Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #1

While the residential refrigerator has went bad. The compressor is not starting. I can here the start relay click on and it buzzes for about 7 seconds and then clicks off. This happens about every five minutes. I am going to go get a small apartment refrigerator to put our food in while I try to get this thing fixed. I dread the thought of trying to remove and replace it.

I will start by unbolting it and gaining access to the compressor area. This should take most of the day along with going to get a small refer. While I am gaining access Kathy will try to line a repairman up to fix this thing.

Any suggestions on how or where to get this fixed would be appreciated. I am currently in Brownsville TX.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 PM   #2

While the residential refrigerator has went bad. The compressor is not starting. I can here the start relay click on and it buzzes for about 7 seconds and then clicks off. This happens about every five minutes. I am going to go get a small apartment refrigerator to put our food in while I try to get this thing fixed. I dread the thought of trying to remove and replace it.

I will start by unbolting it and gaining access to the compressor area. This should take most of the day along with going to get a small refer. While I am gaining access Kathy will try to line a repairman up to fix this thing.

Any suggestions on how or where to get this fixed would be appreciated. I am currently in Brownsville TX.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:09 AM   #3

Update,

I am impressed, after unbolting the refer from below it just easily rolled out. The floor between the tile and refer location has been leveled with the tile to allow easily rolling the refer out. Good Job WRV!

I have ordered a replacement overload relay with capacitor in the hopes it will be a cheap fix.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:13 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Wayne:

Sorry to hear about the bad compressor in the Frig. Residential refrigerators should have a five year warranty on the compressor. I would call the manufacture about the problem and see if they recommend a factory authorized service dealer in your area to come to you and replace the compressor. They should cover everything under warranty although I not sure if it is in a Motorhome.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:20 AM   #5

Thanks Dave,

I will give them a call; the 2nd through 5th year is parts only. I didn't want to call anyone until I knew how to gain access to it. I can't see paying a technician for grunt work.

The compressor list for $305 well worth the call.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #6

The Res frig in our 2003 went out two years ago--turned out to be a small freon leak in the low pressure side. I busted the Amana warranty by having an uncert repair guy touch it. Good news is that he installed a schraeder valve so once a year or so I give it 8-10 seconds of freon from a automotive kit and a can of 123a you can get at Wal-Mart...I also leave the frig run 24-7-365....I'll have to replace eventually (think it will fit thru mid-door} but for now--I have a fix that seems to work....hope your issue is a switch and not the compressor.....dean
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 10:02 AM   #7

The Amana in our 2005 failed last year after about 1 year of service. I called a local Amana appliance repairman who determined that the compresser was frozen and needed to be replaced. The method of removing it to take it to the appliance shop was to take it out through a window which would require a fork lift and lots of muscle. The repairman elected to cover the floor under the fridge to prevent his torch from damaging the floor with hot solder. He did this very carefully and all work was under warranty.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #8

Wil,

The repair tech will be here tomorrow and hopefully I can get him to replace the compressor in the MH.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 AM   #9

Something to consider when deciding on a residential refrigerator. So far we have heard of 3 instances of compressor issues on relatively new coaches. I got this info on a web page about refrigerators.

"Inside the compressor body the working mechanism is suspended on springs. The purpose of these springs is to dampen vibrations and reduce the amount of noise level output by the compressor. When the compressor operates these springs absorb heat as well as vibrations. The longer they have worked the more tempered or work hardened they tend to become.
These same springs may be all right as long as the fridge sits in the same place, but when loaded on the back of a truck and driven down the road, they can stretch, compress, or break resulting in very noisy operation once you've reached your destination. The only resolve to this problem of course is compressor replacement. By the way, this is the same reason new compressors and refrigerators can be shipped almost anywhere with little or no danger of spring problems, the springs are not yet work hardened.
An older fridge may easily survive a move across town, especially if the rough road route is avoided or taken very slowly, but if you are moving across the country, consider selling it and purchasing another once you get there."
Old 03-26-2007, 06:25 PM   #10

Yet many bus conversions have residential fridges installed and they work for years with no problem... could it be that buses have a better suspension?? I think so but then I'm biased!

Most likely the compressors are failing for the reason the compressor on our freezer at home failed (low voltage). We bought the freezer used... used it about 3 yrs in SC then stored it for over a year before moving it from SC to TN. Used it about 3 more years. Repairman replaced something in the compressor (told us it was most likely the low voltage in the area) it ran a few more years. We moved the freezer from TN to NC and stuck it in storage for a few months. Hauled it out of storage and it's sitting on the front porch full of frozen food (been like that for 2 years now). So I don't think bouncing it from state to state has harmed the compressor. And it was down rough roads and hauled up and down stairs.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #11

Lorna

Where would it be getting low voltage? All the electrical is protected by a Surge Guard and an inverter that kicks in with in milli seconds if power is lost. The Surge Guard cuts shore or generator power if it sees high or low voltage and will not reapply until it is with in parameters. Clock on the micro wave does not even go out if shore power is lost.

The article I quoted was in regards to moving a refrigerator. If that amount of movement can cause problems then going down the road in a MH can not be good. Add that to the fact the Maytag repairman that replaced my compressor said the Amana is notorious for eating compressors. Next time you are around a compressor lightly shake it and see how easy it is to bang the motor against the housing.

I have moved many refrigerators and not had a problem I have probably just been lucky. In fact this is the first compressor of mine that has failed. According to the article by the Refrigerator doctor it is an issue.

It is my understanding the only serviceable parts on a modern compressor is the start relay and capacitor along with the oil and Freon.

PS: The Alpine rides quite well thank you.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:54 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I think you'll find that the biggest effect on the fridge's longevity is the inverter. Most RV inverters are of the modified sine wave variety. This waveform is not very good for electronics or things like fridge nmotors. For more information on this check out the Modified Sine Wave versus True Sine Wave tutorial in the RV Tech Library.

My 2007 Allegro Bus came with a residential refrigerator. It's a 22 cu ft Amana side by side with the ice and water dispenser in the door. Tiffin had a big problem when this option came out in the 2007 model year. The issue was that the electronic control panel for the water and ice dispenser would smoke and sometimes even shoot sparks out after a few hours of running on the inverter. They have since removed the fridge's power supply from the Xantrex RV3012 modified sine wave inverter and added a small 1KW true sine wave inverter dedicated to the refrigerator and now all is well. I have no doubt that they would have compressor issues as well eventually had the dispenser worked okay.

On my coach I replaced the RV3012 with a Xantrex RS3000 true sine wave inverter (I got mine before they figured out the 1KW solution ) as soon as I got it home (details at This Site Link ) and haven't had any problem. However, after driving only 1 hour on the way home from the dealer, the panel was already getting hot and the light was flickering so I fired up the genset and everything cooled off.

I strongly believe that any residential fridge setup should have a true sine wave inverter powering it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 AM   #13

Cruzer
The Alpine comes with a RS2000 and no problems with the ice maker control board in 2 1/2 years. The 22 CU ft Amana seems to be the refer of choice for several RV manufacturers. Only time will tell if bouncing around in a MH causes compressor failure or not. It takes time for the springs to work harden so I doubt we will see the problem in the first 5 years and most of us wont own our coaches past then. My problem definitely was not caused by spring failure

As a side note, I am waiting for the 2nd compressor. The first one failed in 4 hours and I was hooked to shore power the whole time and voltage was good at 120.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
A couple of other possibilities. Many years ago I needed to lay a used refer down in order to truck it home. The store's long-time refer repairman told me that after getting it home and standing it up-- to wait at least a day before turning it on-- as the inevitable foreign particles in the refer fluid should be allowed to settle to the bottom. How that idea can be reconciled with the many refers being driven around the country while running, on good springs or poor springs, is beyond me.

Since the voltage required to start-up the compressor is much greater than the voltage needed to keep it running-- I suppose available voltage at start-up could be a factor in affecting compressor life-- whether modified or pure sine wave.