Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Routing XM Antenna Wire

I am replacing the in dash radio and need to route a new XM antenna wire from the roof to the in dash radio. What is a good path to route this wire?

djdobbins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
By the way, which antenna are you installing?

Here are a couple...

Digital Antenna 184-TR RV Cellular Antenna (184-TR) from Solid Signal

and

XM and SIRIUS Combo Truck/RV Mirror Mount Antenna - Walmart.com

Old 03-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #3

When I installed mine, I drilled a hole in the roof on the passenger side and routed the wire down the A pillar. The plastic cover comes off easily. I drilled the hole probably about a foot from the side edge and a long grabber tool to help with the wire routing. I used RTV and put the antenna over the hole. Takes a bit of effort, but not a difficult task.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

In the process of doing the same thing in my new coach. You want to make sure the outside satellite dish (if you have one) doesn't block the signal. I attached mine to the fiberglass cap with silicone sealant and used the same thing to seal the hole in my last coach. No problems for over 8 years. Down the A pillar is the best way to go.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Guy at a local tune shop installed something for my XM antenna which is wireless. The radio and XM device must both be on 88.9. Works fine, occasionally I will be in an area with a station on 88.9 that makes it not work for a while. But no wire between the antenna and radio.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Guy at a local tune shop installed something for my XM antenna which is wireless. The radio and XM device must both be on 88.9. Works fine, occasionally I will be in an area with a station on 88.9 that makes it not work for a while. But no wire between the antenna and radio.

Any idea who makes it or what it costs?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Any idea who makes it or what it costs?
What he's talking about is an "FM Modulator" which transmits the signal from the XM radio to the car/motorhome head unit. Many XM/Sirius radios have this feature built in and after market add ons can be found at most stereo stores. They are prone to interference and a hard wired system is much better, I run mine through a male/male 3.5mm jack into the rear AUX input.

What djdobbins1 is asking about is how to route the coax from the exterior mounted antenna for the XM radio to the radio itself. In our '99 I routed it down through a vent at the junction of the cap and side right above the driver's side window, then down the "A" pillar then under the dash pad. Realistically the signal will pass right through the cap so I could have just attached it up in the overhead cabinets then run the wire down the same way. Found out about the signal when doing the bedroom setup for my wife.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
When I put mine in, I put it on the underside of the front up, routing via the A pillar on the drivers side. Works great, and no additional holes in the roof.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Guess I'm not following you.

You ran it from where to where?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
I got access via a overhead bin above the drivers seat (had to remove part of the bin interior) that allowed me to position the puck end on the interior ceiling between it and the fiberglass cap. I then ran the wire down the a pillar, under the dash, to the radio.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #11

Mine is Velcrowed to the inside of my ceiling in an overhead storage compartment, wire tucked inside of A-pillar trim, signal comes through fiberglass just fine, I didn't want to drill more holes.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:25 AM   #12

I went through this recently with my Sirius radio. I routed the wire down the A pillar (removed the plastic cover) and installed my antenna INSIDE the motorhome just underneath the front cap (over the driver seat). The satellite signal can see through fiberglass, just not metal. Works great and I didn't have to drill any holes. This is where many of the factory antenna's are mounted.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
The OEM antenna was routed down the center windshield pillar. (the cover is just velcro'd on) then thru the gap which can be accesed behind the tv to a hole in the front cap roof. Didn't yours come with an XM antenna pre-installed? If it did the end of the wire (super skinny coax) is ususally balled up over the AC vents and can be reached by either a removed dash or possibly from the other side under the dash. If you do need to intall a new antenna consider just wedging it between the fiberglass insulation and the inside top of the front cap. I put my gps antenna there and it works great.
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdobbins1 View Post
I am replacing the in dash radio and need to route a new XM antenna wire from the roof to the in dash radio. What is a good path to route this wire?
My antenna is located just above a yellow clearance light on the front of the cab just above the driver. The wire is routed thru the same hole as the wires for the led clearance light and then goes down thru the left side cover next to the windscreen then into the dash housing. It was that way when I bought it. No leaks. If I were to replace it I would just put it up under the fiberglass cap inside the coach and run the antenna wire down the left side pillar..

2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna