Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Residential frig in 2002 Alpine

Has anyone put a residential frig in a 2002 or so Alpine. I looked at the door swing available when the slide is in and it seems to me that is going to be a problem. We have the 2-door Dometic (NDR1292).

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Barb, I can tell you that in our 2003 that came from WRV with an Amana frig works ok but the right hand door will hit the finish wood trim on the rear wall of the living room slide-out. I can get the door all the way open but it does hit the trim. We can get the door open far enough to gain adequate access to the contents. Hope that helps.

bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Barbara & Dave; Donna and I recently had the Dometic Refrigerator replaced with a residential GE Refrigerator. We were only able to have a 17 cu. ft. refrigerator/freezer because the furnace for the 2001 Alpine was installed inside the Coach and below the Dometic Refrigerator. There was limited space above the furnace for the residential refrigerator. We have a small problem with opening the doors on the refrigerator/freezer, and that’s because of the design of the Alpine. The doors only open to about 85 when it hits the wall in the doorway to the bathroom area. The refrigerator/freezer could not be move any further forward because of plumping and wiring also located in that area.

If your 2002 has the furnace in the bay area you should have plenty of room for a larger residential refrigerator.

I have included a link to a previous POST which contains the photos of the final installation of the refrigerator by Amazing Creations in Oregon. If you have room for a side by side refrigerator/freezer this would give more room for the doors to open.
Fabulous Interior Coach Work Post #8

Good luck on what you decide and let us know.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I believe that somewhere around 2002 or 2003 there was a verticle pull out pantry next to the camping type frig whereas the residential frig abandons that pantry. If yours has a pantry next to the frig be sure to take it into account when planning a frig swap.

One advantage you'll have after a swap is having an access/ventilation door on the outside of the coach. If you have a water line or pump problem as we did you'll have direct access whereas we had to pull the frig out to solve the problem.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
I believe that somewhere around 2002 or 2003 there was a verticle pull out pantry next to the camping type frig whereas the residential frig abandons that pantry. If yours has a pantry next to the frig be sure to take it into account when planning a frig swap.

One advantage you'll have after a swap is having an access/ventilation door on the outside of the coach. If you have a water line or pump problem as we did you'll have direct access whereas we had to pull the frig out to solve the problem.
That was standard from the start with the '98 model. If you had the top freezer Dometic you got the pull out pantry. You lost the pantry if you opted for the side by side refrigerator. Barbaraok has the side by side so does not have the pantry.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
In our 07, if the Kitchen/LR Slide is in, it clears that, but the right hand door does run into the sliding door (between rear and front of coach), if it's closed. However, I will personally never own another RV WITHOUT a residential fridge. It's a tossup on the Hydro Hot, but the fridge is a must.

Now, with that said, I'm sure that when WRV built units with the residential unit, they took into account the aforementioned problems and had worked around several of those concerns.

Moving the furnace to the basement, might be possible, then you have that space, but a word of caution, make sure the propane lines are just capped off in the basement, not removed when changing out the fridge out. You may want to run an external grill and that is a great place to get the quick disconnect fitting to mount.

It would be easier in the long run, not necessarily cheaper to find a unit that is already set up with the Residential Fridge, ours may go up for sale this summer, it has one.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
We don't have the pantry, I guess I should have been more explicit in that we have the side-by-side Dometic. And it sits above the air intake for the furnace. Dave how much of an opening do you have when the slide is in? We often don't put out the front slide when just stopping for a day or two.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #8

Depending on how much boon-docking you do, you may need to upgrade you battery bank. We have had a resid frig in our 03 since day one and it has worked fine but you may want to consider 6-6volt bats [vs the std 4] if you think you will be "off the grid" for any length of time. In general, most modern frigs dont use a lot of power but some have an internal de-frost cycle that can be a power-hog.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Barbara & Dave to answer your question since we have a 38 foot Alpine the kitchen is located on Passenger Side and the refrigerator is located next to the pocket door for the bathroom. It makes no difference in space for the Refrigerator door as when it opens the arc clears the Main Slide with no problem. The doors hit the wall which is alongside of the shower. The wall was installed so the pocket door could close off the bathroom.

I did increase the number of coach batteries to 6, about 4 years before we had the Refrigerator installed.

I hope this answers some if your questions.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #10

Dave, what is the make and model of your refrigerator?
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hello John & Mary; We found a GE Top Mount Freezer with Ice maker, Stainless which the DW liked, and the size needed. Amazing Creations provided the dimensions that would fit into our coach, and we were able to find the Refrigerator. The Model number is GTK17JCD.