Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:34 AM   #29

an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure

So very true

I am a firm believer in my dogs and my guns, I never leave home without them,

Agree, 100%!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
This thread is a good reminder to all that security is everyones main priority when on the road. FEP, why on earth would you leave your widows wide open when you know you sleep like a rock ? Bad move, I bet you don't do that anymore. People I cannot stress it enough that an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure. In these day's and times one cannot let down his or her guard for a minute. It doesn't mean you have to become a parinoid traveler, but an aware and prepared traveler. Everyone, take a survey of your normal routine and you will probably find a few things you may want to change in regards to your safety. Me, I wouldn't trust a campground any more then a truckstop or a Wal-Mart parking lot

PS: I am a firm believer in my dogs and my guns, I never leave home without them, IMHO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

apackof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #30

Frank- It was a pleasure to meet you yesterday upon our return to Indio from the Alpine rally in Las Vegas. After our conversation my wife Sue and I couldn't quit thinking just how lucky you were that you didn't awaken to find this creep in your coach. He could have killed you!

Have a safe journey East today.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #31

I think it is interesting that KOA did not reply in any fashion to the alert they were sent. I think this implies they knew about the incident and were being advised by their in house attorneys. Probably the most effective way to deal with them now is to post this story on every forum available. If nothing else, it certainly will wake up RVers to being very careful, no matter where they stop.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #32

Mid Atlantic Campers
I wonder if that KOA implied in any way that their GC was secure or provided securety? I wonder if it is part of the national KOA creed to provide a secure environment? You may have a legal recourse here? Have your lawyer friend should send them a letter asking for damages, and see what happens!

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #33

Wow, these people were lucky no one was hurt.

Security is a big thing with us, that is why we take our German Shepherd with us everywhere we go. The last KOA we stayed out informed us they didn't like dogs like ours in their campgrounds, even though he was on a leash the entire time and is highly trained. Oh well, they are kind of pricey anyway.

04 Bounder, 34'
Wolfman Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">posted by Jestme13:
This thread is a good reminder to all that security is everyones main priority when on the road. People I cannot stress it enough that an ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

PS: I am a firm believer in my dogs and my guns, I never leave home without them, IMHO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is a shame, but hard fact!!

Unless you are boondocking far, far away for the crowd, we must be very careful.

Never leave anything in view of the general public that you are not ready to lose.

From years of traveling throughout the world and living out of a suitcase, hotels and rental cars, you must protect your valuables at all times.

Keep things out of the site of strangers. Especially when you are sleeping.

When I stay in a hotel, I even hide my wallet while sleeping at night.

Can't be too careful these days and that is why I am struggling with the size of camping unit to buy. I want to be able to enjoy my days on the road, while at the same time being able to get into the National Forest Campgrounds that are in the more wilderness areas.

DO I REALLY NEED TO BUY A GUN TO PROTECT MY STUFF??
Old 02-20-2007, 05:00 AM   #35

I even lock with pad locks my tow bar and toad to my motor home while traveling. I hate doing this, as in the event of a motor home fire, it would be very difficult to get them unhooked quickly. However, I don't want to come out of a restaurant or rest station and find my toad gone. I have heard of it happening.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:24 AM   #36

Sorry to hear about your experiece. At least you are safe.

Our winter park, GRAND Lake Rv Resort in Fl, had 5 breakins this past weekend. They happened between 1 and 3am while people were sleeping inside their coaches. They were using chairs and ladders from outside to get into their windows. No one got hurt which is good.
Just cash was missing. Pretty gutsy or just plain stupid to break in while people are sleeping less than 15 feet away.

Lisa
younglisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #37

While I understand that it doesnt take many bad folks to offset the good ones. I have camped for some 30 years now and never had a single thing stolen, I have left my fishing rods out for days, tackle box tucked under the unit and bikes laying around everwhere (may have even gotten them in my site for a change- kids left them in the street once). I know that sooner or later someone is going to tag me for something but as long as the family is safe I can live with it. I personally would be a bit more wary of boondocking way out as that would lead me to believe more than possesions would be at risk. I assume most boondockers carry.

It is ashame to hear of things like this as they often will greatly outwiegh all the good stories

W&D+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #38

W&D+3,
I too have been camping a long time and have always felt comfortable leaving things out at campgrounds knowing that the camping community is basically a wonderful group of friendly like minded people.

Unfortunately times change and when you camp anywhere near a populated area the campground becomes a target for "local" gangs to try and find an easy target. That easy target maybe the local RV campground. I always "carry" weather boondocking, or near a town.

It is a shame to hear of things like this, that is why you need to take at least some precautions to protect yourself and your property. IMHO
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:00 AM   #39
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
younglisa, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us and look orward to readign of your adventures and experiences. We hope they will all be good ones and never hear of a storey similar to this thread. Good luck and enjoy the website.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:06 PM   #40

Mid Atlantic Campers

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote