Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Replace that Jensen dash radio!

My Jensen in dash radio completely failed, and since it was out of warranty, I could get no repair help from the factory. I recently upgraded to a Pioneer FH-P8000BT receiver, and WOW what a difference! I was convinced that I would also have to replace the stock speakers that WRV installed, but now, I am very happy with the audio quality. The Pioneer includes a built in Bluetooth handsfree speakerphone, as well as iPod USB connection and remote control. I paired my iPhone, and now the Pioneer turns off the audio and routes the calls to the speakers automatically - even if the receiver is turned OFF! You can also upload your contacts from phone to Pioneer, so you can dial with the remote. I never have to touch the phone while driving. I routed the included microphone through the dash and up the drivers reading light gooseneck. When I get a call, I just move the gooseneck over, and my callers hear me perfectly with no background noise. One of the nicest radio features is "top 5 station seach by signal strenbth." When you want to listen to radio in a new area, just hit this search and the 5 strongest stations near you are programmed in to FM1 or AM1. I keep my local stations programmed into FM2, so they won't be overwritten. ALL of this included for only $230!

There is some custom dash work involved, as all "double DIN" height radios are apparently not the same size. The Pioneer is about 1/4" taller than the Jensen. I opted to purchase Pioneer's ADT-VA133 ($30) installation kit, which I believe is virtually essential to complete a professional installation. The installation involves cutting a larger hole in the dash with a utility knife, and significantly modifying the wood-grain bracket that holds the electric visor switches. I was able to complete the entire install with the knife and basic hand-tools.

I have attached two images that detail the installation. Driving down the road is even more enjoyable, now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	1276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1277  

Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Looks great! Sounds like a great choice in heads, too. I installed the Alpine iDA-X100, sounds very similar to yours.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I will assume it has a satellite feature built in! Since my jeep has it. The Jensen has the satellite feature, but does not work for some reason, been too busy to call them and see what the exchange was. Now with the pioneer mentioned above, and the better quality, I would wait for the Jensen to quit and move to the pioneer. How many discs can it hold, more than one I hope?
Old 09-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
DISKS!!! How passe! On most nicer, head units, if you want disks, you need a separate component. The market is moving to all digital mp3/iPod/smartphone music interface. No disk.

The Alpine I bought (I had to for the name), has a connection for my old disk changer, and a connection for iPod/smartphone/memorystick.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Having my phone, or a separate IPod player just means another ugly cord hanging around. Putting in 6 discs with mp3 on them means I can have over 600 songs in the machine, no ugly cords hanging all over the place. So having a disc changer in the machine is a plus to me. I don't want to spend the time loading a separate device with music when I can make a disc in 5 minutes with as many as 120 songs on it. I certainly don't want to repay for the music I already own either, like from the apple store or something. So I am old fashioned and cheap.

Additionally, I don’t own an MP3 Player or an IPod. I do have a GPS I can put 5000 songs one, but the same cord that powers it, also is the out for the music playing ability, so it only last a couple of hours. I could use my cell phone, but again, need a memory card for it, and then those ugly cords again, what is a person to do, keep the old machine, it does what I need it to do.

And if anyone has not figured it all out, it's called the printer ink model. That equals this: Sell the printer cheap, charge very high prices for the ink, same with the music players, charge nothing for them, charge a buck a song for the music, so if you pay 50 for the player, and then purchase 500 songs for it, you have bought it over 5 times. Kodak has a new printer out which is more expensive than the competition, but the ink is cheaper and its output is as good as any of the others. You see the printer model in the movie industry as well, sell the blue ray player cheap, charge 25 dollars for each movie, and they got you buying all the old ones over again, not me brother, let em go broke. And since I got the alpine, all my spare money is going into it, because the quality is so high. Off my box now.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry, Monte, it only has one CD capability....however, at 120 songs per CD it might not be such a hassle to change every 6 hours.

My qualifications (in order) for making this purchase:

1. No way I'd buy another Jensen.
2. Double DIN height (although, I ended up with a lot of mod work anyway)
3. Bluetooth speakerphone.
4. Cheap price. (I got it from a wholesale house)
5. Better tuner.
6. More audio EQ control.
7. Remote (but now that I have it, would move this item up on the list)
8. iPod interface.
9. CD player.

HD radio and Satellite radio is available as an add-on box for additional cost. I might add the HD radio, but am not willing to pay a subscription. As noted above, an external CD juke box is very possible, as there are multiple aux inputs on the receiver. There may even be a Pioneer model that interfaces, but I did not research.

Hear ya, Monte, with regard to the largest money pit we own! (it could be worse - you could have a curbside living room slide) Gotta have a hobby, though....
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Oh good, one is enough. All the other stuff is fine. And we don't listen to the Jensen except when we are driving. So the main stereo is one we listen to the most. We soon will be embarking on our sojurn to Florida (From PacNW) so we will have a fair amount of windshield time. One thing I do really like about the Jensen is the weather radio function. I don't know as it has an alarm, but heading through the midwest and south, we will enable an alarm on one of our weather radios as severe weather can sneak up on you anytime and we need to be prepared. I like the fact the Jensen has that feature.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Oh good, one is enough. All the other stuff is fine. And we don't listen to the Jensen except when we are driving. So the main stereo is one we listen to the most. We soon will be embarking on our sojurn to Florida (From PacNW) so we will have a fair amount of windshield time. One thing I do really like about the Jensen is the weather radio function. I don't know as it has an alarm, but heading through the midwest and south, we will enable an alarm on one of our weather radios as severe weather can sneak up on you anytime and we need to be prepared. I like the fact the Jensen has that feature.
To us the integrated weather radio is an important feature. We have the "ugly sister" to the Jensen, Magnadyne. I have had a love/hate relationship with the unit but living in Tornado Ally keeping abreast to the weather is pretty important and the Magnadyne has a weather receiver. It is a much better receiver than our handheld 2 ways or the stand alone wx receiver.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Yep, my thought exactly. My BH received a nice gift at her 35 anniversary working for the Government; it's a Oregon Scientific WRB603. It has a base station and a handheld unit you can take hiking with you, or turn on and let it stay in alert mode. We usually watch the weather each evening or check the NOAA local weather on the computer, but when we travel, we will have this one with us. Check it out, it's very accurate and we like how its display is easy to read with large numbers! It’s a pain to put the key in the switch and turn on the Jensen just to get the weather. We have not subscribed to Direct TV yet, so we don’t get the weather channel or any local weather unless the local stations come in on the TV. Direct TV is on the agenda, but the prices had better be good, or they can keep it. There is just not that much on TV I need to watch.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Old:

My Alpine, in the Alpine has a 10-disk CD changer, but I don't really use it now. My iPod has 5936 songs on it and is only 1/8th full, no disks to change or wear out. It's only a couple inches long and an inch wide. It sits either up in the cabinet or near the head unit, tucked beside the console. Since it's functions are "moved" to the head unit, you don't need to have it out, in the way (no ugly cords). I also have all the songs copied to a 1/2" x 1 1/2" memory stick, also only 1/8th full.

I copied my entire CD collection to my laptop, my cell phone, the memory stick and the iPod, everything I ever owned or borrowed. The CD changer is now just a space waster and a CD Jukebox would be even worse. However, in your and Scott's defense, it did take me three years to finally start using the iPod after it was gifted to me. Now it's irreplaceable.

Sadly I had to listen to a high schooler give me the same run down before I acquiesced. He laughed at me when I asked where the CDs go. You can't fight technology, but you can just ignore it, like I did (for a while, anyhow).
Old 09-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
This is an old post, but I was curious if anyone else has upgraded their jensen to another unit. If you have please post the name/model number of what you chose. The SiriusXM radio playlist has old time radio shows, and I like to listen to them when driving, although I could just download them and put them on my phone since the jensen has an aux port, but, since I'm paying for the service anyway, it would be nice if the Jensen worked. If anyone has the owners manual in pdf format, please post here, or a link to same, I don't have the model number handy. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Having my phone, or a separate IPod player just means another ugly cord hanging around. Putting in 6 discs with mp3 on them means I can have over 600 songs in the machine, no ugly cords hanging all over the place. So having a disc changer in the machine is a plus to me. I don't want to spend the time loading a separate device with music when I can make a disc in 5 minutes with as many as 120 songs on it. I certainly don't want to repay for the music I already own either, like from the apple store or something. So I am old fashioned and cheap.

Additionally, I donít own an MP3 Player or an IPod. I do have a GPS I can put 5000 songs one, but the same cord that powers it, also is the out for the music playing ability, so it only last a couple of hours. I could use my cell phone, but again, need a memory card for it, and then those ugly cords again, what is a person to do, keep the old machine, it does what I need it to do.

And if anyone has not figured it all out, it's called the printer ink model. That equals this: Sell the printer cheap, charge very high prices for the ink, same with the music players, charge nothing for them, charge a buck a song for the music, so if you pay 50 for the player, and then purchase 500 songs for it, you have bought it over 5 times. Kodak has a new printer out which is more expensive than the competition, but the ink is cheaper and its output is as good as any of the others. You see the printer model in the movie industry as well, sell the blue ray player cheap, charge 25 dollars for each movie, and they got you buying all the old ones over again, not me brother, let em go broke. And since I got the alpine, all my spare money is going into it, because the quality is so high. Off my box now.
My Coach has the Jensen Radio and I hardly ever use it because my DVD player has Surround Sound and a I-Pod plug-in Plus it plays my CD's and the radio in Surround mode. It was in the coach when I bought it so I'm not sure if it was factory installed or not. There's a little flat, round disc on the roof with coax attached...would that be a Sirius antenna ?

Wayne & Pat White
Salem, Oregon
05' Avalanche/02' Grand Vitara Toad
Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Should have updated this post, with what I did. SirusXM offers members cheap, powerful Satellite radios cheap, I got one for 29 dollars, which is 70 cheaper than the Jensen add in part necessary for theirs. In getting input from other members, there is already a satellite antenna on the roof of the coach, and using the AUX input on the jensen with a patch cord from Radio Shack, it works perfectly. So this issues has been completed with satisfactory results.