Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #1

Re: ABS light staying on

Is it okay to just ignore the ABS light staying on. Ours has been on for about a year or more. Everything seems okay so we just go on. What does concern us is the Jack light will come on for no reason & the ringing is awful. We pull over asap & sometimes is goes off but more over it will stay on for several miles. Also, our brake peddle started not coming all the way up & now it does not come up at all. Going to Freight Liner Tues. but hate to pay if all it needs is serviced. Any advise for these three problems?
bobbi2063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #2

When a abs light is on the abs system is not working and it is just regular brakes like we use to have a abs light on will still pass state inspection in Texas so I would not think it would be a big safety issue.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #3

Welcome to iRV2.

The ABS system is a supplement to the service brake system, and the ABS light " on" is to warn the driver that the ABS operation is not available. A problem that will turn the light on MAY be an indicator of a problem that could cause problems with the service brakes, and should be checked out, then you can make a decision on repair.
Brand name of you jack system would help, but if your coach is ,HWH system equipped, there are many posts on maintenance of the jacks, replacement of weak return springs, faulty jack down sensors, and cycling of the retract process, on start up, after fuel stops; to prevent heat expansion in the system from lowering one jack and triggering the alarm. ( I have to do this.) The HWH system will time out after 2 mins, so you can start up and drive.
Brake pedal not returning. Have it checked and repaired ASAP.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Re: ABS light staying on

Bobbi, you have a HWH jack system. Have you checked the fluid level, i suspect it may be low causing you warning tone. Also look at the panel when the tone is sounding, if it shows a jack down check that pressure switch.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Do a google search on
Accessing Meritor ABS Diagnostic Codes - iRV2 Forums

It has a PDF on ABS blink codes.
When jack light comes on, just power on HWH system and hit store.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know what they find.

I ran into two guys at a campground and one of them said his ABS light had been on for three years and the other guy said his had been on for a year. Both were diesels and neither of them had made any effort to find out what the problem was.

I've had three panic stops where the ABS engaged and if my ABS light came on I'd get it fixed pronto. You need all the help you can get stopping these rigs.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #7

Bobbi2063--Welcome to IRV2, with only two posts, I am "assuming" you are new to IRV2. First off, you didnt mention what model and year of your Alpine--harder to help you without it. Suggest you put this info in your IRV2 signature block. Second, the power of IRV2 is the wealth of historical data captured over the years...try using the "search" function on this forum--we have all been there and done that.

There is quite a bit of info on the forum regarding all three of your questions:

1] The ABS light is a common issue on many models--mine has been off and on for years. Read "Greenmachines" recent posts--he has gone farther into the issue than anyone I know. Most likely cause of an ABS light is a wheel sensor issue--but believe you need a special connector and software for our ABS model to do fault code analysis. The ABS is supplemental to the primary brake system but not sure the ABS light means it if fully is off-line. Unless you are driving in alot of rain, snow or ice, the ABS never activates [13 years and 165k miles and have never had it activate]. School bus companies may be your best bet for technical assist, most trucking repair facilities wont know the system.

2] The HWH jack warning is a common issue: usually caused by the driver's side rear jack creeping down [only an inch or so] due to heat from the radiator stack. Make sure you let the HWH panel complete its store routine before interupting/starting engine. If you initially level the jacks, then do a re-level [uneven ground], one or more of the jacks will often creep the next day[why?????]. Last, turning the system on and hitting the store button while underway will usually solve the problem. On rare occasions, I have had to stop and use a pry bar to raise the jack.

3] On 2003 and earlier coaches, the pivot arm on the brake [in the wheel well, below the drivers seat] has a grease zerk that needs attention once a year or so. On 2004 and newer coaches [adjustable pedals], the pivot arm is on the front bulk head and is not serviceable--some owners have installed a grease zerk to lub the pivot shaft.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, light