Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:28 AM   #1

we have a dometic double door refrigerator in our new 34' alpine coach and the water tastes bitter coming out of the spigit..the ice maker makes good ice and the ice doesn't taste bad..I am going to try freezing the water and see if it still tastes bad after freezing..also the water does not come out cold so I assume it does not cool the water just makes ice..Dometic does not have an answer. the water in the rest of the coach is fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2008, 04:28 AM   #2

we have a dometic double door refrigerator in our new 34' alpine coach and the water tastes bitter coming out of the spigit..the ice maker makes good ice and the ice doesn't taste bad..I am going to try freezing the water and see if it still tastes bad after freezing..also the water does not come out cold so I assume it does not cool the water just makes ice..Dometic does not have an answer. the water in the rest of the coach is fine.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
If there is a filter in the system, it's most likely contaminated. Change the filter and then run the water for about 10 minutes to get all the surface charcoal out of it, water should then taste better.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:36 AM   #4

there is a filter but it also serves the sink faucets and they are good water. it is just the water to the refrig door spigit..
Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #5

I had a separate ice maker water filter installed when I purchased my coach. You may want to check and see whether or not you also have one.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:48 AM   #6

I found out by freezing the water from the fridge water spigit and then letting it thaw that it does not taste bad so the ice is ok cause it gets frozen before using it so the bad taste is coming maybe from the braded hose that feeds the solenoid that delivers water to either one? that hose goes to a shutoff like the one under the house sink that you twist a little T to shut off. will get some water directly from it and see if it is bad..life goes on!!! Mel
Old 09-14-2008, 05:44 AM   #7

I took the braided water line loose from the supply and filled it with hydrogen peroxide and reconnected it and ran it for a few seconds, then let it sit for a while and then flushed it out..now the water is better..will see how long it lasts but the water coming into the 2 part celenoid that feeds both dispensers tasted ok when I put some in a cup from there. Will see..Mel
Old 09-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
On our 2002, I installed a small "ice maker" water filter into the line feeding the ice maker, behind the fridge. It is very simple to do.

The problem with the propane fridge's, is that the back is exposed to the outside air temperature. In hot weather when the ice maker is not being used, for extended periods of time, the water in the lines behind the fridge can get stagnant. If the power to the fridge is off in freezing weather, you can freeze the solenoid. (Don't ask how I know.)
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:16 AM   #9

Thanks..will use it now for a few weeks and see how it does..we are off to the Albq balloon festival so should give it a good test. =M
Old 09-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #10

ran a glass of water and was a bit tasty and threw it away and water after that is fine..Must have been stagnet water in the lines from sitting for a year before being sold. the hydrogen peroxide that I put in the metal braded line and ran it thru and let it set for an hour or two must have done the trick. thanks to all for your help..Even Josh from Uhlmann's called me to check to see it we got it fixed. Now we can share it with anyone else having the same problem.. =M