Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Angry Rear slide problem

I have a Model AC36201 Year 2001 Alpine, with two slides. The rear slide (which contains the closet) has always been sluggish. It is now VERY sluggish. To open it I have to push hard, move with switch, push hard again and so on about 3-4 times to get it to open. Closing is a bit better, but also starting to need some muscle power help. I believe this slide is moved by an electric motor, not the HWH hydraulic system (but not sure).
Can anything be done to improve it? I have sprayed lubricant on the tracks. If electric, can the motor be exchanged for a more powerful one?
THANKS!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Bill, Try putting a spray lube or baby powder on all seals inside and out. Be sure to use lube thats ok for rubber.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #3

Angry

Hi Jim
I had not heard of the use of talcum powder - will try that soon. Special spray lube for slides has not helped much.
Thanks!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I had the same problem with my closet slide on my 2002. The bottom would start out and the top would not follow without a push then it would go the rest of the way fine. I would lube it than it would be fine for awhile. It seemed to hang up more often as time went on. I looked for a way to adjust it thinking that it was rubbing to much on one side or the other. It could be done but would require supporting the slide.(not so easy) I decided that the slide was centered ok and that the seals were getting stiffer with age. So more lube. Could be that the motor is getting weak. Don't know where to get a replacement. Maybe others have ideas.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

I also have a 2001 with the same problem. At the Quartzite ACA rally in January I was told to try baby powder as a lubricant. It helped greatly and almost worked without me applying some manual arm power form inside.

It is an electric motor - but I'm not sure a bigger motor, if it would fit, would help. If your's is like mine, when the slide goes out, the top somehow binds and doesn't go out the same as the bottom - probably because the force to extend the slide is all on the bottom of the slide.

The problem, as best I can tell, is when the top seal reverses. Hope you follow that - the top seal points inside when the slide is in, and outside when it's out. You have to push till the seal reverses.

I tried an alignment procedure that I got from WRV before they went out of business - didn't fix anything.

I sure would be interested in a permanent fix.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #6

Thanks guys - looks like the baby powder is the next step.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone checked the voltage at the motor while the slide is being operated? I am having a problem with my entry step cover and have found a voltage drop at the switch on the ground side. I plan to, just add a better ground, it can be very hard to trace where the one being used now is coming from.

WRV told me about the powder on the slide seals and I have found it to work very well. I always had to help the top of the closet slide on our 2002, I did not lube the slide seals on it with powder.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I am not sure in the alpines, but WRV used Power Gear units in the 5th wheels. Since WRV moved a lot of systems in the early models from the fivers to the MH's, I would assume that you might have a power gear slide unit and if you could get numbers off the motor (compartment somewhere near the slide) their should be a motor in there. Once you have the model and serial numbers you can search the net and find what you have. But I would give power gear a try.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #9

bedroom slide

Might search Bedroom slide old posts