Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #1

One of the Xantrex RS2000 fans runs 24/7 when the inverter is doing anything, other than standby mode. That is why my fan froze and I had to replace it in August. Also, the fan is noisy, especially at night while trying to sleep. There must be a better way, while hooked up to shore power.

Yesterday, I added a couple of circuit breakers and wiring to the two 110v panels, and can now easily turn off and by-pass the Xantrex while still having full 110v in the coach. The Xantrex is in standby mode and no fans are running. My solar panels will keep the batteries charged, on most days, and when needed, I can throw a couple of breakers and turn the Xantrex on for an hour to fully charge the batteries.

Noticeably quieter at night now...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #2

One of the Xantrex RS2000 fans runs 24/7 when the inverter is doing anything, other than standby mode. That is why my fan froze and I had to replace it in August. Also, the fan is noisy, especially at night while trying to sleep. There must be a better way, while hooked up to shore power.

Yesterday, I added a couple of circuit breakers and wiring to the two 110v panels, and can now easily turn off and by-pass the Xantrex while still having full 110v in the coach. The Xantrex is in standby mode and no fans are running. My solar panels will keep the batteries charged, on most days, and when needed, I can throw a couple of breakers and turn the Xantrex on for an hour to fully charge the batteries.

Noticeably quieter at night now...

Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 AM   #3

Great Idea, is there a potential problem if you forget to open the inverter breaker before throwing the bypass breakers? I like the concept but I know eventually I would forget and have both circuits active?
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:01 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
If the noise at night bothers you, just turn off the charging function (I can just hit the button on the panel in the kitchen) and the few monitors will run on batteries for the night. Hit "Charge" again in the morning and the batteries will recharge while plugged into shore power.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:10 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Barb,

With the RS2000 turning off the charger or inverter from the panel will not shut off the fan, it has to be set to the stand-by mode.

Ken,

Having multiple sources of power to one load is not recommended, due to many problems that can occur, one being feed back loops. This is where the power is fed to some place that you did not intend it to go. (If someone other than yourself starts flipping circuit breakers.)

I would recommend using a couple of dpdt contactors in place of the 2 circuit breakers. I would wire them so that they completed the circuit as it was wired when they were not powered and then by-passed the inverter when they were powered. They could be placed in a box by the electrical panel and powered by a remote switch, labeled "By-pass". I used a single relay for the same purpose on my circuit for the AGS.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #6

Wayne, Yes, I believe there may be a problem with both breakers on. At a minimum, in invert mode, the inverter would also be powering everything on that 110v leg (air conditioner, water heater, refer, etc.). I don't know what would happen with the shore power active. I did make sure to use the same 110v leg for the inverter input and the by-pass, so no 240v short.

Dale, I thought about relays, but did not have local access to 110v / 30 amp relays. I did clearly label the setup as a reminder not to have both breakers on at the same time.

I agree, not the ideal setup, but with a little caution, should be OK.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Ken,

Here is a source that I have used when I can't find what I want locally.

Allied Electronics

Actually you could use single pole relays, I was thinking of my new RS3000. You said that you are leaving the inverter in stand-by mode, does that mean that you are keeping power to it and if so why? If you are keeping power to it, the same could be accomplished with one SPDT relay on the output.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #8

Dale, thanks for the relay info. No power to the inverter which puts in in "standby" mode. If I need to charge the batts, just throw the input breaker and the inverter starts charging automatically. Throw the breaker again and the inverter goes back to standby mode. The output breaker always remains off while on shore power.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
In thinking about it, that could still be accomplished with one DPDT relay.

Contact 1.
common = power from inverter circuit breaker.
NC = inverter input.
NO = by-pass (jumper to NO on contact 2.)

Contact 2.
Common = power out to inverter C.B. Box.
NC = inverter output.
NO = by-pass.

Run wires for powering the relay to a switch installed by the inverter control panel. OFF is normal operation and ON is the inverter off and by-passed.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #10

Yes, that is correct. I am using 4 breakers to accomplish this, which equates to a DPDT switch.