Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
Battery and Inverter Problem Corrected!!Yea!

My Battery and Inverter problem is corrected. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and calls. The problem was actually solved by something someone suggested from a phone call that was a result of the Forum.

I feel as if I need to go back over everthing we did so if any of you run into this problem, you will not spend two very stressful days.

As a result of my battery dealer checking my house batteries to determine which ones were bad, my inverter was knocked off line or something else happened. (I know now that I should have cut off my inverter on both panels under the bathroom sink so it would not take a unusual charge from the batteries) After they were through checking my batteries and I returned home to park my MH, I pluged the shore power in and did hear the transfer switch come on. I always check my inverter panel on the inside of my coach to make sure I have power going through the coach. The inverted panel was blank and showed no activity. The surge guard showed that electricty was coming in the coach, but no amps were being used. My inverter under my coach in the bay area showed bluk charge only light.(My batteries did recharge that night) I pressed reset button to get the inverter back on, but nothing happened. NOt panic time yet but close. Turned shore power off and cranked generator to see if that made a difference, it did not. Called my traveling buddies to get advice. Did actually go to the Alpine Forum to post the problem. Was this a fuse problem, battery problem or inverter problem??

Next day(Wednesday), I went back over everthing including all my battery cables to make sure all were connected as before. As suggested from the Alpine Forum, we started backing up from shore power on to the batteries checking with a meter. We removed the cover from the transfer switch and checked power coming in and out. Had power in and power out. Schametic showed that power went from the transfer switch to big panel in bathroom area under the sink. Had power there. Did not know where power went from there-found out from a phone call from a person on the forum that the electricty went back to the inverter to be distributed throughout the coach(This is not the exact truth, but as explained to be that is basically what happens). Inverter shows no lights except bulk charge. We(traveling buddies) decided that we did not have enough time or knoweledge to chase this problem. Carried coach to RV repair shop.

According to them, they checked all fuses starting at the battery bank. Battery fuse (250 amp), Inverter fuse (250 amp)(I think the amps are correct per a conversation with a forum participate). They traced everything that we had traced and determined that the problem was the inverter!! It was not passing any current to any other location in the coach. The inverter is the center of the coach power.

In talking with Alpine Forum participates, one suggested shocking the inverter to make it come back on. A shock of extreme current caused it to locked down, maybe a shock would make it come back. This person had had his inverter lock down once. He suggested that we disconnect the battery cable going to the inverter, let the inverted rest for 5 to 10 minutes so if any ponts were stuck it would cool and maybe release. The repair shop took the battery cable lose on the down side, away from the battery fuse. He placed the cable back on the terminal and the lights started blinking on the inverter. Those little blinking lights really looked great to me!! The inverter panel inside my coach still showed the inverter disabled. I went back outside under the bay and turned on (enabled) the inverter and then the lights on the inside panel were ok.

I still must replace two batteries, but I know now what to do before we start working on batteries.

The Alpine Forum participates were great. Thank you for your suggestions. Thank you to the Alpine coach owners who were willing to talk with me and help me through this ordeal. Thank you and I hope this lengthy description help someone else down the road. Again, thank you.

Robert Landrum
2005 Alpine Limited
40ft, fdts
jrlandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!