Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I do not believe that there is a "vented or non-vented" radiator caps. They relieve pressure at a pre-determined set point. They are rated in pounds of pressure (like a relief valve) Your system is suppose to be operated under pressure, when hot the cap will relieve coolant to the over flow tank and when the engine cools down it suck the coolant back into the system. If you look at the specs. on a antifreeze jug, the specs. are based on a 16# cap. The higher the pressure the higher the boiling point. If the liquid level in your over flow tank does not go up and down while operating any engine with a over flow tank, something is wrong.......leaks, bad cap, thermostat.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #16

Dave. That is exactly the same as mine. I guess the owner of a Mustang is now missing at least 2 caps. You need to put in 8933.000.866 for the search but I only got one hit.
I replaced mine with NAPA 703-1700.

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #17

Palehorse89, just because you believe something doesn't make it true. Here are the specs for 2 NAPA radiator caps.

Part Number: BK 7031698
Product Line: Balkamp
Attributes: Dimension : 2 21/64" W x 1 13/64" H
Material : Steel
Pressure Rating : 16 lbs
Vented or Non-Vented : Non-Vented
Contents : (1) Cap
Manufacturer : Stant Manufacturing
Manufacturer Part Number : 10230
Style Name : Radiator Cap

Part Number: BK 7031699
Vented or Non-Vented : Vented
Manufacturer Part Number : 10231
Old 05-12-2013, 09:38 AM   #18

Gosh--I wont get into the issue of "vent or not to vent" but personally, I do believe there is such a thing as a "vented" cap. What I also believe is that if the rather sizeable expansion tank provided with the Cummins engine on the Alpine application is not sufficient to capture expanding coolant in an operating engine, you have an underlying mechanical issue. Installing an additional catch bottle with a "vented" cap will treat the symptom but will not address the root cause[s]. Personally, I still believe the majority of coolant spill issues are related to overfilling the expansion tank--again, only check the sight glass when the engine is running at operating temps--IMHO....

PS--if you do install an additional catch bottle and over time it gets too full, you will evetually get a another coolant spill. Just kidding--sorta....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Old Scout, I am just asking a question here, if the cap is vented how does the coolant system build to the proper pressure? If vented the system would never build pressure to obtain a higher boiling point.
My system pushes out approximately 1/2 gallon when hot and when it cools it goes back in.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Palehorse89, just because you believe something doesn't make it true. Here are the specs for 2 NAPA radiator caps.

Part Number: BK 7031698
Vented or Non-Vented : Non-Vented
Manufacturer Part Number : 10230

Part Number: BK 7031699
Vented or Non-Vented : Vented
Manufacturer Part Number : 10231
Hi John, when I say "I believe" what I mean is "I think", Not everything I believe means its true,
be·lieve

/bɪˈliv/ Show Spelled [bih-leev] Show IPA verb, be·lieved, be·liev·ing.
verb (used without object) 1. to have confidence in the truth, the existence, or the reliability of something, although without absolute proof that one is right in doing so: Only if one believes in something can one act purposefully.

So now John you copy and pasted the specs. from napa, can you explain the difference between the two caps?
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #21

PH--I see your point but am convinced most modern caps are designed to allow coolant to return from an overflow bottle [an expansion tank if you will] once the engine has cooled. Have to assume its a very small vent or a one-way valve that allows coolant to return but not be leaked during normal ops. Short of a physical inspection of the differences between vented and non-vented caps, I am only guessing. "Assuming" this is all true, it probably shouldn't matter if you install a vented cap on your Alpine expansion tank but it will matter if you install a non-vented cap with an overflow bottle application. However, none of this matters if you continue to "overfill" the coolant in your engine.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
A radiator cap with a pressure rating will expel coolant at a set pressure now when it cools another part of the cap allows the coolant to flow back into the system. as far as the vented vs non vented: Radiator Cap & Reservoir Caps - CONSUMER PRODUCTS - Stant

PS I liked reading your last post Old Scout as you made sure not to say "I believe" as you described your post.
I have always been carful using the word "assume" as taught to me by a old timer a long time ago
Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #23

Read post #10. If you read the specs for the 2 caps you will see they are identical except one is "vented" the other is "non-vented". Personally I don't see the point in buying a non-vented cap even if you don't use a coolant recovery tank.
Old Scout, I think the reason for the overflowing tank is overfilling it because the sight glass is unreliable. It is much easier to keep an eye on the coolant level in a transparent recovery tank.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #24

If the addition of an overflow coolant bottle provides added "peace of mind," for someone, by all means go for it. Beyond speculating on the internal workings of a "vented" cap, my interest here was to advocate the proper use of the OEM expansion tank and sight glass provided by WRV. I agree, the sight glass can be hard to read/interpret if you attempt to read it cold. The advantage to viewing the sight glass at engine ops temps is not only to validate proper coolant level, it also gives an indicator of coolant condition, eg, significant bubbles/foam in the sight glass during engine ops may indicate a deterioration of the coolant.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #25

The addition of the overflow tank modifies the OEM design (slightly). WRV installed a single sight glass in the expansion tank. Perfection would be to install coolant to the sight glass level, and have the amount of unfilled tank above it perfectly equal to the amount of expansion while driving. However, there are two issues.

First, different driving conditions, and different aging conditions of the motor/radiator system lead to differing expansions from rig to rig. Second, more than a few owners have misread the single sight glass as containing coolant when it only had some residual coolant clinging to the glass, while the true coolant level was in fact several gallons low.

A better design would be a two sight glass setup where you could see an obvious difference between the lower genuinely full sight, and the upper that had no or a bit of coolant in it. Now you know the level is between the two. Since its not easy to add the missing lower sight glass, you can add the overflow tank and make it a new "upper" sight. It can be dead empty, but if the tank sight is obviously full then you are good to go. This is a check you can do cold.

Alternatively, you can leave the design unmodified, & check the OEM single sight glass after firing up the engine and letting it warm up (usually take a short drive), to see that the sight is obviously full or else top off coolant. That appears to be the optimal owner's response to the OEM design to assure proper coolant level. If you'd rather check coolant level cold before heading out, the overflow tank addition makes that easy & bulletproof.

FWIW, Vented caps have the word Vented stamped into the lid. Non-vented may or may not say Non-Vented. I'm guessing the stamp was an ASE standard installed at the time that recovery tanks became popular for new rigs.

Tags
tank