Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:01 AM   #1

Recent Repair at HWH Factory

Just some feedback about my recent repair at the HWH factory in Moscow, IA. I had two leaking hose connectors, that had been leaking since the rig was new. One had been replaced twice, by an HWH "master service center", and still leaked.

1) Easy access to the factory as it is right off I-80.

2) If your rig was clean when you got there, it won't be when you leave. The entire factory grounds are dirt, no pavement anywhere. Lots of dust from vehicles coming and going. There are about 8 places to park, with electric hookups.

3) Very prompt. My appointment was for 8:30 and they came to get me at 8:34.

4) While replacing both connectors, the tech broke a solenoid valve, at the pump, which dumped hydraulic fluid all over the pump area. The valve was replaced, but the mess was not cleaned up.

5) As I was leaving, a load of fluid poured out of the pump area. Looked like a new leak, but none could be found. Probably left over fluid from the previous spill.

6) I ended up with black footprints all over the front area of the rig, from the tech getting in and out and driving the rig. Took me 1/2 hour to clean up.

7) As always, the HWH people were very friendly.

I drove a long way to get to the factory. If the repairs don't leak, I will say it was worth it. It could have been a great visit if the tech didn't walk all over the front of the rig with greasy boots and if they had cleaned up the spill in the pump bay.

There were lots of rigs coming and going, so I suggest you make an appointment, if you go there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2009, 09:09 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Ken & Nancy -

If you were at Moscow, IA, you should have put Monroe, MI & Bowling Green FMCA on your itenerary!

We also went to HWH on our way to the Pre-rally, we were in and out within 2 hours for them to tighten up a leak behind the pump.

They do not put down paper to protect the carpet - and they do not clean up the mess they make in the HWH compartment. Last summer at St Paul FMCA they worked on it and left a terrible mess and it cost us $120 to have it cleaned up. We cleaned it up this time ourselves but if we were at home we would use a hot power washer to clean it out!

Put FMCA on your agenda and come enjoy a good time!

#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We had the bedroom slide go out on us where only the most rear part of the slide came out, but the front part - the left part as you look at it from the outside - didn't come out. We did what Randy, the phone tech, told us to do to manually get the slide flush again, and made an appointment to bring the coach to HWH. This was on June 30th. They said, "how about July 2nd? Wow, just two days. So we made the 300 mile trip from St. Louis.

Our appointment was at 9 o'clock, but the repair tech knocked on our door at 7:30 saying they were ready for us. It seems that several of the other coaches that had 7 o'clock appointments must only have had simple adjustments to make.

The tech was inside several times as needed to replace and reroute the leaky hoses that were causing the problem, but fortunately left no trace of ever being there. We were out by noon. The best part is that there was no charge for the service even though the warranty had expired on our two-year old coach - worth the dusty conditions at HWH. I was expecting to pay for their $75/hour labor charge plus parts.

2007 Limited SE 36FDTS
Cardsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
WOW things have really changed since we were there on 2004 -5. When we were there the techs were super clean. Took off their shoes at the door and put booties on every tine they came in the coach. I asked one guy about it and he said it was company policy and that failure to follow meant termination.

We found the people, service and free lunch (with pie) were great. They got us in when they said and got right on the job. While they were replacing the hydraulics control board and computer a friend spotted oil dripping from the closet slide / radiator area and HWH replaced the closet slide hoses as well so we left Moscow very happy.

Harold
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Harold - You are right - In 2004 things were different. We had the same kind of service then also.

But this is 2009 and things are different. No free lunches ( place went out of business) and they don't take the time to put paper down or booties on their feet.

The service is great but just take precautions to not get your interior messed up with grease and oil. (We were just there this morning on our way home to pick up spare solenoids to carry with us!)
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #6

What i'll never understand is why these folks just don't get it. How would they react if I went walking through their house with black, greasy, oil laden boots?
Old 07-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #7

I'm guessing HWH is under some pretty heavy financial stress and tech's are under orders to hurry the heck up however is needed. It'll be nice if they don't go under like many others.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Well cannot comment on HWH, except the PS Rear Smartbed has a little hyd oil dripping out of the bottom. I suspect I have lose hose connection on the front of the ram. I am going to try to fix this one myself. Now If the Front bags would just dump air, I would be happy, don't feel safe working on it and not knowing what I really should be doing.