Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Thumbs down Rear slide cylinder

I'm in Quartzite Az, went to setup and one side of the rear slide won't move. I went to the only service facility in Quartzite and mad an appointment for 10 day away and when the day came to get a diagnosis I left my coach for 9 hrs for a diagnosis. Was told they were waiting for a call from HWH. When I called HWH no-one had called from the facility. I asked what the synchronize cylinder looked like and where it might be located. No-one had any idea! I called a friend in my home town and he told me right where it was.After I did my own diagnostics I figured it was the cylinder in the closet. Now,looking at the cylinder I see it's a rebuildable cylinder. So I call HWH wanting to order a rebuild kit. NO SUCH THING,but they can rebuild it for $120 or I can buy a new one for $185. I chose to order a new one, now they have to build it and that's 2 weeks out.(I want to keep the cylinder so I can rebuild it). Here is my point, has anyone used the only repair facility in Quartzite? And how about HWH and 2weeks to build a cylinder? This whole deal makes my blood boil.

Davenlsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Welcome to the world of RV Repairs...........

Shops don't know how, can't do the repair, mfg. has long lead time only to find out they sent the wrong part.

Might be worth trip to Yuma........
Independent Hydraulic & Mach Yuma, AZ, 85365 - YP.com

Old 01-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I can vouch for HWH taking 2 - weeks to build a new one. My equalizing cylinder for the front slide started leaking a few years ago while in Florida. HWH had to build a new cylinder which took 2 - weeks; 3 - weeks counting the shipping time. The leak was manageable so not much disruption in my travels that year.

Your situation can be frustrating but not as bad as having a pump motor fail while traveling and no one in town carries a replacement. We traveled from Houston to Phoenix without jacks or slides. It's like living in a cigar box. Now THAT is frustrating!!!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #4

OUR 2004 34' did the same thing a few months ago it was the one towards the rear of the MH,I lubed all of the moving parts that the cylinder would move and it works fine now.At first it apeared that it was the cylinder was not working but it was just bound-up against the froze up mechanism.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I just helped a guy in the same park as US, I figure out he needed a pump motor. I am so surprised at the lack of technitions these days. Most seem to be remove and replace people.
On a side note, I was quoted $120 to rebuild my cylinder. Once I removed it I unscrewed the top pulled the shaft out, replaced the "oring", (25cents) rebuild complete.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

See if you can find a local hydraulic repair shop, or farm equipment supply. Most have repair capability and its probably only the seals that need replacing. Did you check the control solenoids? if the ram will not move it may be the oil pressure is not getting to it.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davenlsn View Post
I just helped a guy in the same park as US, I figure out he needed a pump motor. I am so surprised at the lack of technitions these days. Most seem to be remove and replace people.
On a side note, I was quoted $120 to rebuild my cylinder. Once I removed it I unscrewed the top pulled the shaft out, replaced the "oring", (25cents) rebuild complete.
Sweet. Good job Dave.It's folks like you that I'd like parking next to.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

Dave,

I don't need the info right now (not having a problem), but for the future reference would appreciate exactly how to access the rear slide hydraulics-- do you raise the floor front/back, etc.

Thanks.

Brett

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Talking

Brett:
It was way easier than I thought. Take off the side trim, there are screws on the back side, each cylinder is located inside a aluminum channel. Unlike the hoses from the synronizer cylinder,located on the passenger side in the battery compartment on the front wall. Then you can push or pull the slide in or out. Push it all the way out which will collapse the cylinder. Next is take the jam nut from the bottom of the cylinder and pull it from the hole in the bracket. Swing the bottom out from the channel. Now push in or pull out to access the bolt and nut holding the shaft to the scissor arms. Pull it off and your done. It comes apart and for about 25 cents you can replace the oring and you just fixed it. Dave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Dave,

I don't need the info right now (not having a problem), but for the future reference would appreciate exactly how to access the rear slide hydraulics-- do you raise the floor front/back, etc.

Thanks.

Brett

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #10

Thanks, Dave-- filed away.

Brett
Old 01-24-2016, 12:15 PM   #11

Last year I pulled into a park, and while trying to set up we smelled someone burning up Popcorn. It wasn't that easy, it was our Hyd. Pump burning up. No Jacks, no Slides, no access to the Alcohol cabinet, that was not going to work. This was a Friday of a 3 day weekend in the High Sierras and no one was going to have a Pump. Turn the thing south and head for home. The pumps are hard to find, but I found mine at Acacia Rv. in Colton----Thank You Acacia. I have had to replace a lot of leaking hyd. cables, but my Cylinders have all been fine. Just thought I would share this. Ken PS. Good work Dave.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Well after replacing the cylinder it still didn't work. I called a friend over to watch the outside as i tried to move the slid. within 30 seconds he stopped me and said "we have a leak" I went outside to take a look, fluid running down the Radiator. WTH???? opened the compartment and up above the top rail is a bundle of wrapped hoses. We unwrapped the hoses and looked at a hose end blown completely off the hose, not a leaky hose, a BLOWN OFF FITTING. We tied a piece of string to it and pulled it out from the wheel-well on the passenger side at the Synchronize cylinder. NAPA and $56.00 later we were done. My friend and I took 5 minutes and found the problem that Lifestyles RV couldn't find in 9 hrs. Thanks To my friend in Brenda AZ for helping find this problem.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #13

Dave I was told that HWH had a hose problem in those years around 2003, and they even had some kind of recall on hoses? I do not know that for sure, but I had several hose ends that have leaked. No one seems to want to put a new end on an old hose, so replacement of the hose is the only way to go. I now have a "bone yard" of old hoses riding around in my Coach. Removing them just seems too difficult and might damage something that at this point is not broken. I LIKE your style. Later, Ken
Old 03-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #14

Yes--HWH had issues with hoses in 2003--weeping or leaks at the end connections. No recall was ever initiated to my knowledge--labor being the most expensive part of a hose replacement. Research of this forum will reveal that the area over the radiator stack on Alpines seems to be especially prone to hose failure. Could be the heat, or the design of that slide mechanism, or a combination of both....probably not a trend but have read on this forum about replacement hoses failing almost immediately after install.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide