Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:19 AM   #15

Eng Mike:

In my last role with Weyerhaeuser before I retired a couple years ago I was responsible for our Structurwood OSB Business. Structurwood was our proprietary trade name. We made a special recipe for RV's that produce a panel with higher stiffness and ability to handle a higher concentrated static load (CSL) than the typical OSB you might buy at Home Depot or Lowes for residential applications.

We also made panels in RV's in 8'x12' and 8'x24' sizes, instead of 4'x8'. The combination of these "jumbo" panels, and higher stiffness and CSL, reduced flexing and twisting, and cracking in laminate or tile floors placed over top the OSB. The reduced number of joints in the subfloor also helped reduce the cracking in flooring above.

We provided these Structurwood panels to the RV industry since the early 80's, but I think Weyerhaeuser may have stopped supplying RVs recently, so I'm not sure it's in the 08's.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 PM   #16

I think I recall hearing the newer coaches, in order to control weight and improve cargo carrying capacity while saving money, were sporting panels made of proprietary, high tensile strength, pressed belly button lint.
Or maybe I need to have my hearing checked

Old 09-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #17

We can hope it is clean belly button lint and has some type of screw holding capability! The subfloor actually does provide racking strength as well as some other twisting/flexing strength.

Did you go to mid-door on your '08? I thought you had a 36FDTS before. We originally wanted the 36FDTS before but changed our mind at the last and went to 36MDDS, and are glad we did.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #18

We had a mid-door before which we loved for the mid-door advantages; the 06 was a 3-slide as you note.

This time around we bought a front door model again, tho I looked a long time at the mid-door. The immediate deal killer on the mid-door at the Newport Rally was its color- Black. Black coaches are pretty, perhaps even striking. But sitting in the desert they suck the very heat out of the sun and middle earth as well, and I like to run the AC on low so I can hear myself think. If they'd had a mid-door in the new color "Milano," we might have bought that one also.

As far as screw-holding capacity, I believe the depreciation rate remains sufficiently high across most brands of new coaches that the capacity is fully self-administered by the purchaser at the point of sale
Old 09-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #19

John of Audrey and John,

I apologize for calling you Audrey. I hurriedly read your post, and since Audrey is the one that usually writes, I answered, assuming it was her. (I did think--boy, Audrey really is good--she knows about moving sensors in refrig., etc).

We probably need to move the sensor. However, we really did need the cooling unit after having two bad amonia leaks. Did you have to have your cooling unit replaced, or did I just assume that?

Anyway, our freezer compartment is frozen to where the ice tray won't come out, yet the freezer shows not to be cold enough. The temp. on the door reads "hi" all the time.
Think we're going to have it looked at, but we will move the sensor, also.

Ours is the same model as yours. Our friend knows someone who has had one for about 5 years and had three cooling units put in. That certainly did not cheer me up.

"007", I bet the Dometics do need fans. I'm beginning to think Norcold's are better, but it may be the Ford-Chev. thing.

I've bought the Dometic extended service contract, which may be a mistake. I called a Dometic Authorized Repair, and the man would not do it--said Dometic wouldn't give him enough warranty hours. He said, "You need a new refrigerator and tell them so." I'm sure that will go over big! When we had the cooling unit replaced, the repair center got 4 hrs, but it took almost 12. They said they would not work on them again (I'm not sure whether they meant this model refrig. or an Alpine with one.) The one I recently called said to take to a Dometic Repair Center in Georgia or to Camping World. I shudder to think about having to use Camping World.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I have made a printout of all. Tomorrow, we'll get serious about doing something.

Beverly
Old 09-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #20

EngMike:

I understand not wanting the black color. I totally agree with you.

Is the Milano color the greyish-looking one with the blue and tan stripes on the side as shown in the thread on "New Coaches at the Rally" If it is, I assume that's your new coach.

Glad you also like the mid-door; we really like it as well, and I can understand why you might buy a front door in your situation.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #21

Beverly,

Audrey knows far more about sensors and electronics, however, if a screw driver is involved, then the task falls to me.

Our cooling unit was not replaced. The only refrigerator problems were the sensor short and ice build-up in the freezer.

This picture shows the new positions of the two sensors mentioned in my previous post.

John

Old 09-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #22

Nice job JOHN!!
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #23

John and Audrey,

Thanks ever so much for the pictures. We have a mobile tech (from the "Preferred List" of Dometic) coming to look at our coach on Thursday. The preferred people have taken seminars, etc. at Dometic. I was told the place in Atlanta was only a warehouse--no tech service. Will keep you posted.

E-Mike,

I'm with you--no black coaches for me.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 09-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #24

The tech came yesterday and says our control board tests to be out. A new one is being sent, so hopefully this will solve the problem and be fixed by next week.

I showed him the picture that Audrey and John posted, and the tech is going to change our sensors to match. Thanks, A and J.

Hope this takes care of the refrig. problem. He will look further about the dash AC, though the vacuum pump is working.

Now, we have another problem--the generator won't stay on.

Bev and Bud
06 36 FDDS
Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 AM   #25

Our refrig. is still messed up. After replacing the control board and moving the sensors, we still have the icing up problem on the ice making unit. Within one week, the icemaker was so coated with frost that I couldn't move the wire arm up and down. Before it gets SO coated, the temperatures are fine.

Audrey and John, you mentioned you had an automatic defrost problem? Is is really fixed, and what was the solution?

For the many others who have the same type refrig. (side by side Norcold with auto-defrost), have you had this problem?

Thanks.

Beverly
Old 10-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #26

Bev- I had same problem. Took 2 visits for the full fix. First the tech replaced the defrost heater. That changed the complexion of the icing radically- went from a frost overload to a frozen waterfall effect. Second time I suggested air leaks. They pulled the fridge forward for better access, then found & plugged some holes. Worked great after that. Never had the temp problems. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #27

The three fixes that helped reduce the frost/ice buildup were:
1. Replaced the broken defrost heater. This is a copper mesh in the bottom of the drain collector on the right side of the freezer section.
2. Sealed the drain hose that crosses the center wall from the freezer to the fresh food section. See picture below.
3. Turned off the water to the ice maker. We're using an old-fashioned ice tray now.

John
Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 AM   #28

Thanks E-Mike and Audrey and John. As always, I'm making a printout.

Dometic wants us to make pictures of the problem, so we'll be doing that today.

I do so hope we can get it fixed and still use the icemaker. I really do like that convenience.

Will keep you posted.

Beverly