Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #1

My 1999 36SDS Alpine has the rear vision camera set up to display on the large TV located at the right-front overhead. This operates quite well but requires leaving the inverter on all the time. It is also difficult to view when driving.

I'm looking for a 12 VDC monitor having a display size of between 5 and 7 inches that I can install on the dashboard and leave on when driving. Color would be nice but I believe the camera is B/W only.

Any suggestions?

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #2

My 1999 36SDS Alpine has the rear vision camera set up to display on the large TV located at the right-front overhead. This operates quite well but requires leaving the inverter on all the time. It is also difficult to view when driving.

I'm looking for a 12 VDC monitor having a display size of between 5 and 7 inches that I can install on the dashboard and leave on when driving. Color would be nice but I believe the camera is B/W only.

Any suggestions?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Bob & Peg Mahon:

Welcome to the form, Just to let you know that the company that made the back up camera and monitor are no longer in business. I just help another Alpine owner install a new color camera and monitor and pull the new wires for the system. He installed a three camera system he purchased from RearView Systems. He found out that the system installed by Alpine will not mate to another system so he had to purchase a complete system to replace the old one. Good luck on finding a monitor that will work with your system. Sorry I did not have better information.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:49 AM   #4

Actually, the current system connects to the TV using a standard CATV connector. Because of this and the comments about the OEM system, I'd suspect the system has already been changed.

I guess I'll have to try something before I make a drastic change.

Thanks for the Heads-up.

Stay tuned, Mouseketeers.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 AM   #5

Hi Dave,

What route did you take to get the new rear camera cable up to the dash?

I ran some wires to the rear of the coach a while ago and wonder if there is a better route. The path I took was next to the engine, over the holding tanks, through the basement, into the HWH pump compartment, down to the frame rail, next to the generator and up through the floor by the brake pedal.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:00 AM   #6

I know the question was for Dave but thought it worth mentioning.

I bought a weatherproof, remote controlled, full-time CCD day/night Camera, 3-input 7" Color monitor system and 65' of cable for $250.00 from a security company. It's worked very well since I installed it last July.

As I could not snake the cable up the back of the Alpine to where I wanted to install the camera (just under the OEM camera/clearance light unit), I chose an easier, more accessible route.

I bought 9, 4-foot sections of plastic cable race at Lowes and permanent 3M adhesive tape. After I secured the race just over the side/roofline seam, leaving enough space to snap the covers on, I ran the cable in it from the rear to the front, snapping the covers on as I went. Once at the front, I drilled a 5/8" hole through the side of the roof so the cable end would enter in a place I could grab it and pull it to the very rear of the upper left cabinet over the Driver's side (the backs of the cabinets were removed for this so I could use the standard cabinet backing to hide the cable). IMPORTANT: I made certain the hole was sealed by using Marine Grade Silicone Sealant.

The cable end was run through the bottom of the center cabinet to the monitor, which is placed in a custom enclosure I made of Canary wood and is mounted in a position similar to where a rear-view mirror would be in a car (I can e-mail you a photo if you wish).

Keep in mind I have a side-door Alpine. If it were a model with a center-mounted TV, I would have mounted the monitor just to the left of it. If a left-hand TV, the monitor would have been mounted at center. Of course you could choose to mount the monitor anywhere you prefer because it comes with mounting hardware.

Another reason I did it this way was to easily run another cable from a 2nd, narrower perspective, camera to the front.

It might sound like a "Rube Goldberg" but, unless you really look for it, you cannot tell the race is there.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:08 AM   #7

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Rmmpe
Old 03-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #8

Thanks George.
It works out quite well.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 PM   #9

Bob
Would you post photos of that neat installation??
Thanks
Dave
Old 03-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Tom:

The route we used for wiring the Rear view Camera was by installing the new camera and than ran the cabling inside and down the rear cap to the frame. We than ran the cabling along the frame into the bays to the front of the coach. To enter and exit the bay area we used existing holes and resealed them after the cabling was run. We drilled a hole through the front bulkhead into the cabin area to the monitor. The older Alpines used wooden bulkheads in the front the newer models us steal bulkheads. I hope this information helps.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:50 AM   #11

Dave/Coleen,
I'll be happy do that if I you'll tell me how.

Dave F.,
I would have chosen that way as well but could not get my "Fish-tape" to get anywhere near where the camera was. So I cheated.

Considering I was mounting the monitor high, in the 'long run' it was easier.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:06 AM   #12

Dave/Coleen,
I just checked and find I do not have permission to post photos, etc.

I'll be happy to send them to you if you give me your personal e-mail.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #13

Bob
Thanks We also have a 1999 which to us is like a 2010. My email: DavVe@aol.com (note the 2 V's)
Thanks
Dave
Old 03-24-2008, 03:05 AM   #14

Good morning Dave.

It's in the mail.

Questions to me, please.