Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #1

Red Carpet in Alaska - NOT

Sadly the Anchorage area retailers have taken an unwelcome turn regarding overnight RV parking. Four Wal-Marts, two Costcos, (Sam's Club is closed) and now Cabella's are turning away RV's. At this point Fred Meyers stores are unknown. Ship Creek close to Alaska Railroad has overnight parking available for a $10.00 fee. This summer do not expect Anchorage retailers to be rolling out the Red Carpet for RVs.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 AM   #2

From what I've read on other forums, etc., this is due to abuse of the privilege by the very few "freeloaders" and other local businesses and CG's in AK complaining. We were in PCB a few weekends ago and the local Walmart, who allows the respecting RV's to temp park in their huge lot, had some goobers set up full spread with awnings and grill in the lot, out by the retention pond. They were not resting, shopping or waiting for their CG site to open up...they were 'freeloading". Walmart in PCB has been great in the past allowing temp parking, etc., but these very few of this type will eventually ruin it for everyone there also.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

Too bad.

I have been in Whitehorse a few times and the Wal-Mart there looks pretty shabby at times. Obviously some of the folk there stay a long time. But, it their property and they can run as they wish.

I do appreciate that Wal-Mart, as a corporation, has a policy of allowing folk to overnight, except in municipalities that have laws against that.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:59 PM   #4

Since last year the Municipality of Anchorage has steered clear of any ordinance banning overnight parking in retail lots. Often the case, it is the few that make the rest pay for their abuse. However, it does seem that if you are going to allow overnight parking, that some policing would be necessary. If there is a posted 24 or 48 hour limit, I for one would appreciate the business enforcing it. Three days ago, we stopped at Cabbels's saw the new signage went and talked to the manager and was told in definite terms that there is no overnight parking. Maybe they will lose me as a customer, but they certainly lost my business that day. Instead of kicking every good customer to the curb, try kicking just the entitled brain dead to the curb who likely won't spend a dime.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It's such a shame. Many retailers open their arms and welcome RVs for temporary stay overs. Then a few people go and abuse that privilege and stay for days. They then ruin it for the rest of us. It's not just Alaska either.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:43 AM   #6

I wholeheartedly agree. The few destroying a good thing for the many. I think it is going to get worse. I see more and more RVs and trucks abusing Walmart's generosity by engaging in multi-night stays and by leaving garbage in the lot. Unfortunately, I don't believe we can generate enough sales to justify the cleanup, let alone any sort of policing. It was awful nice while it lasted.

With regard to the Walmart we visited in Anchorage, we didn't feel safe parking there during the day. No way we would have been there when the sun went down!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #7

It's a reflection of what we've become. If the businesses enforce the rules and run off the less fortunate they will be accused of discrimination and sued by some organization with a catchy acronym. They have probably received complaints from their non-camping customers who are displeased with what has become of the parking lot. Since they appear to be unwilling or unable to control the situation, the only equitable solution is to prohibit the practice altogether.

The next logical step is a city or state ordinance mandating that anyone shall be allowed to set up camp in one of these parking lots for whatever length of time they deem appropriate.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
It's a reflection of what we've become. If the businesses enforce the rules and run off the less fortunate they will be accused of discrimination and sued by some organization with a catchy acronym. They have probably received complaints from their non-camping customers who are displeased with what has become of the parking lot. Since they appear to be unwilling or unable to control the situation, the only equitable solution is to prohibit the practice altogether.

The next logical step is a city or state ordinance mandating that anyone shall be allowed to set up camp in one of these parking lots for whatever length of time they deem appropriate.
I know...I know...Let's demand a "SANCTUARY PARKING LOT FOR WAYWARD RV'ers"!!! After all, I deserve it and who are they...just because they own the lot doesn't give them the right to tell me if I can camp there on not!!! Also, they need to send someone around monthly to pick up all the unsightly pop and beer cans and those pesky potato chip and McDonalds bags!!! By the way, someone needs to come fix my flat tire in case I want to go somewhere else in a couple months.

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post

Personally, I think there is a lot of truth here.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
GBB

Seen it in Kenai's Walmart last year..some delapedated TT parked there for weeks..running their gray water out on parking lot. Another has been in Fred Meyers lot in Soldotna all winter. Cant blame the business for closing the parking.
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #11

We saw the same thing last year on our trip to Alaska. The Whitehorse Walmart parking lot looked like it was completely taken over by long-term campers of all types.

We live in the mountains in Arizona in a popular summer get-away town and see the same in our local walmart. Crappy RV’s there night after night with all their crap spread around. So a corporate policy to help overnighters turns into a nightmare for the stores and an eyesore for the communities. A shame to all of us responsible RV’ers.

Tags
carpet