Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
has anyone from the "Lost Spoiler Club" reattached theirs? Now that I am a member I plan to jury rig some new brackets (and am open to ideas on how to do that) but my real problem is I need a good way to attach the brackets to the apx 1/4 inch holes the rivets left on the end cap. Wish me luck. see some of you in Hinckely if nothing else major falls off.

zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:32 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
has anyone from the "Lost Spoiler Club" reattached theirs? Now that I am a member I plan to jury rig some new brackets (and am open to ideas on how to do that) but my real problem is I need a good way to attach the brackets to the apx 1/4 inch holes the rivets left on the end cap. Wish me luck. see some of you in Hinckely if nothing else major falls off.

zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #3

I am a member of the club, and reattached mine myself. So far it has stayed firmly in place. In my case the brackets all broke off where it bent at a 90 degree angle to attach to the spoiler. The brackets where they attach to the end cap were still firmly mounted, so my failure mode, and repair, appears to be different from yours.

I bought steel corner framing brackets at the hardware store, and painted them. I used the predrilled holes in the framing bracket and drilled holes in the remaining WRV aluminum bracket and bolted them on using stainless steel machine screws and nuts, using Loctite. Then I drilled holes in the new brackets to match the mounting holes in the spoiler (actually I marked and drilled the holes before I mounted them) and pop riveted the spoiler back on.

I check the spoiler every so often to see if it is loose. So far it is rigid. I have been considering mounting some sort of bracket to the end cap and attach a lanyard to the spoiler so that if it ever breaks again, I will still have it to mount again.

If anybody cares, I found red LED clearance lights that are a perfect replacement for the original lights. Exact same size and shape, and mounting holes.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #4

Hi Jim,
I'd love to know where you got the LED light replacements!
jt

2005 Honda Pilot Toad
cajunjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #5

The LED light is from Optronics.

http://www.optronicsinc.com/oempages/mcl71.htm

I special ordered them from Lucky B Trailer Parts. They are not on the webpage, so I had to call them. "Don" gave me their part number as 11-970-OP. About $6 a piece or so IIRC.

I previously sent this item to EngineerMike for his database project.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #6

Zinom,
I became a member of the "lost spoiler club" about the same time Jim did. Jim was luckier in that he saw his spoiler flapping around in the camera before it came off. I was not so lucky. WRV sent me a new spoiler (minus lights, I guess they figured I didnt lose them at the same time) and new L brackets that added an L bracket to each end. Otherwise no improvement in the old design, so I keep an eye on mine too
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #7

How do you check the spoiler to determine if it is close to breaking loose? Is there a way to reinforce it to prevent it from breaking loose?
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #8

All I do it use the step ladder to go up and shake the ends of the spoiler to see if there is any play in the spoiler. I need to buy a mirror to use to check behind the spoiler. You need to check the bend radius for cracks, which is not easy to see. My steel brackets have a larger radius, so that is not a concern for me anymore.

I am not sure there is a way to reinforce it. I think the only way is to have somebody fabricate heavier brackets with a larger radius bend than mine had. And I am not sure it is worth the cost.

I would suggest instead finding a way to secure a lanyard to the roof and the spoiler to keep it from flying off if it does break. As Hugh said, I was lucky in that I did not lose mine. With the demise of WRV, finding a replacement will not be easy now.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #9

I recently discovered that the end brackets on our spoiler have both broken at the bend where they attach (using pop rivets) to the fiberglass spoiler. I just came from the hardware store, where I too got some steel corner braces, and am about to climb up there and install them. What's fascinating is that I had to remove the spoiler in January 2006, when I needed to reinstall the rear view camera....so I've already drilled out the rivets and replaced them...so I was surprised when both brackets broke. Thanks Jim, for confirming my plan for solving the problem.
Mike Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #10

Hmmmmmm... WRV sent me replacement brackets... but since they were the same as the originals, just more of them... maybe I should do like Jim did and get some steel ones
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #11

Hugh,

I think Burk told me that the brackets are likely fabricated by some local shop. If they bend them correctly with a nice radius they should work fine. One vendor might make them differently than another. Get a mirror and take a look at your new brackets. Is there a radius where they bend to attach to the spoiler? I feel much more confident with the steel brackets which have an 1/8" or so radius. If you have the time and tools, you might want to consider it.

As I said, I reused the existing brackets coming up off the rear cap, simply bolting the new corner brackets to them. They looked in good shape to me. I am not as concerned with that bend since it has much more area. But IIRC that might have been where your original one broke, unlike mine. That might be the weak link in my repair, which is why I am considering attaching a lanyard of some sort, just in case.

I know one guy who has had two spoilers fail. He caught the second one before it flew off.