from US Warranty through Guaranty RV in Junction City. So far they have paid two claims. They were sticklers that I show
invoices for the proper radiator services and that the anti-freeze had been tested. I was worried when they made me jump through hoops, but today they came through with the coverage.

40' MD Apex
Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Correction, Burke only has the radiator so we are back to square on on the charge air cooler! MORE WILL BE REVEALED!

40' MD Apex
Old 10-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #13

In January of this year the Cummings shop in El Cajon had CAC's from a manufacture with a very low failure rate. Cummings indicated 95% of the standard CAC they received failed a pressure test prior to installation. The previous owner of our 2000 38 foot Alpine repaired or replaced the CAC at about 37,000 miles. Our CAC tested OK in January of 2008 at 57,000 miles. We had the turbo replaced because of broken and loose bolts attaching the turbo which resulted in some pitting of the vanes and vibration.
Rod
Old 10-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Not out of the wood work yet, but the radiator Burk Morgan found me is in Chicago and should be here by Wed. I am looking for the radiator bushings since one has disappeared since it was taken apart.
Dane Frampton gave me the part #55-1194 from Trelleborg www.trelleborg.com/ ,
but they will not deal except through on of their dealers. I was sent to Mission
Supply 888-481-0008 www.missionsupplyonline.com Since they couldn't get
them till Friday I am trying locally but thought you might want their info.

Our Air Charge Cooler is at American Radiator in St. Louis who was willing
to repair it after the shop Cummins uses said they couldn't do it. I watched them
Am Rad pressure test it in their tank and realized I could fix it with the gasket,
but I left it with them and ordered the gaskets from J. B. Rad Specialties and
will get it back tested tomorrow. The type of construction of my ACC is suspect
at best since it seems that the tanks on all the others are welded not bolted.

40' MD Apex