Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #15

Hi Gary,

I was in the group that looked after the mothballed ships in Bremerton from '65 to '66 and had Mo then. My son was born exactly 20 years after Japan's surrender on Mo and I had him on the Q'deck on his 1st birthday. He doesn't remember that but I sure do. Just standing there brought chills up my back and the history/significance was palpable.

Ahhh, fresh water. A rarity even on the GUPPY types I was on. It was mostly used for the batteries and we mere mortals got only a little of what was left for such things as brushing our teeth. Even fresh air was a rarity and only available on the surface or by Snorkeling (along with those horrible vacuums those big diesels pulled). Freeze your D*** off on a northern run or sweat n***s off in the Caribbean. And all the while drinking "Bug-juice".

There's a reason they were called "Pig Boats" but I truly loved the duty.

The Navy was pretty good at weeding out the misfits before they rode the boats and the crew took care of those that got past the screening process. "Don't ask, don't tell" wasn't even a concept then and it wouldn't have mattered had it been. They wouldn't be around long enough to get qualified. "Rocks & Shoals", prohibited elsewhere, could still be found in "Hogan's Alley".

"Steel boats and Iron Men" - DBF
It was a better time.

Take care and God bless, for we are one.

Bob (SS)

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Gentlemen FYI:

The MO did not go to Nam in the 60ís, It was the New Jersey.

When I got to Sub School was weeded out because of my eyes. I ended up in Bremerton in Feb of 70 on the USS Detroit AOE 4 and was part of the Commissioning crew. All 4 Iowa Battlewagons, The Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri and New Jersey were at Bremerton Moth Balled while I was there.

I also have a friend who a Canon Cocker (Gunners Mate) on the New Jersey while it was Nam.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 AM   #17

Dave is correct. Mo saw a little action during Desert Storm in 1991 but was mothballed from 1955 to 1984 when she was modernized.

I got out in 1966 and didn't keep track of Mo's activities after that.

However, I was once told that when Mo fired all 9 of her 16-inchers in a single level broadside salvo, the Mo would be pushed sideways about 100 feet (or was it yards?). Regardless, a very big projectile pushed by 3 bags of propellant would get your attention.

Big Mo's size is impressive but those guns are something to behold.

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote