Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I just finished replacing the 15/40 motor oil in the system with the factory suggested Rycon 46. It took approximately 90 minutes (two people) and exactly 5 gallons or the new fluid to complete the job. It's much easier with two people as most of the time you are under the coach and some of the lines have to be blown clear from front to back.

I have only driven the coach a few miles since the procedure and only realized a moderate improvement in braking effort. I will be taking the coach on a 200 mile trip this weekend and will report back on the results.

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I just finished replacing the 15/40 motor oil in the system with the factory suggested Rycon 46. It took approximately 90 minutes (two people) and exactly 5 gallons or the new fluid to complete the job. It's much easier with two people as most of the time you are under the coach and some of the lines have to be blown clear from front to back.

I have only driven the coach a few miles since the procedure and only realized a moderate improvement in braking effort. I will be taking the coach on a 200 mile trip this weekend and will report back on the results.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,
I'll be looking forward to your experience after you get back. I've been debating if it is worth the trouble. I'll also be interested on how your radiator does. No "green" from mine yet - same vintage 05-06.
Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:38 PM   #4

In my opinion, it did not make a significant difference.

Clark
Old 05-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Clark,

There is one other adjustment folks have made to change the pedel pressure for the breaks, There is a thread from about 12 to 18 months ago on this forum. It isn't applicable to the 98's and 99's and I don't recall the specifics. I do recall that Ted III had an issue and was able to get it resolved. Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #6

Actually by changing the oil to the Rycon 46 was an improvement. It was not anywhere near what I had hoped for. I have put about 4000 miles on the coach since I changed the fluid but in reality it only takes 5 or 6 stops to realize or not realize the improvement. I have just realized I have a rear axle oil seal leaking (hope everybody understands that) which I am having taken care of today. I can't tell you how long it has been leaking, but I am under the coach enough that it has not been very long, although I wonder if it could have been leaking slightly and getting on the rotor and I did not see it. This certainly would account for some hard stopping. I just can't imagine that I not did not see it.
I do not feel the changing of the oil was a large improvement, but it was an improvement. I have changed the brake pedal position all over and don't feel that does any good at all. I do know that my 96 Monaco Signature 40' stopped a lot easier than this coach and I bought it with a rear axle oil seal leaking. It was a heck of a lot heavier than this 34' coach.
I am also looking for that Prevost that got traded!
Has anyone purchased an Alpine with air brakes? They were offered as an option?

Ted
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #7

Got it. Right rear axle seal. Didn't mean to cause a problem. My '99 Alpine, I always felt, didn't stop as well as it should. Part was the operator. I tended to use them a little too lightly and slightly glaze the rotors thus decreasing the effectiveness. I also found the brakes worked better with a little heat in them; not too much, but warmed up. If I stomped them hard a few times, before starting out the brakes system worked much better. And I got all the MH contents settled. FWIW.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:01 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
My old Prevost that I traded in is at Guaranty RV on their Yuma lot, last I heard.

I met one guy who added an aftermarket air booster, or something like that, and he said it gave him about 30% better braking, and I believe he paid about $600 for it.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
To finish of this original post here are my thoughts on replacing the oil in the hydraulic system with Rycon 46 after driving the coach for a few hundred miles.

There is not much change in the braking system. My guess would be a 10-15% improvement in required pedal pressure. Was it worth the trouble to replace the fluid? Probably, as it needed to be replaced anyway and the Rycon 46 was about the same price as 15-40 oil and it was only about a 90 minute procedure.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:50 PM   #10

So if going from 15-40 weight to 46 weight is 10-15% improvement, would going 15-40 to 50 weight be 20%? Hmmmm...
Maybe 90wt? Hmmmm...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 PM   #11

It seems to me the braking would improve by going to a MORE viscus fluid, ie lower SAE rating. Like SAE 5 or 10... Harold

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Actually the Rycon 46 seemed to be a bit thinner than the oil it replaced. This was just an eye view but it sure looked less viscous.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
The Cummins guy in Yakima who was at the Homeless
Rally last week was asked the question about changing to Rycon. His response was that the system that the oil runs was setup to use 15-40 and changing the fluid may effect the way the fan and what ever else the hydraulic system operates and his recomendation was NOT to change.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #14

The (non-HWH) hydraulic system runs the radiator fan, power steering assist, and power brake boost. The fan should run within spec for practically any oil used. The power steering knuckle can likewise take a wide variance in flow quantity and pressure. The one to watch is the power brake boost unit. If overpressured, the Bosch brake unit will automatically apply the brakes slightly, causing drag, maybe blued brake rotors, etc., not to mention taking a toll on fuel mileage

You can take two quick checks on brake status following an oil change. First, check pedal position when you start the engine. Brake boost pressure is self made by the Bosch unit w/the engine off, so the pedal should be in its full upright position w/engine off; when engine starts the engine's hydraulic pump*, the pedal should stay full up; if it drops by itself, the hydraulic system is overpressuring the system enough to apply the brakes. You hafta tune that back out of your changes somehow.

*for those w/the new emmissions engines, the drive train hydraulic pump is now located as a PTO device off the Allison transmission, not as shaft drive off the forward side of the injection pump as on the majority of WRV coaches.