Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #1

I'm looking to change to a new roadside assistance carrier. What are the pros and cons between Good Sam and AAA? I'm hoping that our readers will please help.

Thanks
Larry
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2007, 04:31 PM   #2

I'm looking to change to a new roadside assistance carrier. What are the pros and cons between Good Sam and AAA? I'm hoping that our readers will please help.

Thanks
Larry
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #3

We have AAA. I had a tire blow out last year and they paid $200, which is our policy limit. The charge was $200 for the service and another $150 to put a used tire on the rim that had the blow out. Felt $150 for the crappy used tire the guy put on was outrageous, but never got back to AAA to complain. My bad. The sucky thing about the experience was that I had six new Goodyears waiting for my at my friends' tire shop on Monday and we were just 100 miles away. Had 37,000 miles on the original Toyo's (not to start a new thread) and they were of the age to be replaced.

So, to answer your question, AAA lived up to their obligation and were easy to deal with. Just made the phone call and the guy arrived in a reasonable time. Just thought that he should have brought at least a reasonable tire (the tire did get me home and to my tire shop).
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We have CoachNet - would recommend you look at them.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #5

I was a long time member of AAA but never seemed to use it except for getting my maps. One day about 5 years ago, I responded to a Good Sam Emergency Road Service ad and changed. Since that time, I have used them twice (for my auto) with complete satisfaction. They almost drive you nuts reporting back about when to expect help!!!

Last year, we had RV friends visiting us in the desert and had to have their truck towed. They called AAA. There policy was to tow 15 miles, only, and he had to pay the balance of the tow. The closest Ford dealer was 55 miles away. I then called Good Sam to learn what their policy was regarding the same situation. They said that it is there policy to limit the tow to 15 miles OR (which is my point here)to the closest qualified repair facility. In this case, they would have paid the entire fee.

My friend had the RV endorsement with AAA. I think he now has Good Sam.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hello to all.

I have had most every road service company that are, or were, in business at one time or another. And, for one reason or another I've found the company that has done the best for me. That is CoachNet. No deductibles or pay first and then wait for reimbursement. I've never be abandoned on long weekend holidays, either, with them. One company told me that it was Memorial Day Weekend (like I wasn't aware of it) and couldn't expect "any help" until Tuesday. I cancelled with them 'bout 5 minutes later.
Just my opinion, but I don't think you can go wrong with CoachNet, and NO, I don't work for them.

J.S.Eddy Douglas, GA
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:54 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
We have AAA and called when we had the flat on the new coach. I was real clear when I called in that we had a large heavy coach that could not be serviced by a regular service truck. A regular service truck is what showed up and could do nothing. I was informed that in some areas they could accommodate our coach but not in all. I ended up calling a truck tire repair service.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 05:18 AM   #8

When we owned a Lazy Daze, we had the same experience with AAA--a flat tire, and they sent out a compact pickup truck with no appropriate jacks, etc. I canceled AAA. We had Good Sam for years and used them a few times and were happy with them. However, when we bought our Alpine, I went with Coach Net. Fortunately, we have not had to use them yet.

Beverly and Buddy
Buddy and Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote