Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hello All, Hope for those of you at rally you are well, happy, terrific.

Please provide some Residential Refrigerator operation tips to us folks with this unit. I have always had the standard RV type in the past, and don't know what I need to know to pre start – driving with it off, etc. How soon before your leaving is it a good idea to turn it on and let it get cold? How long will it stay cold, driving down the road, not running? How well does your stuff stay upright-in place when driving and what tips can you offer to a newbie coach owner with one of these units?

Thank you for all the past and future help!!!!!
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello All, Hope for those of you at rally you are well, happy, terrific.

Please provide some Residential Refrigerator operation tips to us folks with this unit. I have always had the standard RV type in the past, and don't know what I need to know to pre start – driving with it off, etc. How soon before your leaving is it a good idea to turn it on and let it get cold? How long will it stay cold, driving down the road, not running? How well does your stuff stay upright-in place when driving and what tips can you offer to a newbie coach owner with one of these units?

Thank you for all the past and future help!!!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
We have the res. fridge

I am plugged in at home when the RV is parked. I leave my inverter on all the time and leave the fridge running. Then when I unplug to hit the road, everything is already on.

This is my second all electric coach and this system seems to work fine. When you unplug from shorepower everything automatically switches to the inverter.

Be sure not to leave the Aqua Hot on electric if you are dry camping.

I hope this helps. If you want to talk to me, send me your e mail address and I will provide my phone number to you.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:57 AM   #4

When the coach is at home I run an extension cord directly to the fridge leaving everything else in the coach off.

JIm
06 Apex
midflajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for the answers. Hmmm, can I turn off the water supply to the unit, we don't need ice, and don't drink cold water, there must be a valve, guess I will find it tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #6

Why don't you just disconnect the water hose and turn off the water pump in the motorhome.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #7

On the older coaches, mine is an 01, the inline ice cube water line shut off is in the black/grey tank bay - not easy to get to as have to unbolt the bay door.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:09 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Jim and Sally, that was cute. Let me try again! We don't use ice for our water; teeth are way too cold sensitive. So we don't like ice water/cold water. I usually just warm it in microwave for a little bit. Dentist cannot explain extreme cold sensitivity. I do drink water, in fact lots of it.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We store our coach away from the house, so I get it the day before and plug it in, by next morning we are good to go, with he freezer plenty cold. I got the fridge bars at Camping World, once we load up the fridge I push everything back as far a possible to hold everything in place. I learned the hard way, on a hard turn the door can pop open, and even if it does not, everything can slide around while driving and fall off the shelves when you open the door. So I formed a U bracket that I place over the top of the doors, that way they do not pop open and the fridge bars keep everything in place. Last time I was at WRV, they had a bracket and gave me 2. One suggestion I have, get the maintenance contract from Amana. About 4 months ago the compressor failed, and while there is a 5 year warranty on the sealed unit from Amana the extended warranty covered everything including the food that spoiled. Contract was $100 a year, parts alone would have been $800, much less the labor, 4 hours worth, sure was glad I had the contract.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Also the fridge is bolted in with 4 bolts from the basement, mine has Torx 40 bolts. Another thing, watch the ice maker tubing, I did not and the first time I drove it, I found out I had placed the fridge on the tubing and it cracked, spraying water all over. Luckily on my coach the holes for the bolts drained into the compartment with the black and gray water tanks and then on the ground. Messy, but not too bad. I attached the tubing to the wall, so now it can't get caught.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #11

Dave, Could you possibly post a picture of the bracket that they gave you. I have been using Velcro and a bungee ball cord.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #12

I have had good success using adjustable spring loaded curtin rods that are designed to fit between window casings. You can find them at Wal-Mart. I have also used Velcro with good success around the door handle. Use a short piece of either mating surface and stick the adhesive together.

The inverter does not power the electric heating element for the Hydro-Hot, at least in my 2005.

I also had a compressor fail within the normal 5 year warranty and it was replaced at no cost. The appliance repairman replaced it in the coach. The fridge will not fit through the front door and will have to go out through the window. Not good.

I think I remember seeing the ice maker/cold water supply cutoff in the utility bay and it was easy to get to. The cover panel is held in place with Velcro on my '05.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Louie & Linda
Wil is correct. The ice maker cut-off valve is now in the utility bay behind the center panel that is attached with velcro. Another way to cut the ice making is th raise the arm on hte ice maker. I do this when traveling to keep the ice maker from cycling and filling the tray with water. It tends to make a solid block in the ice tray.
Louie & Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wil Rathke:
The appliance repairman replaced it in the coach. The fridge will not fit through the front door and will have to go out through the window. Not good.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When we installed them at the factory we did it before the slides were installed. I know its cheating but much easier

WRVACEMP is offline   Reply With Quote