Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #1

Right front airbag constantly discharging

I recently parked my MH on a slight grade. I then noticed the right front airbag was constantly discharging air thru a 1/4" hose on the side. At first I thought maybe it was trying to level itself but have since decided that was just wishful thinking. Can somebody enlighten me on this situation? It's a 2000 36FDDS
Thanks for any help

Jerry
Oregon Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #2

Sounds like either the RIDE HEIGHT VALVE is way mis-adjusted, or has failed.

I would start by checking ride height, then if in spec, replace the right front ride height valve.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Either the leveling valve or the dump valve--could be some debris or the valve itself may have failed. Less likely is that a hose may have split or become disconnected. Leveling valve is controlled mechanically, the dump valve is controlled by 12v signal from the HWH system....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bum View Post
I recently parked my MH on a slight grade. I then noticed the right front airbag was constantly discharging air thru a 1/4" hose on the side. At first I thought maybe it was trying to level itself but have since decided that was just wishful thinking. Can somebody enlighten me on this situation? It's a 2000 36FDDS
Thanks for any help

Jerry

Jerry,

If your unit is like my 2006 34FDDS each suspension arm is connected to a three way valve which has three lines going into it. One line is the high pressure supply from your tank/compressor, one is the feed line going to the air bag, and the last line goes to atmosphere(6 inches long going to nothing).

First make sure you have air in your tank by running your motor for a few minutes.

Take the tie rod (about 10 inches long with a rubber grommet in it) off the post which is on the end of the three way valve arm, and move this arm up and down. When you do this you should have the following three reactions:

1. bar all the way up. you should hear air going into the air bag.

2. bar in the middle area. no air movement at all. If you hear anything now the valve is compromised or you have a leak between the valve and the air bag, or the air bag itself. Find the leak and fix it. IE valve, line, fitting, air bag.

3. bar all the way gown. you should hear air exhausting out of the air bag through the tube going to atmosphere. This assumes you had air in the air bag to start with.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #5

When I first bought my coach and not familiar with how the air work, I too became concerned when stopped on an uneven surface and heard the sound of air dumping. If you haven't, park on an even level surface and do a walk around. On level ground the valves will be in neutral position and there should be no air sound. If there is, then Parkereng's advice will come in handy.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #6

First off I want to thank you guys for the help. What a great forum.
Sorry it took me to reply to your posts. I tried Parkereng's advice by removing the tie rod from the control valve arm and moving the arm up and down, the first time I raised it the discharge stopped and when I brought it back to mid position it started again, the next time it didn't completely stop when I raised it. I couldn't hear it filling the bag but it looked like the bag was raising. I decided to get some boards to raise the tire and crank the wheels all the way left to gain better access. That's when I found out my left rear jack wasn't coming up. It has caused me some trouble in the past. I sprayed some
Strike Hold on it and managed to pry it up. I cycled it a couple times and now it works better than the RR jack. Back to the front of the bus, I cranked the wheels to the left and pulled up on 3 2x10's. It came up to full pressure and no air leak. I cycled the airbags up and down three times and no more leak. It sounds like my experience is just like AKOne's. If you park with one wheel in a hole it might cause a constant discharge.
I've only had this coach for about 6 weeks so every time I go near it I have a new learning experience. I'm also hopeful that Strike Hold is the answer to my jack problem.
They claim it isn't harmful to rubber. I guess the worst that can happen is I'll have to rebuild the jack.
Thanks again for the help
Old 08-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #7

Jerry, know exactly what you are talking about. It has taken more than a few trips to become familiar with the sound characteristics of the coach. Also my jacks, from sitting idle for so long, did not work very well at first - slow and sticky. Now with use, they function just fine. If for some reason the entire HWH system stops working or the control panel lights give you some kind of crazy light show, and you have the controls in slide drawer, the likely culprit is the wire connecter that plugs into the back of the control panel behind the drawer. Remove the drawer and reset (unplug and plug back in) the connector and your will be good to go. Happened to me and the Alpine folks here came to the rescue. Enjoy that new coach!
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:02 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
First off I want to thank you guys for the help. What a great forum.
Sorry it took me to reply to your posts. I tried Parkereng's advice by removing the tie rod from the control valve arm and moving the arm up and down, the first time I raised it the discharge stopped and when I brought it back to mid position it started again, the next time it didn't completely stop when I raised it. I couldn't hear it filling the bag but it looked like the bag was raising. I decided to get some boards to raise the tire and crank the wheels all the way left to gain better access. That's when I found out my left rear jack wasn't coming up. It has caused me some trouble in the past. I sprayed some
Strike Hold on it and managed to pry it up. I cycled it a couple times and now it works better than the RR jack. Back to the front of the bus, I cranked the wheels to the left and pulled up on 3 2x10's. It came up to full pressure and no air leak. I cycled the airbags up and down three times and no more leak. It sounds like my experience is just like AKOne's. If you park with one wheel in a hole it might cause a constant discharge.
I've only had this coach for about 6 weeks so every time I go near it I have a new learning experience. I'm also hopeful that Strike Hold is the answer to my jack problem.
They claim it isn't harmful to rubber. I guess the worst that can happen is I'll have to rebuild the jack.
Thanks again for the help

Welcome to Alpine ownership👍. Per HWH you should only use WD-40 or HWH hydraulic fluid to lubricate the jack shafts, other product could damage the seals. Do a search here on the Alpine forum you will find many threads on the subject. There also are several threads that discuss the wiring to the HWH switch mounted in the dash drawer, WRV is known for building it with short wire that break after usage (I know because it happened to me), giving you varying symptoms.

You will find the search tool one of the most valuable features on this site as well as the stickies above. The ACA tech library holds much of the documentation that normally would have resided with the manufacturer, check it out (you should also join ACA and possibly the Washington/Oregon chapter, it helps support things like the tech library). If after checking the tech library and searching prior threads, you do not find an answer, post your question here, there are a lot of Alpine owners that have probably seen the issue, but most of the time you will find it already has an answer posted so you have a solution much faster than waiting for a response.

Enjoy your new to you coach and you time here on IRV2. My wife calls this forum my "invisible friends".
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #9

I have already been doing a lot of research on this forum and to a lesser extent the ACA tech library. I haven't had a lot of success with the search tool on this forum, I can't search at all with my tablet and so far when I try to search with my laptop it doesn't seem to narrow the field much.I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, over the years I've developed a pretty strong case of CRS so just about everything I do is a bit of a struggle. I had seen the threads about lubing the jack shafts but decided to try the Strike Hold anyway since I already had it.
Right now I am trying to figure out how to get the covers off around the console without damaging them I want to get at the wiring so I can finish wiring my new headlights.does anybody know where I can find a good schematic for this coach? I need to find a good place to wire the Halos and leds for park lights.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Dave,
I plan on joining the ACA and the local chapter I just wish i didn't have to join FMCA to do it I was in FMCA a few years ago, even attended a couple rallys in Redmond but wasn't too wild about the organization.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
I have already been doing a lot of research on this forum and to a lesser extent the ACA tech library. I haven't had a lot of success with the search tool on this forum, I can't search at all with my tablet and so far when I try to search with my laptop it doesn't seem to narrow the field much.I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, over the years I've developed a pretty strong case of CRS so just about everything I do is a bit of a struggle. I had seen the threads about lubing the jack shafts but decided to try the Strike Hold anyway since I already had it.
Right now I am trying to figure out how to get the covers off around the console without damaging them I want to get at the wiring so I can finish wiring my new headlights.does anybody know where I can find a good schematic for this coach? I need to find a good place to wire the Halos and leds for park lights.

Jerry, for a 2000 coach there are a LOT of drawings (1997 - 2003) in the tech library, at that point WRV was still doing point to point wiring, thus a lot of paper that you will need to get familiar with so you can find what you are looking for. Starting in 2004 WRV went to the Vansco data bus system, it removed a lot of weight and complexity from the coach, however inserted its own set of issues.

I agree, the search function does not work on a tablet, at least not my iPad. Use you PC/laptop when you need to search the forum.

What console covers are you trying to remove?
Old 08-21-2016, 11:38 PM   #12

I guess I have gotten off topic but SC Alpiner posted a pic of the wiring changes he made when installing his new headlights. I assume that wiring is somewhere under the dash.
It looked like a good place to look for the lighting wiring.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:43 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Right front airbag constantly discharging

I will let scalpiner respond to more accurately address your issue, but all the wiring changes should have been done at the lights with the generator slide extended. Is that what you mean by console covers? That area looks like this on a 2005 with one brand (there are several different brands on the market, so yours may be different) of angel eyes installed. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1471862475.463133.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	136729

Tags
charging