Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Refill hydrolic fluid

A few weeks ago I had a problem with my slides not going out. I , with your help , came to know I was low on hydraulic fluid. Since then I have been trying to figure out how to fill the tank. It seems the tank is behind the distribution box located inside the small door beside the entrance door. It is so conveniently located LOL. I have a 2005 40' fd4s. My problem Now is that the cap to the reservoir does not seem to just screw off. Does someone know the trick to getting the cap off?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I can't speak to your problem with the plug on top of the reservoir/tank. Mine unscrews and comes right off without a problem. The plug also serves as a level indicator in case you're not aware of it.

FWIW - I purchased a small hand pump from NAPA that screws right into the HWH bottle of hydraulic oil and uses a flexible tube to temporarily insert into the plug hole. It makes the fill routine easy and without a mess other than when you remove the pump from the bottle. I use a Ziploc gallon size freezer baggie to store the pump and tube. The bag gets oily inside but you can always change bags as necessary.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to have a car where adding brake fluid was.. Well. Impossible without a pump device.

I found (At Meijer's here in Michigan) a thing that is designed to screw onto the top of a quart or gallon bottle, it has an ON-OFF valve and a short spout, a plastic hose slips snugly over the spout.

Then it lets me put brake fluid or (using a different one) Oil, or (Again a different one) other stuff wherever the hard to reach I need to put it.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Odchrist, I also have a 05, my reservoir/tank sounds like it is in the same location as yours. I just use a small funnel and about 18" of clear tubing I purchased at the hardware store, total cost about $3. My fill cap is easy to get off. It is about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2" in diameter, and is on the right side behind the electrical board. When you get it off just take it to your local hardware store and get a piece of tubing slightly smaller than the cap threads, and a small funnel to attach. I usually only add a few ounces at a time till it reaches the correct level on the "dip stick" part of the cap. Good luck, Mike.
Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Mike,What I am feeling behind the electrical part of the distribution box seems to be a large hex nut. Are you using a wrench on yours to remove it?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Mine is not hex, it is very easy to unscrew by hand, and it is easy to reach. Maybe a previous owner changed yours. You should be able to see it using a flashlight.
Mike and Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Odchrist:

Mine is a hex, and yes, I use a wrench. Just be careful, it's aluminum.