Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Roof care and maintainence

The owner's manual does not prescribe or describe any...???

When I climbed up there, I was surprised to see it's white, kind of like the rubber roofs on our previous RVs, when the brochure describes it as "one-peice fiberglass".

Also noticed that the caps are caulked with what appears to be "regular ol' caulking"--which has dried and cracked, etc. and needs to be redone--rather than roof caulking.

So, what's the roof made of and what's the recommended maintainence?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #2

Fiberglass sheet that gets warped down over the eaves & captured in the molding @ top of walls.
You need to trim out all the cracked stuff (why they went to that I have no idea, but it will leak when it rains), clean surfaces & replace w/real caulk. I used 3M 5200 for front & back cap seams, which has been excellent (and should be for the price), and 4200 for coax bundle by dome (also spendy).
Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #3

I am going to give my roof a good cleaning to remove all the little black dots then polish and wax the visible edges. Since I don't want a 12' high slip-n-slide I'll leave the flat top unwaxed.

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 AM   #4

Take a look at the caulking around the wires to the satellite radio antenna too. That is where my leak was coming from. The cap sealant was horrible (but fortunately easily removed and replaced), but the sealant around the vents, etc., seemed to be in pretty good shape. They obviously used a variety of sealants up there.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the input. The roof is in great shape except for that caulking at the caps. Yes Jim, it is obvious to us also that different sealants were used.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #6

I found this to be an excellent sealant for just about anything except rubber roofs, which we do not have.

ProFlex Brushable Sealant
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #7

Just poured a freezing cold martini to celebrate. Been depressed for three days waiting for a good break in the rain and roof leaks. I had a leak at the closet slide, and another coming out of a light over the sofa.

The closet slide leak turned out to be the longitudinal roof edge seal above the slide out. I had to look real close to find the cracks in the somewhat dirty, semi-clear caulk/sealant. When I started to strip it out the track was still full of water, and it came out easily. Replaced it w/ProFlexRV by Geocel from CW.

Front leak turned out to be the cable entry under the air horn. WRV sealed all around the edges but not the actual cable hole & cables which are obscured by the signature WRV mounting plate for the horn & antenna assembly. I guess I never left the coach with the roof leveled in just the right (i.e. wrong) plane for water to run straight into the hole. Got it leveled dead on this time and had a lot of snow & rain here in Auburn, CA to add emphasis. I pulled up the horn mounting plate so I could get at the entry, cleaned off all the edge caulk from the plate, and sealed the cable hole and the plate screw holes & heads w/the ProFlexRV. I woulda used Dicor, C-10 or other self-leveling white caulk, but I had the P-F-RV open and didn't want to wast another tube.

When I finish this martooni, I think I'll have another.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 AM   #8

I also had a leak going into the engine compartment on the left rear under the air spoiler where the wires from the back up camera went into the upper top corner of the engine compartment. they did not caulk around the wires very good and was about a 1/2" hole not sealed on the bottom side of the wires . Not easy to get to either.
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote