Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #1

Replacing LG LSS3200-A satellite receiver

We have the LG LSS3200-A satellite receiver. ALL inputs go thru the receiver... cable, antenna, and satellite. They don't make this model anymore and DirecTV doesn't make a receiver that accepts cable input... not surprising. It seems that it would be complex to replace since switches would have to be added, similar to the way the rear TV works. Has anyone replaced their LG with a DirecTV receiver? What's involved?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #2

The HR20HD DVR may be a good option. It has an OTA coax inputs that integrate the local air channels into the DTV guide. It is a discontinued but still supported by DTV receiver. I have one in my coach and Reilly like it.

They also offer an AM-21 over the air add on receiver that allows a DTV receiver to revive OTA TV.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #3

I am in the process of replacing mine now. Remove the coax cable marked cable in on the LG. Reroue it to the back of the TV/Monitor and terminate it to the coax connector on the tv or av unit if you have a monitor with no speakers you should have rca jacks labled audio out. Run a red and white rca cord from the audio out on the av unit to a unused audio in on the amplifier. You can now use the tuner on the TV to watck cable and listen to the sound through the amplifier. If you have a monitor with a seperate av unit some have digital tuners and some dont I think the sharp 30 does not but the 32 does If you have a digital tuner route the anntena cable to the av unit the same as the cable tv cable. I think there is 2 inputs on the av unit. Now you can use any direct tv receiver
Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #4

Gator,

Since we're in the same RV park, I would be glad to show you how I got around the cable issue when our RCA satellite receiver, which was setup like your LG, went out and I changed it to a Direct TV DVR.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #5

I have a Sharp Aquos TV (LC-32G4U), and when I look at the back, I have three different cable ends plugged into connections marked input1, input2 and input3. I don't know where the other ends of the cables go to, as you know the back is quite a mess. What's strange is that to watch a DVD, I select input1 on the TV menu. To watch the satellite, cable, or antenna, I set the TV to input5. I don't understand how the inputs on the back of the TV correlate to the menu input numbers. It sounds like I need to take the satellite, cable, and antenna inputs that currently go into my LG receiver, and put them into a switch, where I would select the source I want, and the cable that now comes out of the LG receiver would be the output from the switch. Any of this sound coherent or correct?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67
I have a Sharp Aquos TV (LC-32G4U), and when I look at the back, I have three different cable ends plugged into connections marked input1, input2 and input3. I don't know where the other ends of the cables go to, as you know the back is quite a mess. What's strange is that to watch a DVD, I select input1 on the TV menu. To watch the satellite, cable, or antenna, I set the TV to input5. I don't understand how the inputs on the back of the TV correlate to the menu input numbers. It sounds like I need to take the satellite, cable, and antenna inputs that currently go into my LG receiver, and put them into a switch, where I would select the source I want, and the cable that now comes out of the LG receiver would be the output from the switch. Any of this sound coherent or correct?
Gator,

Give me a call and I will explain it to you. Its faster for me as I am not a great typist.

Tom
509-899-3900

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 Forum
Old 02-02-2011, 03:45 PM   #7

Jerry,

If you haven't talked to Tom yet, here is a relatively quick answer. You absolutely do NOT need a switch. The TV can handle all the inputs you will need. (You might have an A/B switch to select the rooftop or aux satellite dishes. That should be the only switch you need.)

I just looked at the manual for the LC-32G4U TV online. Input 1 is where you say you select your DVD player, and Input 5 is where you get the cable, antenna, and satellite.

Input 1 on your TV is the first "component video" connection on the TV. Either you will have 5 cables connected to it, or apparently 3 cables. If three, they should be yellow (video), and red and white (audio). If 5, they should be green, red, blue (these are the component video) and red and white audio. The other end goes to your DVD player output.

Input 5 on the TV is the DVI-I connector, which is connected from your LG satellite receiver. There is also an audio input next to it, also from the satellite receiver. The LG receiver probably has 3 coax input connectors on it, the antenna, the cable, and the satellite feed. It might even have two satellite connections on it. Hopefully they have a color code as follows:

Roof satellite - Green
Aux satellite - Purple
Over air antenna - White
Cable - Red

If not, look where they are connected to the LG satellite receiver, and mark the coax cables accordingly.

Since you are eliminating your LG receiver, you have a new satellite receiver or DVR. Hopefully it has a HDMI output. If so, connect that to your TV, Input 5 (the HDMI input) That has both the audio and video signal. If it doesn't, take it back and get one that does!!! Or connect the component video and audio outputs to Input 2 on your TV.

Connect the antenna coax to Antenna (A) input terminal. Connect the cable coax to Antenna (B) input terminal.

Select Input 1 to watch a DVD as you do now.

Select Input 5 (or 2) to watch the satellite.

Tune the cable or over the air station you want on the TV. Read the TV manual to learn how to scan to find the stations and info on selecting the two different antenna inputs. (Over the air versus cable)

I hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post

Select Input 5 (or 2) to watch the satellite.
Oops! That should have been "Input 4 (or 2) to watch the satellite" if wired like I suggested. Sorry about that.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I also have the Sharp Aquos but mine is connected to a Winegard Slimline Dish. I am currently having a problem with the dish and Winegard is sending a new turret because it is not producing the 18V and 13V needed to lock onto Direct TV satellite. That problem is being solved.

After my dish quit working I tried to search the cable channels on the TV but found that the Air Antenna would work fine but not the cable. I found the cable coax (RED) was not connected to anything. The Air cable was connected directly to the TV. After removing the Over Air antenna and replacing it with the cable coax, I can now get cable channels and of course no air channels.

My setup is connected as follows
Input 1 comes from DVD Player
Input 2 is the Silverleaf
Input 3 is the front auxiliary
Input 7 comes from the satellite using an HDMI connection.

Can I connect both the cable and over the air antenna directly to the TV with a splitter (not AB switch) and control both air and cable from the Sharp TV?

If not can I use Input 5 or 6 to control the cable and the TV to control the Over the air antenna?
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:26 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Jim:

The OTA line passes through a booster and adds electricity to the coax cable. I'm not sure, but it may affect the cable connection, if both arrive at a splitter instead of an A/B switch.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Can the Cable be controlled and channel selection be made through input 6 Hdmi?
40FT FDFS #75725
Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear
You can not use any input for cable, it must be associated with a tuner to change channels. I think your AV unit has two tuners. Hook the cable to the coax input labled A Or B check your mannual for the location. In setup on the TV you will have to set the tuner for cable and scan the channels. Check your mannual fot instructions.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 Forum
Old 02-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Bear View Post
Jim,

Only if you have an external tuner for the cable, like a DVD recorder with a tuner in it, or something like the Winegard digital tuner. I am not sure if the Winegard digital tuner has an HDMI output. Mine does not. Newer models might. Since my TV does not have a tuner, I use the Winegard digital tuner for the antenna, and a DVD recorder as a tuner for the cable. My DVD recorder is an older model, and didn't have a digital tuner in it, just an analog tuner. Both of them have component video connections to the TV. I use the two HDMI inputs on the TV for the HD DVR and the DVD player/sound system.

If you have room for the added component, that might be a way to go. Then you could switch everything using the TV and never have to get out of your chair. Of course, one more remote.

Otherwise, you need to use the coax inputs and the tuner in the TV like Tom said. (Not an option for me with the plasma monitor.)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
I was able to solve the problem today by purchasing an AB switch with a remote from Radio Shack. I connected the antenna to the A terminal and the cable to the B terminal then the TV terminal directly to the TV. I can now use my hdmi input 7 for the satellite and the AB switch through the TV tuner to select either Air or Cable with the remote.

Thanks for all the help.

JIm & Viv
40FT FDFS #75725