Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:23 AM   #15

Duane, thanks for the info. It sounds like you really improved the ability to stop your coach with a reasonible amount of foot pressure. Do you or did Mark feel that the brake booster was FAULTY?
Thanks again

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Just a quick note that I forgot to include, Rykon Premium's name has been changed to Chevron Rando HDZ ISO 46. Haycock Petroleum, in Las Vegas, uses part number 114904605.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #17

Ted: The bosch booster was definately bad. The replacement was a 100 times better than the original. After changing the booster it was decided by Mark Harrah that the effort was still too hard and WRV then changed the oil. This only marginally improved the situation which I could live with but was still not very good. After modifications the braking is very good.

Duane Walker
2007 Alpine, 36 mdds
Old 02-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #18

I am getting ready to service my Hydraulic System. I could only find (1) 5 gallon pail of Rando HDZ 46 $39.05 locally. They have plenty of Rando HD 46. Can I top it off with Rando 46 HD if I need more than 5 gal? The manual says Vavoline Premium Blue power steering fluid? Not motor oil are they the same?

I have become accustomed to to the Brake feel compared to my 2000 Alpine but less pedal pressure would be nice. Am I pounding my head against the wall trying to find Rando HDZ 46? Should I just drain and fill with the 5 gallons of Rando HDZ 46 I have and top off with any ISO 46 hydraulic oil. Tractor Supply has Mystic ISO 46 hydraulic oil and it is readily available in 2 gallon containers.

I donít know what I am going to find when I open the system. I had it serviced at Cummins NW at 24500. They replaced the (3) filters and between the ISL and Hydraulic system they list 29 quarts of Vavoline oil. So I assume they topped the hydraulic system off with Vavoline motor oil. I am now at 40048 miles. No leaks no mechanical issues I just want to service the system.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:49 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Wayne,

The Premium (HDZ) is different than the HD. The Rando HDZ was used to try and help reduce the brake pedal pressure.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #20

The Valvoline Blue is motor oil, same as used in the Cummins.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #21

Dale,

I think what I will do is change the filters and remove 5 gallons and stop at that point. When I get somewhere where I can get more I will completely purge the system an change the filters again. We are currently in Brownsville and will be here for another month.

Wayne
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 AM   #22

My brakes are also "very hard to depress and stop" in my 34'2008 alpine coach. I also would not let my wife drive it over 25 miles an hour.I am taking my rig into Guarantee in July and am hoping they can do something for the brake problem.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
wayne,

Sounds like a good choice to me. I would not bother with anything other than the premium oil. You will dilute the original oil some. Judging by the color of the oil in my system, when Cummins changed mine with the repairs, they didn't get a complete change. You have a good price there, I paid $59 a gal here in Las Vegas.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hydraulic Steering / Braking Fluid

1. If the change from regular hydraulic fluid to Chevron Rykon Premium 46 fluid is done to lower the viscosity SUS does anyone know if Rykon 32, instead of 46, can be used? 32 is about 30% more viscus than 46 and might improve braking even more. I'll be calling HWH on Monday to see what they say.
  2. Does anyone have the flush and replace interval for the brake fluid in the master cylinder? I only have 40,000 miles but having always been dissatisfied with the brake pedal pressure required and having read about improperly bled systems was wondering if flushing, refilling and bleeding the master cylinder and brake lines might help. I normally associate soft spongy pedal with air in the lines. Wouldn't you find the same on he Alpine?
Harold
2006 36DSMD
being pushed by a
2006 Jeep Liberty Diesel
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Harold,

I would only recommend using the Chevron Rykon Premium 46 oil. I had talked to the engineer at WRV and was informed that they were concerned about using anything other than their original oil due to possible problems with the cooling fan speed. They had come up with this alternative only after much research and testing. This has nothing to do with the HWH system.

You are right about air in the brake fluid, it would cause spongy brakes. The only reason that I can think of for brake fluid to cause the concerns of owners about the high pedal pressure required to stop, would be the thickening of the old brake fluid mentioned by some owners of older coaches.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:23 PM   #26

Harold- If you haven't had brake fluid changed & bled, I'd recommend that right away. You are due.

As to the viscosity, I always thought the higher number corresponded to thicker (more viscous) oil, so 46>32 = 46 mo viscous?
Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Harold- If you haven't had brake fluid changed & bled, I'd recommend that right away. You are due.

Based on what Mike?

As to the viscosity, I always thought the higher number corresponded to thicker (more viscous) oil, so 46>32 = 46 mo viscous?
Mike;

You're right Mike I was using the term viscous incorrectly. Viscous means having a high resistance to flowing. The higher the number the more viscous, thicker (less pourable) the fluid. Rykon 32 is 30% LESS viscous, not more, than Rykon 46.

Just as SAE10 is thinner than SAE40. Saybolt viscosity of Rykon 46 at 100 degrees is 234 while Rykon 32 is 163. 32 is about 30% less viscous than 46 on both the Kinematic and Saybolt specs.

Other than the less viscous (thinner) fluids leaking pass seals, moving parts (like fan impeller, pumps, etc) I don't understand why one wouldn't want to use the thinnest (nice technical terms) fluid available as long as the lubrication, heat rejection, flash point and other properties are as good.

Again, does anyone have a recommended change interval for the master cylinder / brake line fluid?

Harold
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #28

Harold- 06 Owner's Manual says inspect brake fluid for contamination every 10,000 miles & replace if needed.

On the Workhorse chassis owner's forum, where there is a lot of discussion on brakes (they use the Bosch Hydromax & 4 piston calipers very similar to our rigs). Here is a quote posted from their chassis manual: BRAKE FLUID CHANGE
Although there is not a recommend service interval to change the brake fluid listed in your Owner's Manual, the recommendation by a number of the brake manufacturers is every two to three years. If the fluid becomes contaminated, change immediately; Use Delco Supreme No. 11 Hydraulic Brake Fluid (Dot No. 3) or equivalent. New brake fluid is clear with a brown-orange tint. Brake fluid absorbs water and prevents it from settling in lines causing damage. As water is absorbed, the fluid will darken to the point that it appears to be almost black. This would be a good time to change the fluid.

Here is an interesting graph on brake fluid & water absorption over time:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake_fluid_life.gif
Views:	108
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	454