Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Tommy, i had the same measurement and i went with the 6 and worked perfectly
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post

Dennis, thanks for the response and vote of confidence!
Old 08-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Alright everyone, need some advice. It’s 23” to center of receiver and 18” to baseplate mounts on the Jeep. My calculations are a 5” drop needed. No one makes a 5”, it’s either 4” or 6”...

Which would be better? The 4” or the 6”?
Here's a sketch of what you've described. Most of my hitch balls are about 2" from base to ball center, or a little less. Ball mount rise and drop is measured from the top of the 2" square tube, by the way, regardless of which side you mount the ball on.

A 6" drop ball mount would put the center of the ball at 20" off the ground. Whether that's good for your application or not is up to you, of course. Center of the ball level with the center of the tow bar hinge pins would be neutral, at least from a linkage point of view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 in drop ball mount.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	257573  
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Here's a sketch of what you've described. Most of my hitch balls are about 2" from base to ball center, or a little less. Ball mount rise and drop is measured from the top of the 2" square tube, by the way, regardless of which side you mount the ball on.

A 6" drop ball mount would put the center of the ball at 20" off the ground. Whether that's good for your application or not is up to you, of course. Center of the ball level with the center of the tow bar hinge pins would be neutral, at least from a linkage point of view.
Not sure that a ball will be in play in this situation.

Either option, 4” or 6” will get you within 1” of perfection. Blue Ox, for instance, advises to not exceed 3” above or below from receiver to tow tabs. Personally, I’d opt for the 4” drop. It’s a shorter lever, less chance of dragging and for reasons I can’t even explain to myself, it seems to make more sense.

We used an 8” drop for awhile on a 3,000 lb toad. It was solid steel, rated at 10K and we used anti-rattle devices.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Not sure that a ball will be in play in this situation.

Either option, 4” or 6” will get you within 1” of perfection. Blue Ox, for instance, advises to not exceed 3” above or below from receiver to tow tabs. Personally, I’d opt for the 4” drop. It’s a shorter lever, less chance of dragging and for reasons I can’t even explain to myself, it seems to make more sense.

We used an 8” drop for awhile on a 3,000 lb toad. It was solid steel, rated at 10K and we used anti-rattle devices.

Bob,

You are correct, I’m not using a ball.

Interesting perspective. What I’m wondering is what angle is better for stability of the tow bar? An up angle or down angle from the hitch to the front bumper; does it really matter which?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #20

Quote:

Dennis, do you have any angle present, or did it work out to be about perfectly level?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Tommy, this is the drop hitch i got for reciever. Roadmaster (048-6) Hi-Low Hitch i also pull a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. I measured with the coach aired up and it match perfectly. Its a 6in drop
I missed this. I read 'ball mount' when you said 'drop hitch'. My bad.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Tommy, 1inch difference
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Tommy, 1inch difference

Thanks Dennis!
Old 08-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Bob,

You are correct, I’m not using a ball.

Interesting perspective. What I’m wondering is what angle is better for stability of the tow bar? An up angle or down angle from the hitch to the front bumper; does it really matter which?
At 1” either way, you’re well within the range specified by Blue Ox and probably other tow bar manufacturers. Dealers choice.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post

We have an 8" drop for our Flex. It will drag in some instances. We also use the Roadmaster anti rattle ( you could make them) and they sure take out the play and noise. I would recommend them too.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:14 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
With 1” either way, I agree, I would use the 4” drop (less chance of dragging) with the anti rattle brackets (I have used them for years).
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
With 1” either way, I agree, I would use the 4” drop (less chance of dragging) with the anti rattle brackets (I have used them for years).

So I’m seeing different styles of things pop up when I google this. Would you mind sending a link for what brand/type you use?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:35 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
So I’m seeing different styles of things pop up when I google this. Would you mind sending a link for what brand/type you use?

Thanks in advance.

Tommy, this is what we use. Bought from eTrailer IIRC. Makes a HUGE difference, but also takes more time to remove the hitch. 9/16 nuts.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...itch/quiet.php