Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
And nothing keeps the toad from smelling for the first hour or 2 after towing it, the road grime just gets on the engien no matter what .

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveCA View Post
And nothing keeps the toad from smelling for the first hour or 2 after towing it, the road grime just gets on the engien no matter what .
I never heard anything like that. I have a diesel and have never experienced anything like that in over 60,000 miles of towing.
What are you towing with ? A steam engine?

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #17

All our toads (4 different ones so far) behind the Alpine do produce a "smell" after towing them. It's like diesel exhaust soot on the air intake to the cabin, and it takes a little while for the smell to clear out when we drive the toad. I have found it helps to make sure the A/C system in the toad is turned to "off" before towing so it doesn't pull in air to the cabin of the toad while towing.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldForester View Post
All our toads (4 different ones so far) behind the Alpine do produce a "smell" after towing them. It's like diesel exhaust soot on the air intake to the cabin, and it takes a little while for the smell to clear out when we drive the toad. I have found it helps to make sure the A/C system in the toad is turned to "off" before towing so it doesn't pull in air to the cabin of the toad while towing.
I drove my toad down the highway and shut off the heater/air controls to find out what setting actually stopped the air from coming in.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #19

Fireguy-42, I'm interested in the shield. I just purchased an 06 CR-V. 817-713-4865
Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #20

Dont know about the smell of road grime on a toad engine but if you are pulling a front wheel drive or a 4-wheel drive all 4 down, the front tires and front/trans axle tend to get a bit warm when you first get in to drive after towing--that is what I have smelled from time to time--but not road grime??????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #21

As far as the wheel mud flaps, I went to a local truck dealer and got Rain Trapper mud flaps and cut the top off and fit them close to the ground. They have a knobby tread and look like floor mat.

I have a Roadmaster Tow defender sitting in the garage that did no good.

The best thing I have used on 3 different toads is is clear vinyl like 3 M product, similar to what WRV used on the front of the coaches but better product. They used a different product because of the heat which is called headlight saver, which I put on the RV and toad. Those plastic lens are expensive. Also did my fog lights. They put it on the bumper, painted part of the grill and about one foot of the front of the hood. I don't need a bug shield either. The shop I went to did everthing from BMW's to SUV's and PU. They use a computer template for a perfect fit. The bottom line, you can even hardly see it and I have no chips or paint damage.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #22

Sorry drbkeele,
Gave the cover away in September.

Gerry
2005 Alpine 36 FDDS
2008 Honda CR-V
Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #23

Regarding the smell after towing:
Never had the problem since I have been using the Tow Shield, as it does seal off the toads vents. Though a little more trouble to install, and yes, it should be cleaned after each use, it does keep the toads front end and windshield clean. Be nice if it covered the top and side windows also, then the after tow dust off would be minimal.

Gerry
2005 Alpine 36 FDDS
2008 Honda CR-V
Old 11-19-2011, 04:47 AM   #24

Thanks. I was having a problem with my toad being covered with soot. I think I found out last night that the "slobber tube" is probably my problem and I need to add a "Puke box" to keep the excess oil-mist that comes out of the "slobber tube" from getting into my RV radiator and on my toad. What "brand" of rock shield do you have?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #25

Hint--If you are getting "excessive" blow-by from your "slobber tube", there is a good chance you are keeping the oil level in your engine too high. Try running a few quarts lower than full--each engine has its own "comfort" level, the markings on the dip stick are just an estimate for what is "full"! No sense trying to keep 27 quarts in the engine if its going to spit out two or three of them.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #26

drbkeele,
It is the "Tow Car Shield" by Coastline Cover Company (www.coastlinecover.com). I had my cover modified with a cut and velcro below the tow bar brackets, to enable installing it with the tow bar in place. I think the new models have that included.

fireguy-42 is offline   Reply With Quote