Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
fep

On Jan 8,2007 at the KOA Campground in Forsyth, Ga. I, being alone and headed west, retired early for a 4:00AM departure enabling me to get through Atlanta before 6:00AM. Up at 3:45AM I quickly became aware that my cabin was trashed. My wallet that I had left on the console was on the floor opened - all cash gone, credit cards and license not touched. Cabin ransacked. Other than the cash, nothing missing. Door locked, curtains all closed. Called 911, while awaiting the police, pulled the front curtain and saw my trousers out on a picnic table that had been pulled up to the drivers' window that had been opened (I had neglected to lock it). Police arrived, discovered a small step ladder up against the passenger side window - assumed someone had been posted to listen to see if I might wake up.Investigator declared, "this isn't the first time this has happened". Analysis: This is a campground with many, "Park Models". My 34' Alpine '04 was arguably one of the "nicest rigs" in the park that night. Whoever the "Perp" was knew exactly what he was doing.Fortunately, I'm a sound sleeper, because if I had confronted someone who had put themselves into a situation wherein they could be trapped I would presume they were prepared to "control" the situation and any blood shed would have been mine. KOA didn't seem too concerned and the owner of the campground won't respond. Obviously, there is a predator either in this campground - or nearby - and at least I'd like the Alpine family aware of it.FEP

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
fep

On Jan 8,2007 at the KOA Campground in Forsyth, Ga. I, being alone and headed west, retired early for a 4:00AM departure enabling me to get through Atlanta before 6:00AM. Up at 3:45AM I quickly became aware that my cabin was trashed. My wallet that I had left on the console was on the floor opened - all cash gone, credit cards and license not touched. Cabin ransacked. Other than the cash, nothing missing. Door locked, curtains all closed. Called 911, while awaiting the police, pulled the front curtain and saw my trousers out on a picnic table that had been pulled up to the drivers' window that had been opened (I had neglected to lock it). Police arrived, discovered a small step ladder up against the passenger side window - assumed someone had been posted to listen to see if I might wake up.Investigator declared, "this isn't the first time this has happened". Analysis: This is a campground with many, "Park Models". My 34' Alpine '04 was arguably one of the "nicest rigs" in the park that night. Whoever the "Perp" was knew exactly what he was doing.Fortunately, I'm a sound sleeper, because if I had confronted someone who had put themselves into a situation wherein they could be trapped I would presume they were prepared to "control" the situation and any blood shed would have been mine. KOA didn't seem too concerned and the owner of the campground won't respond. Obviously, there is a predator either in this campground - or nearby - and at least I'd like the Alpine family aware of it.FEP

Old 02-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #3

That's too bad. Like you said, it is good you did just sleep through it rather than find out how desperate that person really was.
That KOA is now off my "Stay" list.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Hello Frank,

Welcome to iRV2, we're really glad to have you here as a new member and are very sorry to learn of your misfortune at the Forsyth, GA KOA. You'll find a great bunch of folks on this site who are very knowledgeable of RVing, the rigs we use, and the places we go in them and I'm sure they'll be equally surprised as I am.

It's extremely rare to hear of a burglary involving an RV at a campground and even more surprising is that one would be burglarized when the perpetrators were aware of it being occupied. It's scary to even think of the ramifications of what could happen in such a brazen burglary. I'm glad you are OK.....the money can be replaced.

Again, welcome to iRV2, we're glad you joined.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:50 AM   #5

An unfortunate incident for sure. Makes me glad to have two alert dogs on board.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
We are really sorry to hear about your robbery, fep! I can't imagine anything scarier than having someone break into our coach while we are in it. However, like Lew, you can see that we also travel with a guardian, and we are that much happier to have her with us when we hear stories like yours!

Take good care!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Must have been pretty desparate burglers to knowing enter and occupied coach. Just be thankful you did sleep thru.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #8

This happened several years ago, it was my own home. I drive truck, wife and i are both gone. We came home on fri, afternoon and something just diden.t look right. we have an alarm system. they took our our whole sterio system pluss all the mony we had stased around the house, we called the cops, they came down ant fingerprinted everything in the house, . it turned out to be my own son.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #9

To fep,
I would think that KOA would be very interested in your "experience" at one of their branded kampgrounds. Go online to koa.com, see Contact Us. Way down near the bottom is: Customer Relations will be happy to hear any feedback you have regarding your stay at a KOA Kampground.

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:07 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Way down near the bottom is: Customer Relations will be happy to hear any feedback you have regarding your stay at a KOA Kampground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe a link to this thread would get their attention? Most businesses hate to get bad press.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:18 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
fep, glad you are okay and glad to have you aboard.

Thanks for the report. We use KOA's a lot when traveling the Interstates and last year we had planned to stay at the KOA in Forsyth. Fortunately, we were delayed and had to stop elsewhere.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #12
AKO

*credit cards and license not touched* ????

Don't be so sure!!!!!! Quite possible that the info was taken and then everything put back, on the hope that it will be longer before the cards are cancelled! The point is, someone dishonest has had access to your personal information. You would be wise to take precautions!
Old 02-05-2007, 07:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AKO:
*credit cards and license not touched* ????

Don't be so sure!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea AKO. A friend of mine was on a cruise with his wife, left his wallet in his stateroom while at dinner. Returned to find room searched, cash gone, but credit cards and personal ID cards in tact. Forgot about it for a couple of months until statements started coming in.

This happened two years ago and he is still struggling with the stolen identification issues.

I suggest contacting an attorney that specializes in ID theft.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I'm sorry to hear of your ordeal! Thank you for relaying the info, I've crossed this cg out in my KOA directory!

ChristineMarie is offline   Reply With Quote