Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
Replaced A/C shroud

A couple of weeks ago I had one of my A/C shrouds get blown apart in a high wind night in the desert. I decided to replace both, since the other one was also cracked and due to leave the coach.....

I ended up ordering two from these folks and installed yesterday:

Penguin Dometic Duo Therm RV Air Conditioner Shroud

I bought from them to save a few bucks, but I don't know if I am happy and probably would recommend getting original equipment from Camping World or the like. The holes in the new covers did not line up quite right and I had to redrill some of the holes. The cover material seems to be thinner and felt wimpier. I did not measure to compare thickness. The old covers had a foam insert bonded to rest on a portion of the A/C inside framing and the new ones did not.

2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
The mounting screws were loose and the holes elongated on both of our AC covers.
I used some 1/16" X 1" X 3" aluminum and epoxied to the underside of the covers and redrilled the holes. stainless hex head sheet metal screws and washers to replace the old screws.

Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
This thread hits my #1 "pet peeve" since purchasing my coach (used). We didn't even realize that the front A/C cover was missing which kept it from blowing cold air. I paid a local dealer to replace (& paint) a new cover which ended up flying off on my very first trip. I got the dealer to replace it under warrantee to only have it come loose on my next trip to North Carolina.

My son & I discovered the same issues with the mounting method but more importantly noticed that the cover is actually larger than the unit's mounting. We added 1/2" weather stripping competely around the mounting surface to take up the space & help seal it. We relaced the screws with #10 sheet metal type screws, flat washers, & locker washers.

We also drilled new holes along the side and added additional mounting screws & washers. You may not like the idea that these new screws are easily visible from the ground but I prefer "reliability over appearance". It's not that big of a deal to me.

Since having so many problems with these covers, I now use a 2' bungy cord across the middle of both covers. Again, I prefer reliability over appearance and find it EXTREMELY annoying when a cover comes loose while traveling. Eventually, I hope to trust the mountings enough to eliminate the bungy cords.

I emailed Dometic Technical Support about the fact that these covers do not seem to fit more correctly on the Penquin A/C units. They replied with how great their products are and apologized for the problems I'm having. NO REAL SOLUTION OFFERRED! They're obviously in denial!?
Bob Bowers (Surprise, AZ)
2003 Alpine Coach 40' FDTS
2014 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Rich&Cork- you can DIY the foam on the underside of the plastic cover. I used peel n stick foam from HD & replaced the falling-off cheepo stuff from Dometic and increased the efficiency of the AC remarkably. Wife asked (w/out knowing I had done anything), "What did you do to the AC? Its working GREAT!"
I told her I had fixed the air flow on the rear one only. She made me do the front one the next week. I shoulda kept my mouth shut.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote