Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #1

Refrigerator Voltage

Getting ready for a good weekend and went to the Rv and there was this clicking going on. I looked and the noise was coming from the back of the Frig. I have a 2003 38FDDS Alpine. We have the 110 or gas to run on. I check and checked and when I turned it off I had 13.56 volts then when I turned it on I had 8 volts and the relay and the lights on the inside where flashing. At first it wouldn't work in the electric position either. I ran 12volts to it and it works fine. Now I'm hunting where does the 12volts come from? I have looked at my wiring diagrams and I tested all the fuses at the panel. I'm going to go though the library today. Does anyone know where the start of that 12volts for the refrigerator is at. It has to be fused but I can't find it. The 110 volts is fine. I went though all the Battery's and They are fine. I can't find the starting point. If anyone has been here I could use your help.
Thanks
Larry Pate
2003 38FDDS Alpine Coach 350 Cummins ISC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #2

If you always have some voltage maybe it can be a bad connection and not a fuse? Maybe you can hook up a 12 volt light and wiggle the wires some and see if it gets brighter. I may be off base here but just trying to help.

Good luck pard!

Old 04-20-2016, 06:12 AM   #3

I would first re-check the battery connections. Don't just look but loosen and tighten them.

The corrosion is often hidden and causing a bad connection that will show normal voltage until a load is placed on them.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #4

I was looking at a wiring diagram and I did see it saying red number 10 wire to refer at the Battery's. I'm assuming that is refrigerator. I will clean all those connections there and see what that does. Thanks guys I couldn't find where the wire went to. It said it has a 20amp fuse. I spent the day yesterday making sure the refrigerator didn't have a problem and when I turned the switch on the refrigerator to off it shows 13volts. Then when I turned it on it was only 8 volts and would run for a minute then start clicking.
I will clean it up and see what that does and will report back.
Thanks again
Larry Pate
Old 04-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Refrigerator Voltage

Larry, first I have a residential refer in a 2005 (WRV drastically changed the wiring between '03 and '05) so l am working from memory of when I had a 110/12/propane unit and I just reread your original post.

Since you said the lights inside flash AND the refer works fine on a externally connected battery your problem is most likely with the batteries, the load the refer draws is pulling the batteries down. Get the battery bank capacity checked. To prove this, connect the external battery instead of the battery bank in the battery bay (I assume you previously attached it at the refer) with the inverter/charged turned off (to remove that load) turn the refer on, if it does not "switch" and the lights do not flash it is the battery bank. Do not leave it in this configuration, the external battery does not have the capacity to run the entire coach. If it does "switch" and flash look for a wiring problem.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #6

Dave has a good option-- trying an external battery.

AFTER, repeat AFTER checking that all house battery connections are clean and tight, you could also use the BOOST SWITCH to bring the chassis battery on-line (assuming it/they are good). Think of that as a "built in external battery".
Old 04-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #7

Besure to check both positive and negative wire connections--I keep forgetting that more often than not, electrical issues are caused by problems with bad grounds.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Disconnect the Gas Solenoid and see if that's what's dragging the voltage down. Could be just a bad valve for the gas.
Dick
Old 04-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #9

Well guys, I went to the Battery compartment and kept checking voltage. I found a fuse bad and when I took the cover off it fell apart and the fuses inside were shot. I put a inline fuse in and cleaned everything up. She's working fine for now. I did a load on all six Battery's and all is well for now they look rough. Turned everything back on and let it charge and she's doing good. I couldn't find the wire from the frig to the Battery's. They called it refer. I've got all this wrote down. I think when we get back and get ate up with money I'll replace those Battery's. The diagram shows only 4 and I have 6 do I really need that many for what I do? We do very little Boone docking, maybe a day. I'll use the gen If I need. They are not on sale and four should do me. Do you guys keep six ready? Thanks for all the input, that's why I really like this forum. You guys help me fill in the blanks. Thanks again
Larry
Old 04-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

Little boon-docking, no residential fridge--4 six volts are probably fine. Mine was one of the first Alpines with a residential fridge--OEM was 4 bats but I soon upgraded to 6....Frankly, the week we spend each year at Quartzsite is about the only "test" of the bats, inverter and genset we get....
Old 04-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Refrigerator Voltage

Larry, glad you got it figured out. If you change back to 4 batteries be sure to adjust the charge rate on your inverter/charger as part of the change, it SHOULD be set to charge 6.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:07 PM   #12

Translated--that would be approx 440 amp/hours for 4 six-volt bats vs 660 for 6-six volt bats. However, if you do have the Xantrex RS2000 inverter/charger, I havent seen much difference in charge rates between the two settings. Also, since 440 is the factory default setting, the RS2000 seems to like the 440 setting regardless of how many bats you have--dont know why, just does......
Old 04-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The clicking you heard was the gas trying to light because it saw low voltage. If it wont run on gas you have another little fuse in the circuit board. If that fuse is good you may have a dirty burner and or dirty thermo-couple. Open up the bottom of the stack and dismantle and clean.

Tags
refrigerator