Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Alpine Radiator Top Isolators

Just checking to see if you all got my recommendation for the top radiator isolator.

I finished replacing my radiator in March 2016 and then went into shoulder repair which had me off line for several months.

If you still need the info you can get them at Mission as well. Attached is a PDF file with part numbers and photos. The price is under $20 each and they are far superior to the OEM pieces.

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #16

Jim,

Yes, would appreciate PN, source and cost.

Also, if you know what years coaches use the same parts.

Did not see a PDF-- can you post a link?

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #17

My understanding of the earlier thread on this issue is that 05 and 06 owners are looking for new bushings [top and bottom]. This is in conjunction with replacing their OEM leaky epoxy-sealed radiators. Unless you are replacing a radiator, the issue of finding top end bushings is probably not going to come up. Fortunately for Alpine owners, only 05 and 06 models have had significant radiator problems.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Vibration Isolators - Radiator

BRETT:
I attempted to attach the information as a PDF file but guess it didn't work. I guess the post won't accept PDF files.

The part numbers are as follows:

Drawing Number Trelleborg Part Number
EH 4850 A 20-00621-01
EH 4850 B 20-00620-01
EH 6463 A 20-00619-01
EH 6463 B 20-00618-01
EH 9075 A
EH 9075 B 20-00616-01

Go to Missions web site (missionsupplyline.com) and select EH Vibration isolators then go to "view page for selecting correct vibration isolators" to get the measurements of the applications.

If that doesn't work let me know and I will send you one I had left over so you can see the difference. (hartsnet@yahoo.com)

Jim
Old 10-06-2016, 08:42 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout:

Yes the isolator discussion is concerned with the Alpine radiators. Mine failed and when replacing it I discovered the top isolators were installed upside down which resulted in no vibration dampening. After a year or two the weight of the stack assembly (radiator, fan assy, charge air cooler, and the AC condenser) which weighs approximately 420 pounds, are all bolted together and hung on the radiator end tank lugs. It crushes the rubber isolator to the point that there is no longer any vibration dampening. In my opinion that contributed to the failure of the epoxied radiators. The new isolators described in my post to Brett are designed to do the job the OEM isolators were supposed to. Just my opinion however. There is more to the story however, if you will go back to my post earlier they year I attempted to explain a modification that worked well for me to protect the new radiator, there should be some drawings as well. If you want copies let me know and you can draw your own conclusions.

Thanks

Jim
Old 10-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsnet View Post
Old Scout:

which weighs approximately 420 pounds, are all bolted together
Jim

Did you mean 42 LBS?
Old 10-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #21

Nope--that would be 420 lbs. Appreciate the explanation--probably worth a "look-see" on my 2003 to see how mine are doing. Curious--do you think you would have to dis-assemble/remove the radiator stack to replace the isolators?
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #22

Keep in mind that the 420 pound figure is for the WRV/OEM aluminum coolant radiator. Earlier WRV model years used brass and steel units (as well as the replacements from Mac's of Portland, OR) where you will find the weight of the stack increased considerably.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Parkereng

NO, the fan assembly weighs around 140 lbs, the radiator (empty) weighs about the same (140), the hot side cooler (air coming from the turbo) weighs about 80 pounds, the engine oil cooler thats bolted onto the bottom of the hot side cooler (also empty) weighs about 30 lbs, and the dash A/C condenser with its support frame weighs about 30 lbs. I don't have the exact numbers here to reference but if you need those numbers I will search my files and give them to you exactly as I weighed each piece on my work bench. You want to know why repair shops want 15 hours to remove the components and 15 hours to reinstall? I hired a retired diesel mechanic to help me replace my radiator and believe me, if I also hadn't had a hydraulic lift cart to handle the pieces I would not have been able to do the job. The whole package is bolted together as an assembly and it is all hung on the radiator end tanks lugs which are hung on the steel structure which is bolted to the frame. A very stupid design but I'm sure it saved time in the production line. To make matters worse they mounted the radiator's lugs with an inferior vibration isolator, in my case the isolator was installed upside down!

Sorry for the rant but there is no excuse for such engineering, we all had paid the repair costs.

Jim
Old 11-25-2016, 10:04 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
http://www.missionsupplyonline.com/pdf/EH.pdf

These are for the bottom mount. The top mount is still elusive. When our radiator was replaced, I bought 4 of the 55/1194-45's but they only used 2 of them, saying that the top mounts were different and mine looked brand new so they didn't replace them. I hope this doesn't end up biting me in the foot later on down the road.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
I think you should keep an eye on your OEM isolators and if they start crushing down they lose their vibration dampening capability which will eventually damage your radiator.

The 55/1194-45 units have a much higher load carrying capability than the OEM pieces I found holding up my radiator (which failed). On one of the posts I attached a photo my OEM pieces that were crushed from the weight of the assembly.

Jim
Old 11-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
How on earth is one able to examine the top mounts without disassembling all the shrouding?
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Old 11-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #27

Todd, good question. I use a fiber optic scope that is about 2.5' long and fish it up and around the turbo hose connections. I know of at least three of us with 2006 models that have had radiator failures and have found the top vibration isolation dampers installed upside down. If you can get a mirror or scope up in that mount area you should be able to see if the dampers are installed correctly.
If you can see the large end of WRV's damper installed between the top of the radiator mounting bracket and the bottom of cantilevered frame supports, the isolators are upside down. The large end of the isolators should be visible on the bottom sides of the radiator brackets, that way they are providing a large cushion area for the downward vertical support to the radiator and its associated package components.
It's my bet that there was a period of manufacturing at Yakima where more than just three units went out the door with these isolators installed incorrectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3841.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	145440   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3824.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	145441  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3815.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	145442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3811.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	145443  

Old 11-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Dick. Say, could you bring that fiber optic scope with you to Qzsite by chance? I sure would appreciate it. I wish I would've had this info last Monday.

2014 Honda CRV w/navi

Tags
radiator, vibration