Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Rear End Cap Trim is starting to come off

All - The fiberglass end caps (both front and rear) have a trim strip over that mating point and If I understand it correctly, the outer part of this strip snaps over a metal flat part which is screwed into the cap with screws about every 8-10 inches. Those screws appear to be #6 sheet metal bevel headed screws. The problem as I see it is road stress, flexes the coach and eventually because of age, size and even material choice (screws) they either pull out or break off and the trim strip starts to separate from the coach. I think I have read other posts of this happening, but don't remember what folks did to remedy the issue.

I also think the outer part of the trim strip just pulls away from a more flat piece of metal which is the part that is actually screwed into the coach. So I have to fix that flat part first then snap the outer trim back over the metal piece.

I have several repair choices available to me, and they are:
1) I can go to a larger sized screw and just fix the holes affected, or
2) I can be a bit more pro-active, and use something like a wall hanger with a machine screw to hold the thing in place for a more permanent fix. Although, I think a wall hanger type of fix, would entail drilling a huge hole so it goes into the fiberglass endcap/wall so this might not be a better way.

I am asking what other folks have done to fix this issue. I am attaching a link to a fastener company which can sell me types of the more permanent things to fix this once and for all. However, the only one which is small enough I think is the below. Otherwise I am back to #6-#8-#10 sheet metal screws because the holes have rounded out.

This one is a machine screw with a outer rubber piece which collapses: http://www.tacomascrew.com/products/sections/1-fasteners/categories/6-anchors/groups/12532-machine-screw-anchors-neoprene = If I use this product, I will use the 6-32X1”, since I think anything larger than ¼” drill size makes the hole too large and might damage something underneath.

Your ideas and fixes in the past would be appreciated.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, 87 people have read this with no comments. I am going to assume I understand my issues and will proceed with the parts to order and fix this so it does not reoccur.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #3

Monty,

This is one issue I've never had. Perhaps few others have not as well. Maybe you're unique with the problem. But your anchor system from Tacoma Screw looks like a good idea. When the techs reattached my rear spoiler they used a moly-type rivet from Tacoma Screw that they said would never come off, without taking a lot of fiberglass with it. That might be another option if you don't want to have the look of a screw. I posted pictures of that rivet on the rear spoiler thread.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
OF - Thank you, I will look up that thread. I have not had the spoiler get lose, and hope it does not. I check it about twice a year. Before we take off and usually once while we are on the road. I also check the rear camera a lot (toad you know) and it always a good firm picture. My hope is that if it's lose, it would jiggle before it actually flies off. Don't know if this is what happens or nor. I ordered the anchors and screws (don't come with the anchor) today so I will let all know how it works.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
All - Using those anchors I described above, I fixed the trim coming off the coach. I ordered the 6X32-1" size and should have order the 1/2" size, a little triming of the screw and anchor was necessary to make this work. I am completely please how this went back together. I highly recommend Tacoma Screw and those particular anchors I used for this application. It took about 90 minutes start to finish. One project down and 5 to go, well maybe more, but whose counting.