Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Reservoir tank cap

Can anyone tell me what psi rate is used on the ISC 350.There is nothing stated on the cap .

2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

From previous discussions on this it could be either 8,10,14 or 16psi. Might want to read all the threads on this.

Algoma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I just replaced my radiator cap with a 16 lb, Napa Balkamp # 703-1701
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

I used the wrong wording in my thread search. Looks like 16# vented cap. Thanks for the Napa Balkamp part number Dave.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #5

I have the ISL 400, and used the NAPA 703-1698 16 psi cap, based on matching them up at the store last year. It appears to be the same application as the one Dave used, but without the safety pressure release lever. My old cap didn't have one.

I also didn't find a rating on the old cap. But it definitely fixed my coolant loss problem. Cheap to replace.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I have the ISL 400, and used the NAPA 703-1698 16 psi cap, based on matching them up at the store last year. It appears to be the same application as the one Dave used, but without the safety pressure release lever. My old cap didn't have one.

I also didn't find a rating on the old cap. But it definitely fixed my coolant loss problem. Cheap to replace.
I mounted a recovery tank last year and forgot to replace the radiator cap.After doing a thread search, I still was not quite sure which cap I should get. After reading what others have had used I feel a 16# cap will be fine.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #7

I have the 400 hp. It came with a 8lb cap. I found small amounts of coolant on the ground at every stop. I decide the cap was allowing presure and steam escape resulting in low coolant levels. I changed it to a 16lb cap. Problem solved. I was concerned about splitting the radiator but after 4 years, no problems.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:18 AM   #8

Tiredvet, don't forget you need a "vented" cap when you use a recovery tank. The one referenced in your post is "non-vented". Might want to try 703-1699 instead.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #9

OK--always willing to learn something new. I know about caps with built in pressure release levers but was not aware of the differences between a "vented" vs "non-vented" cap? Most newer automotive application use a recovery system to capture/return coolant [WRV didnt--well not exactly]. Always figured that all caps allowed coolant to escape if their pressure setting was exceeded. Arguably, it been a bit of a mystery to me as to how the excess coolant from the overflow bottle is drawn back thru the cap [some sort of one-way valve?] into the radiator once the engine has cooled. Perhaps this is the "vent" being referred to.

Anyway, my original point was that if you use the sight glass correctly and only check/add coolant when the engine is at ops temp and running, the existing "expansion" tank has sufficient capacity to handle "excess" coolant. As a side bar, I wonder if WRV went to a lower 8 lbs pressure cap to "accommodate" the new radiator design in later models that have proven to so unreliable--probably something for EM to comment on.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #10

Here is an explanation.
"Most caps these days are "vented" to a recirculating tank. This means that they have a one-way valve on the bottom of the plunger that closes when there is pressure in the radiator and opens when there is a vacuum in there. In the case of a 16# cap, when the pressure in the rad goes over 16#, it pushes the plunger up and releases the pressure into the little tube sticking out the side of the cap holder. Any steam/water under pressure blows out this little tube. If you have a hose between the little tube and the recirculating tank the steam and water go into the tank (it usually enters from the bottom and is vented at the top). When everything cools down, the radiator now has a vacuum in there and the little one-way valve on a "vented" cap opens and permits the liquid held in the recirculating tank to return into the radiator, because the vacuum from the cooled-down rad now sucks the water from the bottom of the recirculating tank back into the radiator. Old sytle rad caps don't have that little one-way valve in there."
All the Stat Lev-R-Vent caps are "vented" and are available in 8, 12 and 16 psi sizes.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #11

I've seen different pressure caps on surge tanks at rallies, and vented & non-vented, all of which I believe to be OEM caps. My further belief is that WRV put a cap on each tank, and grabbed the one that was closest. There may have been a spec in the design, but I think whoever was in charge of QC forgot to follow up on that.

Fortunately, this doesn't appear to be a spec on which catastrophic failures turn.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #12

Finally got around to check my cap; the coach has been in storage since we got back from Florida in March. Appears I still have the original which is a 14 psi vented cap from a 1970's Ford Mustang. I know because it has the Ford part number on it. Maybe I should get a new one and post this on Ebay for some car restorer.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #13

John- I'm sure it was winter in Yakima, they were short one surge tank cap to get your chassis out the door & over to the coach shop. They figured, hey, Ron won't miss his Mustang radiator cap for a couple months at these temps, right?

Oh wait, Ron drove a Beemer. Who had the Mustang?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #14

I recently replaced the original cap on my 1999 Alpine Coach. The old one was a 14 psi vented cap. It has a number 8933-000-866 but no other id. I did a Google search, but came up with no match.

Tags
tank