Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
With the deadline for HDTV only about 15 months away, I'm starting to think about replacing the TV's, with LCD TV's that will be HD ready. The front set doubles as a Rear camera monitor, the bedroom TV hole is 12 inches in width. Will a LCD TV work as a monitor like the current one does? Is special wireing necessary? Has anyone found a LCD TV that will fit into a 12 inch hole? What brands/models/ sizes have you used when replacing these old TV's? Since the new units will be much thiner than the old one's how do you secure tham so they stay in one place? I'm sure that there is more I need to be asking but don't know enough to know what the questions are. Any/all help will be appreciated/

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
With the deadline for HDTV only about 15 months away, I'm starting to think about replacing the TV's, with LCD TV's that will be HD ready. The front set doubles as a Rear camera monitor, the bedroom TV hole is 12 inches in width. Will a LCD TV work as a monitor like the current one does? Is special wireing necessary? Has anyone found a LCD TV that will fit into a 12 inch hole? What brands/models/ sizes have you used when replacing these old TV's? Since the new units will be much thiner than the old one's how do you secure tham so they stay in one place? I'm sure that there is more I need to be asking but don't know enough to know what the questions are. Any/all help will be appreciated/

Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #3

Jeff....

I'd check Costco. That's where I got our Sony Bravia 32" that fit quite well where our Trek had an older CRT TV. Now I'm going to switch out the Hyundai that came with the Alpine in favor of the Bravia. However, the Bravia did say it was not for use in moving vehicles so there may be some electrical subtlety that I'm missing.
For mounts, Costco has two or three types that may work and smaller screens that double as computer screens which I think might fit in place of your 13" (diagonal) screen.

Clark
Old 12-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #4

Jeff- for the bedroom, you might think about a larger TV on a wall type mount. You can get them that swing out to an angle, which can allow you to reclaim the box the old TV sat in as storage. Mounts are available from any reputable electronics store, or even Best Buy.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:44 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SDPilot
Jeff

You might take a look at this - 32" LCD TV upgrade in 2000 Alpine where Danny Gayhart did a replacement of his front TV in a 2000 model. You might also do a search in the forum. I recall that someone else has done a replacement of the TV in the bedroom.

I plan on doing the same to my 1999 36FDS soon.

Good luck
Old 12-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
E-Mike,

I'll see if i can find a reputable electronics store. There is a Best Buy close at had, but I feel like I've just been slimed every time I come out of the place.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #7

You don't have to change the TV's if you don't want to. Early next there will be converters available that will take the broadcast digital TV signal and make it compatible with the old analog sets. The government will give $40 vouchers to help with the expense, see www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/index.html. This only affects broadcast TV in 2009, I believe cable TV is not affected until 2012 and satellite is already digital.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #8

Its a good time to look, LCD TV prices are down. Costco has good selection and prices. They also carry articulating mounts.

For the bedroom and with such a mount, you may be able to remove your wood bezel (assuming you have one) and use the mount for a larger TV, spanning the wall space. It can be secured, for travel, using the plastic snap TV mounts from Cammping World.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

Is this a picture of the articulating arm in the bedroom? It appears that you've attached the arm to the coach on the wall between the Lav and the bedroom. Is that it? Are there studs in that wall? If so, does anyone know the distance between centers? Also, any ideas for the front?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Jim:

To make that picture bigger (and your signature picture smaller), just change the wording in the picture's URL from "thumb" to "medium".

Like this: http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/2.../PICT00141.JPG

Works both ways. I haven't tried "large" or "small" to see if/how they work. Maybe "gigantic" would be even better! LOL!
Old 12-08-2007, 05:35 AM   #11

Jeff,

In my coach, that's the BR/bath area wall, adjacent to my upper cabinet. I found a stud under that mounting location and chose it to give the arm the best "reach".

I also just starting searching dimensions until I found a TV that fit. Bottom mounted speakers offer more viewing space, when confined to an existing "4x3" opening.

Turns out, I had just enough room to squeeze a $60 (costco) DVD player under the TV. Nice thing about this is it connects direct to the TV using component video cables for a significantly improved picture, compared to piping the front DVD thru the Winegard modulator and BR RF connection (which I only use for the Sat/cable signal)

I think stud centers are inconsistent on inner walls.

Here's pic with the TV:

I have the 37" plasma, but two of my buddies asked me for help with LCD TV swaps, where their original tube TVs were traditional "4X3" sized.

What could be "desirably" done depended on original cabinet design and personal aesthetics.

In one case (HR Neptune), the cabinet opening was sized for a TV with side integral speakers. This made the opening wider, offering an opportunity for a newer larger 16x9 "letterbox" LCD (without side speakers). Additionally, the opening was "bordered" by a bezel, which could be removed, making even more room. Mounting can be done with a similar arm, but ideally the new TV should fit inside the cabinet to help unweight the TV during travel (and, of course be secured so it doesn't swing out).

So, it depends on your cabinet design and willingness to make alterations to squeeze in a bigger or different aspect ratio TV. In any case, LCD is the way to go, thinner, lighter, cooler and cheaper, than plasma.

Maybe post a pic of your cabinet?

Takepride, Thanks!, I needed some education on pic posting, still working on the sig pic.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Jim:

Now I feel inspired! The planning starts tomorrow. I guess I didn't realize I needed a bigger TV, I just thought I wanted one. However, your pix are swaying me.

To add a pix to the signature, I believe you just add the URL, bracketed (like in a posting) to your signature line.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #13

TP, you inspired me too!

Cropped and re-sized the sig pic so it's not so overwhelming...

A little bigger TV with better pic quality should make your coach more enjoyable.

While most do, I suggest a TV and DVD capable of supporting HD/ED and "progressive scan". Also, try to find 3' cables. There's limited room in the component cabinet.

The component template, if you have one, can be covered in vinyl, cut to fit new components, if you so desire. It just looks nicer when changing to newer components, which are sized differently.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

I went out to the coach today and did a measure. The TV cabinet sits in the corner on the left side (looking aft). There is a cedar lined clothes closet that starts at the entrance to the bedroom, the TV is next, then the exterior wall. The TV is at an angle, making for easy viewing from the bed. The enclosure has a bezel. The space inside the TV cabinet measures 14.5 inches wide and 13.5 inches high.