Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #1

Relay Identification

I got my coach last spring. Since then I have been in reactive mode fixing problems. The last three times I have had the coach out I left home with no problems and returned with no problems. That is a good feeling. So I now have some time to be proactive. One of the things on my list is to get a spares inventory on board. Can someone please tell me what the below pictured relay does. The relay with the yellow arrow. BTW that is not a picture of my battery compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	122516  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I'm pretty sure it's the "Interconnect Solenoid" as depicted in the attached diagram.

Cummins Cable Layout.pdf

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:35 AM   #3

Bob I looked at that drawing and found the interconnect solenoid but not the relay. When I go home tonight I will pull the wire off the coil side of that relay when the solenoid is active and see if the solenoid drops out.

Thank you for pointing me to that drawing. Although I have scanned through those files I did not open that one because it was called "Cummins Cable Layout". I think I will go back and open all of them. Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I assume you're referring to the item pointed at by a yellow arrow in your original picture. I have an older year coach but it could be the "Combining Relay" that does activate the solenoid to keep the chassis batteries charged. My year coach employs an Echo Charger which I believe was changed in favor of a "Combining Relay" when the House bats exceed some nominal voltage (+13.0V or so). Hopefully, someone with a newer year coach can explain what that relay does. And you're absolutely right, it does not show up on that diagram.

Don't you love it when you come across a wiring diagram that should provide all the details but ... "not exactly"!?
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 PM   #5

I was happy you pointed me to that drawing and a little embarrassed that I hadn't opened it before.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rick-

Do you have a manual battery combiner switch on the dash? It could be labeled "AUX BOOST." If you do, have someone flip the switch and see if the relay activates.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:00 PM   #7

So i went out to the coach. Vansco output 19 was high and the interconnect solenoid was energized. Removed the relay from the plug and no change. With the ignition on and Vansco output 19 low I had my wife press the battery boost button with the relay unplugged and the solenoid energized. Guess I'll keep looking.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #8

Relay function?

I've also got a 2006 34' Rick, and have not figured out the function of the relay adjacent to the interconnect solenoid (Item 22 on the Cummins cable dwg) since significant opening of wire looms is required to trace. However, on my coach, if you trace the solenoid actuating power (pretty easy), I found it to go to a bank of two relays adjacent to the output of Vansco computer located in the battery bay (have not cut open that loom to trace which Vansco output uses the bank of two relays). I believe one of the two relays by the computer take the low power output of the Vansco on receipt of the appropriate control signal (e.g., engine running - close interconnect solenoid), and closes the "big" solenoid, Item 22, to charge both chassis and house batteries off the alternator. Without checking, I kinda believe the relay adjacent to the interconnect solenoid is one of the ignition switch start functions that provides power to close the engine starter solenoid (up in the amps range to close the starter solenoid for powering the starter motor). My "repair kit" includes two 30 amp and two 40 amp, five pin automotive relays in case some function outside the Vansco responsibilities craps out for the unidentified relays in places like the battery compt. Hope this helps; if you decide to trace it out, please advise so I can label.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:22 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Have you looked for a wire number stamped on the wires, WRV numbered the wires and it is shown in most wiring diagrams.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:26 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies. I have not cut open the wire looms to trace. Sunday I will take a look. I did however purchase spare fuses and relays.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:39 PM   #11

Smile Relay function???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrthor View Post
I got my coach last spring. Since then I have been in reactive mode fixing problems. The last three times I have had the coach out I left home with no problems and returned with no problems. That is a good feeling. So I now have some time to be proactive. One of the things on my list is to get a spares inventory on board. Can someone please tell me what the below pictured relay does. The relay with the yellow arrow. BTW that is not a picture of my battery compartment.
Went ahead and cut the binders on my looms and pulled the small relay off the bulkhead since existing arrangement pretty scruffy - the white and red load wires (terminals 30 & 87/87A) are ABS functions (W = ABS-30; R=ABS-PMP); the black control (term 85/86) is labelled 1435A-B, white wire labeling is illegible. Expect to receive detailed 12 volt schematics from EngineerMike any day, so should be able to provide further clarification on what the relay does for ABS. My relay is of the 5 pin, 30 amp variety for spare considerations.
While I was at it re: relays, my interconnect solenoid is a Trombetta 12 v continuous duty solenoid, Part #114-1211-020. Since not charging both (house and chassis) batteries off the alternator is not an option for me, decided to carry a spare of that one too - $45 at Murcal, Inc. ($~100 other sources).
Old 03-31-2016, 03:49 PM   #12

Relay functions

No problem, Rick. The real coincidence to you having the same type coach is that I also got mine used last June '15, and that I have also been in the reactive mode fixing problems acquired with the coach, but am now shifting to the proactive preventive maintenance measures to ensure pleasure when on the road.
To answer the question, I believe EngineerMike has a cache of materials not yet available in the library and/or that do not lend themselves (think schematic / drawing size) to online storage. E.g., when I had unbelievable problems with what I thot was the front VMM, Mike was able to provide me the detailed (2' X 3') drawings of the Vansco interconnects that permitted me to trace my problem to the multi-pin connector above the DG (intermittent pin connector), and provide valuable assistance in diagnosing the system to eliminate the computers as a potential problem. Suggest referring to the ACA membership listing for contact information, and he may be able to tell you of the differences between the tech library holdings and what he has that may fulfill your documentation needs. To the best of my knowledge, Mike is honchoing a massive effort to collect and dispense as appropriate all available documentation for the Alpine coaches. I have quite a large amount of digital material that 1) I sent to Mike, and 2) can send to you (DVD) if you're interested (contact me offline thru ACA membership listing).
Old 04-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #13

I have a 36mdds alpinecoach and the horn stopped working checked the2
0 led and it lit up when horn was pressed also he 10 lt up now I need to know where the horn relay is? Can someoone help?
Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmllol View Post
I have a 36mdds alpinecoach and the horn stopped working checked the2
0 led and it lit up when horn was pressed also he 10 lt up now I need to know where the horn relay is? Can someoone help?

Hello and Welcome to IRV2 and the Alpine Coach Forum.

Can you provide us with the year of your Alpine, which will make it easier to assist you with your troubles? You should also place the year and which engine is in your Alpine in the signature area of the forum so we can assist you.

You might also look at the Alpine Coach Associations web site technical library for assistance.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat