Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #1

Roof Water Leak

I have a water leak which appears coming from the roof just to the left and just behind the drivers seat, then water flows inside the cabinet, on the left side then drips down through the front cabinets onto the dash and steering wheel. The water seems to be coming from below the plastic cover on the ceiling which covers the interior ceiling seam. There is a seam on the roof to accommodate the design of the roof drop but we have sealed this exterior ceiling seam several times but hasn't worked.
Has anyone experienced this or a similar leak dilemma.

Thank You
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
My 2005 had a leak than came in under the battery solar panel. It took the dealer a week to find it but after they chalked all around the solar panel - the leak has never re-appeared.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #3

My '04 had a similar leak when it was new. It turned out to be two things. First was the caulking on the front cap at the roof. It was badly cracked. The second one was eventually traced to the sealing of the satellite radio antenna on the front cap. Eternabond tape took care of the cap seal. I removed the satellite radio antenna, and covered the hole with Eternabond as well. But I later used the hole for coax cables for the Trav'ler satellite dish. Currently no leaks.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
The front roof A/C seal was leaking. When the removed the A/C to change the seal, they discovered that WRV routed the air lines to the horns across the seal causing a gap. Our leak came straight into the coach but it might be possible for water to travel horizontally till it finds a place to run down into the coach.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:41 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Ditto on what happened to Janet & Todd.

Also, look for brackets that appear to have plenty of sealant on them but can't verify that 100% by simple observation. We had our coach completely resealed and yet water would drip in under the bathroom vent. I looked at mountings several times and then realized that the bracket was mounted on top of the vent housing where I could not verify sealant. Took it apart and viola! Water was seeping in under the back of the bracket because it did not sit tightly in the vent mounting. Passes the Florida rain test now!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #6

Also suggest you check the windshield sealant and around the running lights. I have had leaks at both places.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #7

It has been my experience with water leaks that the running lights often leak and travels back through the coach. But the only way I was able to be sure was to go into the cabinet and insulation and see. It can be tricky. I did this for a living with Guaranty RV in Junction city, OR.
dillpenny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #8

Roof Water Leak

Thanks for all your suggestion..we are still searching.
Larry
Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Larry,

If you decide to simply seal the roof cracking, I would highly recommend Dyco C-10 Self-Leveling Caulk. I was introduced to it by an RV dealer where I had the entire roof (mounted items) resealed as I mentioned in a previous post. It is available at many RV stores directly or online. There may be other similar products but this one is excellent quality in my humble opinion and comes in a few different colors. You can't go wrong!!!
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #10

roof leak

2 places if found leaks was as mentioned the A/C and also a Frisbee looking round disk where wires go thru the roof in the center front not sealed around it.. sealed it and so far no more leaks.. frustrating ...
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:40 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I used “EternaBond RSW-6-50 White Roof Seal” to seal over the front and rear cap joints and around all the other stuff on the roof. I used 6” wide on the front & rear cap joints and cut it to an appropriate width for other areas. EternaBond tape will last forever (well, longer than you coach). Just remember to clean all the area with Mineral Spirits and let it dry good before applying tape. I cut a strip long enough to cover the area and then only remove part of the release paper at a time. It takes a little practice. Once the tape sticks to something – that’s it, it’s stuck – so be careful.

The 1st time I sealed the Front & rear caps with “Dicor Self-Leveling Lap Sealant – White” and that seemed to work OK but I wanted to be sure because I had a leak in the front over the driver seat cabinet and all the electronics were ruined.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roof_Photos.pdf (236.3 KB, 69 views)
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #12

Roof Water Leak

Thank you for your suggestions, photos and advice. I have ordered EternaBond and as soon as I find the location of the leak, I'll use it on all other areas as well.
Larry
Old 10-19-2014, 04:07 AM   #13

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
The front roof A/C seal was leaking. When the removed the A/C to change the seal, they discovered that WRV routed the air lines to the horns across the seal causing a gap. Our leak came straight into the coach but it might be possible for water to travel horizontally till it finds a place to run down into the coach.
WRV routing the horn air lines across the roof, under the AC gasket and into the coach asked for leaks. In order to get the gasket to lay flat on the roof, I cut a small slot in the roof under the gasket for the lines and caulked it.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #14

On mine the coax entry under the horn/antenna bracket was left uncaulked. Additionally, on the high roof models, the front seam seems to separate more easily. I'm going to tape mine w/Dicor DiSEAL 522TPO-450-1C (amazon) shortly, tired of recaulking & having it open again in 6 months. Hoping for better resilience w/the tape.

Tags
leak, roof, water, water leak