Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Road King shocks on a 34 foot Alpine coach?

Hi all!

I upgraded from Bilsteins to the Koni shocks a little over a year ago and I'm not as impressed as I thought I would be, after reading all the good reviews of the Koni shocks.

Living in California, where our roads are going to pot(holes), I'd like to get a better ride. We've got friends with the Road Kings on a 36 footer (hi Jim!) and they are very happy. But, the 34 and 36 foot coaches have a different wheelbase and I wonder how much "wheelbase" plays into the level of comfort.

So, have any of you 34 foot owners tried out the Road Kings and what do you think about them? Many thanks!

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #2

Man, I don't think anything can help today's California Roads.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I replaced my Koni's with Roadkings. I like the Roadkings better. Have driven about 3000 miles. The Bilsteins were replaced by Koni's at 7000 miles. The Koni's were good for maybe 20,000 miles. We will see how long the Roadkings last.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #4

Mike, everyone I know who has RKs swears by them--of course, if I had $400+ per shock invested, I'd be swearing too [smile]. Suspect there is some incremental improvement with the RKs, even with your shorter coach. Satisfaction with the increased performance vs the cost is harder to gauge.....Given Koni's lifetime guaranty--I have resigned myself to putting on new shocks every 3-4 years at shipping cost.
PS -- Check the forum--Koni is supposed to be coming out with some "RK-like" or "light" shocks[$275 range] for the fronts in Jan 15.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:17 AM   #5

Give Source Engineering in Eugene Or. a call. 541-343-0293
Old 10-11-2014, 09:40 AM   #6

Just so you know, after my recent trip my opinion has not changed! Money well spent.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Ride Control plus Koni works on our 34

At 20K miles on the original shocks, the coach rode smoothly but recovery from dips was not good. Lived with it until about 40K, then installed Koni's and SuperSteer's ride control snubbers. The result was good enough for us, but the total cost was nearly as great as four RK's would have been. You pays your money and takes your choice, I guess.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Greetings All!

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it.

GMD: That is the crux of my problem-bad roads, and not JUST in CA!

Jim and Sandy: How are the roads back East? I haven't been driving back there since the 80's? Do you grumble as much about your bumpy roads as we do in CA?

Old Scout: I saw the post a couple days ago about the "new in January" Koni's and I'll be interested in hearing what people say about them after awhile. When you mention new shocks for the cost of shipping, how do you know that when Koni inspects the old ones that they'll agree with you that they need to be replaced under the lifetime warranty?

MKelley: Please tell me more about Source Engineering and why you suggest I call them. Do they have a great price on the Road King's? Their website (Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR) sounds like they've got a bunch of goodies that they say will give you a better ride. Have you tried any of their products and got any "before and after" comments about them?

Jim A: Hi Jim...I knew you'd say that!! <grin>

Frank and Dessa: I bought a pair of those Henderson ride control snubbers (that is the little gizmo that fits in the airline to the air ride shock, right?) I asked Henderson's whether they suggested mounting in the front or rear for only one pair and followed their recommendation, whatever that was I can't remember right now. At this point, I'm starting to put items on my "wish list" for the Pomona FMCA Convention in 2015 and I'm thinking strongly about the Road Kings.

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Mike & Mike, While we were at the Redmond show I had Redlands Truck install the Source Engineering ride Comfort Control Valves. THEY WORK! We drove from the show to Seattle and then back home to Cape Cod, you can really tell, there is no sway!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
We had Road Kings installed right after we bought the coach and have been very happy with them since. The coach had about 6K miles and Koni shocks when we bought it and when we changed 1 of the shocks was already leaking.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I installed Road Kings 5 years and 96,000 miles ago and they are still working great. They ride better today than my original shocks did after 20,000 miles. Road Kings would be my suggestion.

40FDTS
Cookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #12

Just a question for the other 34 footers out there. I seem to remember some years ago a discussion that the later model 34s had weights added to the frame rails and that was to help the porpoising. Comments? I am thinking it was around 600 lbs?

I have about 95,000 on ours and put Koni's on around 30,000. Stll seem to be ok. I have never turned up the damping to the highest level. One of these days I will do that.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #13

Interesting--dont think Koni made/makes the 1021/1022 [gold colored FSD] for the Alpine in an "adjustable" model.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Old Scout, yes the FSD is adjustable, I just had a set installed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks