Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #1

Now that we "seem" to have some of our more important "bugs" out on our 2006 36' FDDS, I wonder if some of you have resolved an issue with the Dometic self-defrosting refrig. that gets a large deposit of ice behind the ice tray. We got the problem of freezing the solid piece of ice solved. The ice maker makes nice cubes now. However, the ice buildup behind the tray is very bad. Have any of you attempted to get this problem, if you have it, corrected? If so, did it work?

Thanks,
Beverly

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2006, 11:19 AM   #2

Now that we "seem" to have some of our more important "bugs" out on our 2006 36' FDDS, I wonder if some of you have resolved an issue with the Dometic self-defrosting refrig. that gets a large deposit of ice behind the ice tray. We got the problem of freezing the solid piece of ice solved. The ice maker makes nice cubes now. However, the ice buildup behind the tray is very bad. Have any of you attempted to get this problem, if you have it, corrected? If so, did it work?

Thanks,
Beverly

Old 10-22-2006, 01:06 PM   #3

Yes we have the same problem. I talked to Dometic Customer Service and have a service appointment at Camping World this Friday. The service rep. said it could be many things from a seal to a faulty heater in the freezer. We'll see what happens and post
Old 10-22-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
RJF

We have the same refer on our coach. This was one of our fix-it items at the rally last March in Aguanga Outdoor Resorts. The techs identified a blocked drain hose due to a kink. They were unable to fix it there. The guys at Rick's trailer Supply replaced the hose in a jiffy a few weeks later and the refer has worked like it should with no more icebergs. Try this simple fix before replacing seals , etc.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:27 PM   #5

Thanks Daley and RJF. It looks like this is a problem that can be fixed (sometimes I wonder if things are worth a trip to a dealer and that I should just "live" with small problems). I made an appointment for Nov. 8 with Holiday Kampers in Spartanburg, SC. I'll show them these comments. I believe it helps when someone has already had similar problems.

Daley, I will be interested in hearing what you find out on Friday.

Thanks,
Beverly
Old 10-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #6

I, too, have frost buildup and ice forming a block over time. When you go to Camping World, is the charge covered by warranty? This week, we spent 3 days with friends at there home in an area not allowing M.H. I parked in a storage area and left the refer on gas. When I came back, there was some sort of default code (can't remember, darn)and not working. It must have not have been off long because the freezer was 24 degrees (usually 0 to 2 degrees). My propane tank is 3/4. Any ideas of what could have happened?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:19 AM   #7

Lundy,

When we have gone to Camping World, we had to pay the bill, and WRV reimbursed us. We, of course, had prior aproval from WRV for Camping World to look at the problems. When we go to Holiday Kamper, the sales adjoinging Camping World, we don't have to pay for warranty items. We, however, are finding that even Alpine Dealers (see my post under the TV problems) are refusing to do Alpine Warranty work! I don't know what is going on. Do any of you?

Beverly
Old 10-25-2006, 04:43 AM   #8

lundy,
Were you plugged into shore power? Possibly you drained the battery?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:52 AM   #9

No, I was not plugged in but the batteries were fully charged. When I parked, I shut off the inverter and had driven 350 miles 3 days prior. I can't imagine them discharging that quickly with nothing on but the stuff that always run. When I discoved that it had gone off, I shut it off, restarted and over the day the temp reduced to about 17 degrees when I was ready to leave. I still did not charge; either with the engine or gen.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #10

I had a similar problem with the Norcold unit in my coach and it was a clogged drain tube. It drains into a small cup that is behind the access panel on the outside of the coach. I just took a thin piece of wire and ran it in and out of the tube and got all of the gunk out. I was told to be careful to not enlarge the opening in the tube while doing this.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #11

Daly,

Did you get your refrig. icing up problem sorted out at Camping World? Would be interested in what they found.

Beverly
Old 11-10-2006, 05:38 AM   #12

This was our problem and solution to the refrig. icing problem. There was a hole in the box where the thermostat is behind the ice tray. One could see daylight thru it, allowing moisture to come in. It was filled with a non-silicone product (we were told that silicone would shrink) used to work on refrig. (I can't remember the name of the product). Seems to be fine now.