Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:40 PM   #1

Ref Water Leak

Still getting my New Used MH ready to travel. I turned the water on to the Ref the other day. This is a 2005 40' Alpine w/a Home Type Ref. If I had to guess, I suspect the previous owner did not get the 1/4 line clear of water and it froze. It is leaking into the main storage bay below the Ref. I have removed the central vac. system and the cover which did not expose the water line. I have looked everywhere to find access to the water line to no avail. The Ref appears to be bolted in place so I can not move it out for access. There has to be someway to access the mounting for the Ref so it can be slid out of the opening. Looking for any suggestions. Alpine Coach Mdl 40FD with factory installed Home Type Ref.

thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #2

There are 4 Allen head bolts in the bays. 2 are in the 2nd bay back and 2 are in the next bay back that does not have a door latch. You can get that door open by removing 2 bolts from the bottom.

After you get the bolts remove take the toe plate off of the refer and run the wheels down, it will roll right out.

hope this helps

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne R View Post
There are 4 Allen head bolts in the bays. 2 are in the 2nd bay back and 2 are in the next bay back that does not have a door latch. You can get that door open by removing 2 bolts from the bottom.

After you get the bolts remove take the toe plate off of the refer and run the wheels down, it will roll right out.

hope this helps

The 4 bolts are T40's NOT Allen. There are 4 holes that the residential refer wheels drop into so there is a slight bump when you roll it out. When you go to reinstall the refer get it in place then before you tighten any of the bolts get all 4 started at least 3 or 4 turns, then tighten them, that way you get all of them aligned properly before you tighten them down.

Dave
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #4

Odd mine did not have holes the wheels dropped into.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #5

A lot of us have had the 1/4 inch plastic line fail. I don’t have the home fridge but do have an ice maker. You need to pull a new plastic hose.
I tryed cutting out the bad spot only to spring new leaks.
Not fun.
Mule Skinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:42 AM   #6

Thanks

I found the door yesterday with a little help from the previous owner. Nice to know I am looking for 4 bolts. I saw one in the bolt close bay and figured there was at least 1 more in the next bay forward. Because it was getting late I did not look yesterday. I plan on replacing the entire line at least into the bay area.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Ref Water Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrl5774 View Post
I found the door yesterday with a little help from the previous owner. Nice to know I am looking for 4 bolts. I saw one in the bolt close bay and figured there was at least 1 more in the next bay forward. Because it was getting late I did not look yesterday. I plan on replacing the entire line at least into the bay area.

In my 38' FDTS there are 2 bolts in the second bay behind the door. The one on the outside (about 8" inside the compartment) is hidden by the Dirt Devil, you will have to remove it to access that bolt. Your 40' might have a different configuration then I have, so don't be concerned. Look straight back from the first bolt about 2' and you will see the other one. The other 2 are in the grey/black tank compartment, the same placement, about 8" and 2 feet back. On my coach there are 3 bolts that hold that bay door closed. I suspect the other poster that stated he had 2, has had one fall out. I had that problem, I drilled and tapped the hole and installed the next larger bolt in stainless steel with flat and lock washers so they would not rust.

Once you get that door propped open (there are no gas shocks since the door is not intended to be opened on a regular basis) look up, you will find the other 2 bolts. With the drain pipes, these bolts are not impossible to reach, but they are not easy. It is best to have a T40 Torx bit for your socket set, I used an extension and a long reach between the pipes and the tank.

You may have a bad 1/4" hose, since it is a few years old and a pain to get too, I would replace the hose all the way to the refer. You could also have a problem with the valve on the back of the refer. If the PO did not properly winterize the lines and simply blew the lines out with air, it is very common to have some of the water from the water dispenser/ice maker run back down into the valve. Over the winter it will freeze and since the valve is plastic it will crack giving you a leak that drains down into the basement via the bolt holes. The refer valves are available from Amana, most appliance supply houses, Amazon or E-bay, since the refer is such a pain to get out I would have all the parts on hand or you will need to leave the refer sitting in the middle of the kitchen for a few days.

Good luck, it is not a complex task, just a little tough to get at the back bolt in the tank bay. Also as I said earlier, start all 4 bolts 3 or 4 turns, as well as checking the alignment of the refer (be sure the doors open easily before tightening any of them.

Are you going to attend the FMCA rally in Springfield, MA August 3-6? At this time 6 Alpines have indicated they plan to attend. Since the number is so small we are not planning on an ACA or ACE formal meeting, but we will do 1 or 2 informal get togethers. PM me if you want more info.

Dave

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak