Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

Rear View Camera Dead

Hello

I have a Rear View Vision Camera that was installed I believe at the factory. It did work just fine and now it is not. It may be the 1 amp inline fuse. The problem is I can't find the System Adapter Box that the power line goes to. I think it is hard wired to the 12v system but I don't know where it is connected. Does anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks

Geoff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #2

If you still have the original TV the modulator and switching unit are behind the TV. You will have to pull it out to check.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

box

Geoff

Our original camera system had a box under the dash on the passenger side.

Still at the Paradise? How is the water tank holding up?

Gary
Old 02-21-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

The connector at the rear of my screen came a little loose the other day. I pushed it in and it now works. Maybe you will be that lucky.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #5

I'm not at my coach, but I think I remember a switch on the front of the monitor that is like a A and B input. The switch could have been under the bottom side of the monitor? Any way if that gets moved you loose your picture.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:04 PM   #6

Hi Everyone.
I've been in the boonies and haven't had internet for a while so I haven't answered! I'll try and look for the box and try pushing connectors. John ...my System didn't go thru the TV but has it's own little screen but I will look in behind the TV for a box anyway. Thanks

Gary...hi .no we are south of Tucson in the boonies for a few ore days and the tank is still holding up which is amazing as I was the one who did it!!

Geoff
Old 02-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #7

Geoff- the BUCam has to get power thru a relay taking signal off the trans Reverse indicator, which on your rig will be either at the shift pad or the trans VIM; this auto-switches the monitor ON when you put the rig into reverse.

I can also switch mine on manually, so there has to be a constant 12v feed and a trigger signal off the R-indicator.

On the earlier rigs that came w/glass TV's (maybe later too, I haven't taken my TV area apart yet), TV is powered thru a 12V-signaled 120V outlet that gets 12V when the key is Off or in Acc & allows 120V thru, then 12V is denied (via a standard Bosch relay) when Ign is turned on so the TV can't run while you are driving. These assemblies were located behind the TV. Perhaps the other tie-ins for monitor are near.
Hope this to zero in.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #8

Hi again.

Well I had a "ahaaa" eureka moment last night. I traced the wire coming from the back of the monitor and with much pulling and pushing of the wire and a little "verbal" encouragment! I found where the BU cam gets it's power. It is on the Power terminal strip "switched" located on the right side of the fuse panel in front of the passenger seat. The adapter box I was looking for was actually more like a small "gizmo" (in the manual it looked like it should be about 3x4). The 1 amp fuse was inline coming from the strip to the "gizmo" The fuse was broken and so I replaced and now I can see what I am about to hit behind me!!

Thanks for all the help

Geoff
Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #9

Hi Mike

I found the wiring diagram for my BU Cam (I should have looked for it before I started tracing!!) and it doesn't show any type of connection through the transmission just straight to the power strip and thereby switched with the ignition. I am boondocking right now and will be moving next Monday. I'll check to see if there is an interface with the transmission and get back.

Geoff
Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #10

I'm assuming the earlier versions of BU cam had the same instant-on feature when putting rig in reverse.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
I'm assuming the earlier versions of BU cam had the same instant-on feature when putting rig in reverse.
Yes. Except you had to remember to turn on the inverter and the TV.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #12

So there has to be a way for the Reverse signal to trigger camera & monitor some place in the mix.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #13

I looked again at the wiring diagram that WRV has in the paperwork I have and I see no reverse interface but when I go on Monday I will check it out and report back. I'll also look again at the manual that came with the camera and see if it mentions a reverse connect!

Geoff
Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #14

The reverse connection could come from the rear "backup" lights to the camera. Would have made sense to simplify wiring, assuming the camera was made the master & the monitor the slave. That would have been a little trickier with the original glass TV setup; iirc our Safari Trek used the glass TV for rear monitor so it must have had some adaptation for activating it.

Tags
camera