Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #1

Remove front of Coach to remove Gen to get fixed

Eng Mike, or anyone...
Is there a diagram or directions to remove the front of the coach to access the generator area and remove the gen? Our gen blew the armiture or magnets and has to be fixed. Cummins said we could save some money and time by removing the front end ourselves and then remove the gen to bring to them. We have a 2005 Alpine 36FDDS.
Thanks for your help,
Ken & Cindy
Ken & Cindy Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #2

I just replaced my generator and the easiest way is to drop the generator and lift the motorhome over it. I did not find a way to remove the front without damaging the fiberglass. This is not something you want to do at home. The generator weighs over 400lbs. Check out the price of a new one compared to fixing the old one, that's why I replaced mine in the end. Quiet Diesel 8000 by Cummins Onan : RV Parts Nation
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

If you have to take it out and take it to them to fix, I'd just replace it with a new one. Your doing all the hard work.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #4

Trying to remove the front cap will probably damage it, and that repair would be more than the gen set. I would think that the set would drop out but if so why didn't the shop say so.
Could be they just don't want your coach at their shop while they do the repair on the gen set. JMHO. don't buy your new set from them .
Old 07-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

Now that I think about it, the gen slides out w/the motor to a certain extent. No reason you couldn't set up some rolling dollies (hello dollies!!), drop the whole gen slide assembly a few inches so the cap isn't scraping, then roll the whole setup out to get access to the gen. Would take a flat, solid surface (or really large wheels on gravel). You'd have to extend the gen slide at least enough to remove the large pins from their receivers, etc. Then get some kind of lift like a heavy duty trans jack. And you'd want plenty of friends with plenty of beer and lawn chairs to laugh while you struggle away.
But it sounds pretty easy.
Algoma's is an HWH extension setup, and more complex. The electric gen slide bolts up from below into the bottom lip of the frame. So it would be easier to remove the gen motor assembly, remove those vertical bolts into the frame, probably remove some other junque I can't remember the extent of, disconnect the 120v & 12V & diesel, drop the slide, tap a brew, and skidoo.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #6

Hi Mike,
Ken and our friend Dennis had the front off and the generator out in about 2 hours. Front came off easily. After unhooking the electrics and fuel lines and 2 beers(!) it all came out smoothly. Taking it to the Cummins dealer tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Ken & Cindy Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I hope you figure out if a new one would be a better choice than fixing the old one. Here is why you should think about that. The "generator section" will be fixed and like new, the engine part will still have all those years and hours on it. Unless they are going to rebuild both sections, I as well as others, put in a new one, keep the old one for repairs unless it's needed as a core.

Please provided the year and model of your coach in the signature for you name on the posts you make.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Speaking of Genset troubles...I tried to check the oil on mine and the dipstick had come apart ...all that was left was the handle with a frayed piece of cable attached. Anyone ever have this problem and was a new dipstick hard to find ?
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I just recently noticed my fresh water tank is sagging due to the Cheapo pressed-board support piece coming apart ( Luxury coach...Really? ). Have any of you had to replace one of these so-called supports ? I can't carry much water until it is repaired !
Old 08-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Dubya - The dipstick issues is a known problem with some onan gensets, a friend of mine with another brand had the same thing happen to him. Onan/cummins they will get you all fixed up, with a new improved dipstick, and you can buy a flexiable tool at Napa with a spring loaded gripping end, and feel down that tube and grab the old one if your lucky.

The Fresh water tank, you are the first coach I have heard about this happening too, however, its an avalanche, and those coaches were made much cheaper than the Limited SE's and APEX's. WRV ended up buying back lots of them because they were not made well, they fixed the problems in the repurchased coaches and then resold them back into the market place. It's buyer beward in this market.

Take a picture and someone will come up with a solution, one option is to make a piece of steel bracket/rod for a support structure from the floor of the compartment to the top of the bracket which is coming lose and make sure it cannot move from the point of connection.

I routinely carry 100 gallons of fresh water in our water tank for hundreds of miles and no problems. We have done this since we purchased it in 08.

Hope this helps.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renipladlo View Post
Dubya - The dipstick issues is a known problem with some onan gensets, a friend of mine with another brand had the same thing happen to him. Onan/cummins they will get you all fixed up, with a new improved dipstick, and you can buy a flexiable tool at Napa with a spring loaded gripping end, and feel down that tube and grab the old one if your lucky.

The Fresh water tank, you are the first coach I have heard about this happening too, however, its an avalanche, and those coaches were made much cheaper than the Limited SE's and APEX's. WRV ended up buying back lots of them because they were not made well, they fixed the problems in the repurchased coaches and then resold them back into the market place. It's buyer beward in this market.

Take a picture and someone will come up with a solution, one option is to make a piece of steel bracket/rod for a support structure from the floor of the compartment to the top of the bracket which is coming lose and make sure it cannot move from the point of connection.

I routinely carry 100 gallons of fresh water in our water tank for hundreds of miles and no problems. We have done this since we purchased it in 08.

Hope this helps.
Monty, Thanks for the reply. I've e-mailed Cummins/Onan about the dipstick problem and am awaiting an answer. The water tank problem is the fiberboard sheet that spans the iron support brackets and it is disintegrating. too bad WRV didn't install a sheet of Marine grade plywood instead for support.
A sheet of Aluminum would have been even better !

I'll have to empty the tank and figure out how to hold it up while I replace the support floor piece.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:34 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Looks like I have a New Hobby...Its called an AVALANCHE ! (:>)
Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Dubya:

The Alpine Coaches I've seen (mine, too) have no floor under the tank. The tank just sits on an angle-iron frame with two cross-braces. Maybe you can just remove the "wood" and install some cross-braces, for a bolt-in solution. I can send a photo If it helps.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
Dubya:

The Alpine Coaches I've seen (mine, too) have no floor under the tank. The tank just sits on an angle-iron frame with two cross-braces. Maybe you can just remove the "wood" and install some cross-braces, for a bolt-in solution. I can send a photo If it helps.
Thanks, A photo might help me figure a way to remedy the problem.When I start filling the tank the tank bottom starts sagging on the torn side of the floor support so I only fill it halfway now. I'll try and post a decent photo to show how it is set up.

P.S I notice your Long Beach location...My Wife and I grew up in the North Long Beach and Lakewood areas in the fifties...great times !